I have a b2601 tractor with a bx5455hd snowblower front attachment

Roadrunner17

Equipment
B2601
Jan 6, 2022
I am having a problem with the piston that picks it up and down it gets stuck in the down Position and I can't get it up until I relieve the pressure manually then it will pick up and down about 4 times then stuck again could it be broke inside of the piston thanks

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
What is the model of the quick disconnect of your machine? This problem isn't the snowblower, but the attachment part that mounts on the machine. If it is a new machine, I would have the dealer deal with replacing the cylinder. If it is an older unit, then you probably need the cylinder rebuilt. Age doesn't seem to matter, because I have a leaking cylinder that is a little over a year old, and it is leaking, every time I lift or lower my snowblower.

Reactions: 1 user

Roadrunner17

Equipment
B2601
Jan 6, 2022
What is the model of the quick disconnect of your machine? This problem isn't the snowblower, but the attachment part that mounts on the machine. If it is a new machine, I would have the dealer deal with replacing the cylinder. If it is an older unit, then you probably need the cylinder rebuilt. Age doesn't seem to matter, because I have a leaking cylinder that is a little over a year old, and it is leaking, every time I lift or lower my snowblower.

Roadrunner17

Equipment
B2601
Jan 6, 2022
It's a 2017 and just paid it off in August doesn't surprise me but was wondering what does it take to tear the piston apart or just buy a new one

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
The new cylinder is $374.49 and the seal kit part # 70001-00872 is $38.86 and about $100 - $150 to have it installed by an independent shop that repairs cylinders. Do the math, and decide if it is worth repairing. I would remove the cylinder and examine the chrome piston for pitting, scoring, or any other defect and then decide. If the piston is damaged, then buy a new one. If not, have it repaired. If you don't find any damage of the piston and decide to go the route of buying another, I would like to work it out with you where I could get the old piston. I need one for a used one for a project that I am working on.

Reactions: 1 users

tinkerwitheverything

Equipment
bx2370-1
Jun 3, 2015
Manitoba
Cylinder isn't rocket science . as long as the rod isn't bent Take it apart yourself. Not sure what your's looks like but once you have it off sitting on the bench there isn't that much to take it apart. Not sure if the end cap is threaded on or if there's a snap ring on the end cap. Usually you can get away with just replacing the o-rings inside. There should be a o ring inside the cap if your cylinder is leaking oil from the rod it's because this o-ring has failed .The seal on the outer end of the cap is just a dust seal. If the cylinder is leaking internally it's the o-ring inside the cylinder.If you take it apart yourself just keep track of where the o -ring sits in comparison to the wiper rings the o-ring needs to be placed in the same spot Search online how to rebuild a cylinder and go from there.

Last edited:

Roadrunner17

Equipment
B2601
Jan 6, 2022
Cylinder isn't rocket science . as long as the rod isn't bent Take it apart yourself. Not sure what your's looks like but once you have it off sitting on the bench there isn't that much to take it apart. Not sure if the end cap is threaded on or if there's a snap ring on the end cap. Usually you can get away with just replacing the o-rings inside. There should be a o ring inside the cap if your cylinder is leaking oil from the rod it's because this o-ring has failed .The seal on the outer end of the cap is just a dust seal. If the cylinder is leaking internally it's the o-ring inside the cylinder.If you take it apart yourself just keep track of where the o -ring sits in comparison to the wiper rings the o-ring needs to be placed in the same spot Search online how to rebuild a cylinder and go from there.
When I release the pressure by taking off the quick disconnect and pull the pins out of the cylinder and stick a screw driver in the fitting and push on cylinder to release pressure then hook everything up again it will for about 4 times then can't pick up the blower and repeat then the same thing happens.

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
Can you hear the hydraulics whining (relieving) when this happens? When you raise it will it hold in the up position? Take a close look at the quick disconnects for cracks, wear, missing balls, etc.

Last edited:

tinkerwitheverything

Equipment
bx2370-1
Jun 3, 2015
Manitoba
When I release the pressure by taking off the quick disconnect and pull the pins out of the cylinder and stick a screw driver in the fitting and push on cylinder to release pressure then hook everything up again it will for about 4 times then can't pick up the blower and repeat then the same thing happens.
Do you have the lines hooked up properly on the tractor. Seems to me like your return line is in the wrong place not letting oil out of the cylinder. One thing to try is can you put pressure downwards on the cylinder ??? If not change your hoses ?? The two further away from each other should be the ones that your cylinder hoses are connected to for the up and down and the two closest
are for the side movement of your joystick.​

Last edited:

Roadrunner17

Equipment
B2601
Jan 6, 2022
Do you have the lines hooked up properly on the tractor. Seems to me like your return line is in the wrong place not letting oil out of the cylinder. One thing to try is can you put pressure downwards on the cylinder ??? If not change your hoses ?? The two further away from each other should be the ones that your cylinder hoses are connected to for the up and down and the two closest
are for the side movement of your joystick.​
It's hooked up right and been working fine for two months then all of a sudden started doing this

Roadrunner17

Equipment
B2601
Jan 6, 2022
Okay good to know . One thing does down pressure work ??
Yep and it gets stuck I can pick it up after I release it like I said earlier I can pick it up all the way and down then up and down then it goes up slow about half way then down and up even slower then down and nothing won't pick back up

tinkerwitheverything

Equipment
bx2370-1
Jun 3, 2015
Manitoba
It's a possibility that the piston inside the cylinder has broke. Looks like a tear down of the cylinder is the only thing you can do . One other thing to try is if you have another cylinder or front end loader put it on and make sure everything works like its supposed to.

Roadrunner17

Equipment
B2601
Jan 6, 2022
It's a possibility that the piston inside the cylinder has broke. Looks like a tear down of the cylinder is the only thing you can do . One other thing to try is if you have another cylinder or front end loader put it on and make sure everything works like its supposed to.
I have the cylinder off and I can pull the shaft all the way out until it stops doesn't feel broke

Roadrunner17

Equipment
B2601
Jan 6, 2022
Inside it's like a round disc that just fits inside the cylinder thats attached to the shaft could be that part of it has broke also o-ring could be damaged.
Thanks a lot for the help I'm going to tear it apart tomorrow if it's that bad I might go to tractor supply and see if they got one for it

Roadrunner17

Equipment
B2601
Jan 6, 2022
Can you hear the hydraulics whining (relieving) when this happens? When you raise it will it hold in the up position? Take a close look at the quick disconnect for cracks, wear, missing balls, etc.
It sounds like it wants to release but just won't pick up always will just go down and yes it will stay up