I need a good Flail mower. Thoughts???

thepilgrimlewis

Equipment
L3901 with BH77 backhoe, L6060 with BIG ass rear snow blower
Aug 20, 2023
Durham NH
Hey guys hows it goin ?? I just picked up 5.5 acres and need to mow this jungle of a property. This will include taking down lots of thorn bushes, saplings and overgrown grass. Im told a Flail mower for my L6060 will do the job. Can anyone recommend a good flail mower ?? I believe 72'' is the best size for the L6060.

Is it worth getting the offset embankment version ?? they look super cool !!

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
I picked up the Woodmax FM62H. I use it alongside the driveway.
20230830_162825_small.jpg

I have a top n tilt so I just tilt it some. The hydraulic offset keeps me from getting 'too close' to heaven. I wish it had more. A wider mower would help here.

I also used it in the woods to clear a trail for the dogs. It has hammers on it in lieu of knives.

This year I am going to try cutting the lawn with it also.

Reactions: 1 users

thepilgrimlewis

Equipment
Aug 20, 2023
Durham NH
I picked up the Woodmax FM62H. I use it alongside the driveway.
View attachment 124113

I have a top n tilt so I just tilt it some. The hydraulic offset keeps me from getting 'too close' to heaven. I wish it had more. A wider mower would help here.

I also used it in the woods to clear a trail for the dogs. It has hammers on it in lieu of knives.

This year I am going to try cutting the lawn with it also.
awesome thanks for the input !

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Hey guys hows it goin ?? I just picked up 5.5 acres and need to mow this jungle of a property. This will include taking down lots of thorn bushes, saplings and overgrown grass. Im told a Flail mower for my L6060 will do the job. Can anyone recommend a good flail mower ?? I believe 72'' is the best size for the L6060.

Is it worth getting the offset embankment version ?? they look super cool !!
I have a Del Morino Centurion Super 158 which works very well behind the MX6000. It's only a 5ft cutter but it does have the hydraulic offset and cutting head angle feature. Technically I could cut the face of a hedge but I don't have any of those, so for me it's useful for cutting banks and such. One of the advantages of these offset flails is that you don't have to drive over what you're cutting before you cut it. The right side wheels/tires will run over whatever you're cutting unless you take a 3ft to 4ft pass and then you don't run over anything, but that adds to how long it takes to cut 10 to 12 acres. There's a Flipper Super model now with a 6ft cutting head which would be great, but they're pricey.

Would I buy this exact model again? Yes, I would, or anything made by Del Morino for that matter. Their products exude quality and Good Works Tractor Co., does a great job of supporting the end user.

mx6000_dm_11.jpg

mx6000_dm_10.jpg

mx6000_flail_1.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
I have a Del Morino Centurion Super 158 which works very well behind the MX6000. It's only a 5ft cutter but it does have the hydraulic offset and cutting head angle feature. Technically I could cut the face of a hedge but I don't have any of those, so for me it's useful for cutting banks and such. One of the advantages of these offset flails is that you don't have to drive over what you're cutting before you cut it. The right side wheels/tires will run over whatever you're cutting unless you take a 3ft to 4ft pass and then you don't run over anything, but that adds to how long it takes to cut 10 to 12 acres. There's a Flipper Super model now with a 6ft cutting head which would be great, but they're pricey.

Would I buy this exact model again? Yes, I would, or anything made by Del Morino for that matter. Their products exude quality and Good Works Tractor Co., does a great job of supporting the end user.

View attachment 124623

View attachment 124624

View attachment 124622
now that's an offset!

Reactions: 1 user

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
How well does it handle saplings and brush? What diameter will it reliably cut?

I'm interested on one of these offset mowers to replace my bush hog.
Courtney of Good Works Tractors Co., has a video showing the performance of the Del Morino. Around the 6 minute mark he's running over some thicker stuff, and based on my experience with the 158 I'd say that the video is an honest representation of the flail for all around use.

thepilgrimlewis

Equipment
Aug 20, 2023
Durham NH
Courtney of Good Works Tractors Co., has a video showing the performance of the Del Morino. Around the 6 minute mark he's running over some thicker stuff, and based on my experience with the 158 I'd say that the video is an honest representation of the flail for all around use.

holy crap that thing kicks ass !

• Haha

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Very tempting. An you use yours vertically and have you tried it? How long do your cutters last? Any maintenance issues?

I'm thinking one of these 72" models would be helpful for keeping the field edges clear of scrub and for cutting brush growing through the fence lines.

I want to avoid buying a chinese nightmare again with tail light warranty and unobtainium parts.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Very tempting. An you use yours vertically and have you tried it? How long do your cutters last? Any maintenance issues?

I'm thinking one of these 72" models would be helpful for keeping the field edges clear of scrub and for cutting brush growing through the fence lines.

I want to avoid buying a chinese nightmare again with tail light warranty and unobtainium parts.
I haven't cut anything with the head orientated vertically, but it does make maintenance and inspection a lot easier! :giggle: Like any steel cutting edge, the hammers can be damaged if you run over rocks, steel posts, etc. I've welded and shaped a couple of the hammers that I damaged but it was an easy fix.

These units do a much better job of mulching compared to rotary cutters, but that comes at the cost of ground speed. Also, even with hammers, they'll leave a much better finish on a pasture or lawn compared to a rotary cutter. They're about as close to an all-around cutter as can be found.

Last summer I noticed a "chirp" with the cutter running and reached out to Good Works Tractor Co. I told them I might not have pumped enough grease into the cutting drum bearings and asked them to quote replacement bearings. They sent out a complete set of bearings at no charge which is above and beyond what I expected. Other than the chirp, I've had no maintenance issues so far, and the quality is evident wherever you look.