I bought both!! Cant decide

Reid

Equipment
L4850, L5030HST
May 8, 2015
Deer Park, WA
Hello, I am new to the forum but I would like to say thanks in advance for all the great info.

Well I have been looking for about a year for a decent 40-50 hp machine. I have used a L4330DT quite a bit in the past and I liked that machine. So that is about what I was looking for. However, within a weeks time a L4850 and an L5030 came up for sale at decent prices. I bought both. Because of the tractor shortage around here I don't think I will have any trouble at all re-selling either one.

The L5030 is a 2004 and has 1400 hours on it with an HST, a standard square back pin on bucket. It looks like the previous owners had never used the 3-point, but the bucket looks like it has been well used.

The L4850 is a 1994 and has 1700 hours on it with a hydraulic shuttle, a nice round back pin on bucket. It seems to have normal wear for 1700 hrs. But this machine definitely has heavier parts (axle housing and such).

I've used both of them but I'm not sure which one to keep and which one to sell. The HST is nice on the L5030 but the L4850 looks like its built like a Sherman Tank.

Any suggestions? Which one is going to be more versatile and give me the most amount of wear/use.

mickeyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 L3200 DT w/LA524 FEL, 2019 Kubota Z121S w/ 48" Pro Dec, TG1860G w/RCK54TG
Mar 21, 2014
Guin, AL
Welcome to OTT Reid. Is that Deer Park, IL? Must be nice to be able to get both tractors.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
I guess it depends on your uses. My L5030 was a very good tractor and did everything I needed and I really like the HST though I also regularly use a hydraulic shuttle.

I worked side by side yesterday with my L5740 and a synchronized shuttle tractor and mine was much quicker on changing directions and the other driver is a better operator than me. When he uses our hydraulic shuttle, there is no difference in speed though the geared unit tires you out a bit quicker with lots of direction changes. If frequent changes in directions is not an issue, it's pretty much a wash.

The 4850 is a bit heavier, but only by 300 pounds.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Hello, I am new to the forum but I would like to say thanks in advance for all the great info.

Well I have been looking for about a year for a decent 40-50 hp machine. I have used a L4330DT quite a bit in the past and I liked that machine. So that is about what I was looking for. However, within a weeks time a L4850 and an L5030 came up for sale at decent prices. I bought both. Because of the tractor shortage around here I don't think I will have any trouble at all re-selling either one.

The L5030 is a 2004 and has 1400 hours on it with an HST, a standard square back pin on bucket. It looks like the previous owners had never used the 3-point, but the bucket looks like it has been well used.

The L4850 is a 1994 and has 1700 hours on it with a hydraulic shuttle, a nice round back pin on bucket. It seems to have normal wear for 1700 hrs. But this machine definitely has heavier parts (axle housing and such).

I've used both of them but I'm not sure which one to keep and which one to sell. The HST is nice on the L5030 but the L4850 looks like its built like a Sherman Tank.

Any suggestions? Which one is going to be more versatile and give me the most amount of wear/use.
I think, looking at the slight differences between the two - and really they look on paper to be very similar I would go with the newer one. Both make about the same HP through two different engines of the same size, near is 4 cyl(2.4L), older is 5 cyl (2.5L).

Not that is plays into the decision - the newer one has a few less hours.

But the main reason would be the HST - I topic that has been discussed here a lot. SHuttle shift is nice, but HST is nicccccer !

Not sure the lever configuration - but you would have to take your hand off the bucket stick to use the shuttle lever? Small thing, but being that you can use bucket and machine without removing hands from controls is a minor advantage.

Then again - I might have to use both for a week or so.....and see for myself!:eek::)

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Ya, you bought them both so use them until you need the funds back. Let time make your decision. May be which one sells first. Maybe you'll keep both, who knows?

Reid

Equipment
L4850, L5030HST
May 8, 2015
Deer Park, WA
Thank you all for the replies!

Welcome to OTT Reid. Is that Deer Park, IL? Must be nice to be able to get both tractors.
Deer Park, WA

I right now I am leaning towards keeping the L5030. changing directions with the HST is very smooth compared to the shuttle.

I noticed the front ends are quite a bit different between the two machines. Is the L4850 a solid front axle and the L5030 hydraulic drive?

Also, I know there are clutches to replace on the DT model, but I was told that the HST doesn't really have any wear parts, is this true?