I broke a gear

Gannon

Equipment
B6000
May 21, 2013
NSW Australia
I was doing some slashing and I put the tractor in neutral and took my foot off the clutch to hop off the tractor without disengaging the PTO and "crunch!"

Now I have no 2nd gear and no 1st speed PTO.

I pulled the cover off the gearbox and found this......

Anybody ever had this happen before?

Attachments

turck

Equipment
m5140, JD2020, ford 850, farmal 240
Apr 20, 2013
carthage, ny usa
If its a transmission pto and it looks like it is, it very well could be what Helped it to break. I have a old 800 ford that I pull my 3 pt finish mower with and once in a while I do the same thing and I notice it appears a little ruff when you let out the clutch in nuetral. Check the bearings while you have it apart.

big boy

Equipment
1980 b7100hstd mmm box scraper
Jun 7, 2013
washoe valley nevada washoe
woooo thats a bad thing to break.hope youll be able to get the parts you need to fix it.if factory parts arn't avaliable then i know a guy in dallas texas whom is parting a 6000 an 6100 out. but shipping to australia might be a problem.sorry if my spelling is bad

Apogee

Equipment
B6100, B7100, B8200, B9200, G4200, L175, L35
Jan 22, 2012
Tacoma, WA
Make sure you stick a small neo magnet in the bottom of the gear case when you put it back together. Would be a bummer to have any metal shavings circulating...

Sorry to see that happened. HUGE bummer!

Steve

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
A little late now, but an overrunning clutch might have prevented this.
I'm not sure that an overrun clutch would have done anything to prevent this- it sounds like he let off the clutch quickly with the PTO in gear, and the sudden load split the gear. An overrun clutch transfers the power when the PTO starts to turn, so it would have done nothing to stop this. Or, maybe I read things wrong.

Gannon

Equipment
B6000
May 21, 2013
NSW Australia
I didnt actually get off the tractor, I stood up so I could lift the hood and read the oil pressure gauge I had just installed.
This is the first tractor I've operated that doesn't have either a 2 stage clutch or push button PTO, so disengaging the PTO wasnt on my mind and I forgot that it had stopped turning.
I'll have to get used to this setup and be more careful in the future.

The slasher has a clutch that I can make slip in both directions by turning by hand, maybe repeated rough clutching by the previous owner has weakened the gear over the years and it was gonna break at some stage anyway.

I found the gear in the parts manual (gear 13) and it is about $76 US, so it should be a tad under $100 AU from a dealer.

Big boy, can you give me some info the guy parting out the B6000, as I am also after an air cleaner oil bowl.

Now I have to read up on how to split the box

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
woooo thats a bad thing to break.hope youll be able to get the parts you need to fix it.if factory parts arn't avaliable then i know a guy in dallas texas whom is parting a 6000 an 6100 out. but shipping to australia might be a problem.sorry if my spelling is bad
I shipped a set of stabilizers to a customer in Australia through the USPS, and it wasn't bad- $41.00 for a large flat rate box. That gear would fit in a small box, so I bet the shipping won't cost nearly what the gear will. And there was no import tax- it had to be worth more than a $1,000, if I remember correctly.

big boy

Equipment
Jun 7, 2013
I didnt actually get off the tractor, I stood up so I could lift the hood and read the oil pressure gauge I had just installed.
This is the first tractor I've operated that doesn't have either a 2 stage clutch or push button PTO, so disengaging the PTO wasnt on my mind and I forgot that it had stopped turning.

The slasher has a clutch that I can make slip in both directions by turning by hand, maybe repeated rough clutching by the previous owner has weakened the gear over the years and it was gonna break at some stage anyway.

I found the gear in the parts manual (gear 13) and it is about $76 US, so it should be a tad under $100 AU from a dealer.

Big boy, can you give me some info the guy parting out the B6000, as I am also after an air cleaner oil bowl.

the guy is listed on cragslist under kubota 2nd page.dallas texas

big boy

Equipment
Jun 7, 2013

mailto:vch5v-3796809556@sale.craigslist.org?subject=Kubota%20B6000%20%26%20B6100%20tractor%20parts%204x4%20-%20%241%20(Corsicana)&body=%0A%0Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fdallas.craigslist.org%2Fsdf%2Fgrd%2F3796809556.html%0A