I finally figured out a use for independent brakes (and "cruise control")

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
I know the tractor has these features and I did play with them once or twice. i proved the tractor could turn much tighter in 2wd if I stomped on the inside rear brake and I could lock the go-pedal in forward for a long drive down the road but for my usage they weren't really called for and were largely forgotten. Besides, some genius at Kubota put the brake pedals on the same side of the tractor as the go pedal, and I only have one right foot.

I make a rink out on the lake every year once the ice is thick enough. Normally, I clear off an area, cut a hole in the ice, drop in a submersible pump and flood it to level things out. This year, with the on-again-off-again warm weather, there actually was a pretty decent surface provided by Mother Nature. Under the most recent 8" of snow. All I really needed to do was clear the snow and scrape the odd bump off the ice.

The snowblower knocked off the worst of the snow. I took the toothbar off for the scraping. Now here's the problem: There's ice underneath. Smooth, skateable ice. Not conducive to steering -- not with any sort of downforce on the bucket edge, anyway. The tractor just kind of went where the tractor wanted to go. If only there was some way to travel the length of the rink in a straight line with the steering effectively out of commission.

By now, you've probably figured out where I'm going with this.

I'd start at one end, point the tractor at the other, set the bucket at a scraping angle, put some pressure on it, hit the forward pedal, immediately engage the mechanical "cruise control" and then use the brakes to keep things pointed the right way. At the end of the pass I'd get the right foot back on the go pedal, release the "cruise control" and then curl the load up for dumping as normal.

For a feature ostensibly intended to make tighter turns, the independent brakes did a good job of keeping the tractor from turning at all!

Now I can officially state I have a use for every feature of the tractor. I'll sleep better at night. <lol>

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
Congratulations, you figured out a use for both of the extras my L came with as well. So I guess my L has the ice rink grading option too. I never have been impressed with the engineer that figured folks with an HST must have two right feet. At least the newer Bs and Ls have the brakes on the left side now.

That mechanical cruise control seems to be a recipe for disaster for a lessor experienced operator. Turn it on, stomp the brakes, no matter it keeps going. But you can play with the tredal to turn off the cruise control. Can you imagine how that would work out it it was done that way in automotive applications? I suspect it’s not a big a deal in tractors as there are few opportunities to use the cruise control on a CUT, but I would like usable cutting brakes.

Last edited:

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
Congratulations, you figured out a use for both of the extras my L came with as well. So I guess my L has the ice rink grading option too. I never have been impressed with the engineer that figured folks with an HST must have two right feet. At least the newer Bs and Ls have the brakes on the left side now.

That mechanical cruise control seems to be a recipe for disaster for a lessor experienced operator. Turn it on, stomp the brakes, no matter it keeps going. But you can play with the tredal to turn off the cruise control. Can you imagine how that would work out it it was done that way in automotive applications? I suspect it’s not a big a deal in tractors as there are few opportunities to use the cruise control on a CUT, but I would like usable cutting brakes.
Those could surely facilitate lane flip flopping on multilane roads.

GrizBota

Equipment
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
Those could surely facilitate lane flip flopping on multilane roads.
Usefull cutting brakes? Indeed they could, with an operator that has no business on a tractor. More than likely, using a cutting brake unintentionally at speed on the road would put you in the ditch upside down in a second or two. Maybe even a short bumper ride along the way.

rh74

Equipment
LX2610, LA535, BH77, LX2980, RB1672, BB2560, PFL1242
Feb 17, 2024
Hoosick Falls, NY
I thought the the cruise control was kind of joke on my LX2610. The first time I mowed the lawn I found out how handy it was. My lawn is rough to say the least and I couldn't keep the speed consistent with the pedal. My old tractor was a gear transmission so keeping a consistent speed was easy. I'm really glad now it has it, If it didn't the lawn might not have been mowed again.

CGMKCM

Equipment
RVT-1100C, ZD323, L4760
Jan 26, 2021
Randolph county N.C.
My cruise control shuts off when I hit the brake. I use C.C. when tilling the garden and when spreading lime or fertilizer.

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
Since tractors are being outfitted with pooters anyhow, it would be a great improvement if cruise control operated like those on semi trucks. One of if not the biggest reasons for premature failure of diesel engines is operator error.. It's detrimental to any engine but especially bad to operate diesels above or below the narrow rpm power band for load. A fully loaded truck operating in mountainous terrain with cruise will out preform and suffer less wear and tear. Until that is available for tractors I suggest owners of tractors we discuss on OTT equip their engines with pyrometers (excellent idea for light trucks as well). Watching meter while tractor is working near capacity you will see exhaust temperature rising above normal and a little more throttle (or in extreme cases,lower gear) has the immediate effect of sending temperature back to normal.

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Cruise on the B7100 is not that sophisticated. It's just a mechanical linkage and cam that holds down the hydrostat pedal. No connection to the brakes whatsoever.

InTheWoods

Premium Member

Equipment
B7510/FEL, B7100D, ZD18, ASK-R130
Nov 17, 2023
Indiana
I had a front snow blade for my B7100. I used to angle it as I went down my driveway. The side thrust would cause the back end of the tractor to get pushed out so I would apply braking to one wheel in order to keep the tractor going straight. Worked great!

But, bad idea I now realize as it caused a lot of brake wear in a short amount of driving...

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
Cruise on the B7100 is not that sophisticated. It's just a mechanical linkage and cam that holds down the hydrostat pedal. No connection to the brakes whatsoever.
I'm not sure when they quit putting them on cars and trucks but 1946-1953 models I learned to drive had a simple handle connected by cable to carburator that allowed taking your foot off excelerator pedal. Like B7100 ,hitting brakes didn't cancel throttle setting. Lawyers would have a field day with those today.

GrizBota

Equipment
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
I'm not sure when they quit putting them on cars and trucks but 1946-1953 models I learned to drive had a simple handle connected by cable to carburator that allowed taking your foot off excelerator pedal. Like B7100 ,hitting brakes didn't cancel throttle setting. Lawyers would have a field day with those today.
Way back, a buddy had a junker Fiat from the early 70s. The cruse control looked just like a choke pull button/handle. Dangerous as heck, no connections to anything but the carb and certainly didn’t not regulate speed relative to load on the engine.