I finally tried it

sawmill

Equipment
bx24 backhoe/fel, 48" Bush mower
Nov 16, 2014
ione, washington
I've heard about eating dandelions for years, but I've never tried them. So today I picked some, washed them really good and tossed them in olive oil. Put them in an iron skillet, threw in some chopped onions and some minced garlic, a little salt and black pepper and sauteed them until they were soft. Boy did I get a surprise. They were delicious!!! :D:D:D
Next time I'm going to sautee them in bacon grease. Bet that will really be good.
I've got a never ending supply of them. :)

jbbepic

Jan 11, 2017
Pittsburgh
I met an old timer that was making wine out of the dandelions. It was some powerful stuff I'll tell you. But pretty good tasting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
My grandfather would make them every summer. Would cook them up in bacon grease, onions, salt, pepper, and garlic. Other times it was olive oil, then coated in vinegar. If the dandelions have gone to seed, you held off mowing till he could dig them :D

Another thing that's pretty good is fiddle head ferns.

Corney

Equipment
L1500DT, front end loader, mower, tiller, snow blower
My Grandpa hated mushrooms ( or as he referred to them as horse fungus as he saw where the grew!)

I told him they were great fried in garlic and butter.

He told me that even straw tastes great fried in garlic and butter and he wasn't haven't anything with that either?

Huh?

Last edited:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Yooper, just the leaves similar to collard greens, or even spinach.

JackJ

Equipment
BX1870-1
Mar 14, 2016
Indiana
Don't eat too much! In France dandelions are sometimes known as "pis-en-lit" or "pee in bed" because the leaves are apparently diuretic.

The name "dandelion" is apparently of French origin as well, an Anglicization of "dents de lion" or lion's tooth, due to the aggressive serrated shape of the leaves resembling a scary incisor.

bxray

Equipment
Bx25d
Dec 1, 2014
Cleveland, ohio
I have seen them at the local store for sale.
Thought wow I have a gold mine in my yard.
Now as soon as you start eating them, they will die out!:eek:

Ray

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
We use them same as spinach, cooked or raw.

Always want to get the young greens before they flower. "They" say they're more bitter/tougher later, but I don't know who "they" are other than that's what my folks told me 45 years ago, and gave me a bucket!

Very good!

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Yeah, I'm a culinary moron!

I hunted woodchucks, or groundhogs, for years. Marmota monox is scientific name.

They're a varmint 'round dairy country.

Remington Mod 700 Varmint Special in .22-250. Longest shot ~575 yards. Got 100 a year.

I was a restaurant cook at the time. Not a culinary moron at all.

Friends often asked if I ate them. Grass-fed -- even before it was popular....[emoji39]

Never could eat one. Saw too many with Mainge, other illnesses, fleas, deformities. [emoji15]

Last edited:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Got it. Thanks Daren!

Yeah, I'm a culinary moron!
I wouldn't have had a clue about them if it wasn't for my grandparents :) Vermont was pretty hippy and natural growing up. Especially the younger teachers in school. So we were constantly exposed to natural foods that you could eat that grew in the wild. Including fiddle head ferns, dandelions, grass hoppers, ants, and tea made from the berries of a sumac tree. Which those berries are poisonous for most of there growing season :eek: The best though is pure maple syrup :cool::D:D