I bought a brand new lemon and Kubota refuses to help me

MyKubotareallysucks

Equipment
ZD1211
Jan 31, 2022
Central North Carolina
My nightmare, short story form.
I have reached out to Kubota corporate REPEATEDLY without response via phone and email. I heard from several friends that this forum might be a good resource to figure out how to get this machine fixed. I'm at my wits end and throwing myself at the mercy of you fine readers.

At less than 80 hours on this machine the transmission exploded requiring an entirely new transmission. The dealership had my machine for 5+ months costing me thousands of dollars in having my property mowed by a private company. I was asked upon the repair shop opening my mower if i had "Shot the transmission with a gun". WHAT? No. Apparently there was a hole the size of a bullet from a loose part exploding out of the transmission case. Clearly a manufacturer defect.
When I asked for details on what they were doing with my machine I was told that I "wouldn't understand it" and that it was all in code. When I insisted I have documentation about what they were doing to my mower I was told "you can come down here and pick the paperwork up from me personally" as a threat. I have YET to receive any paperwork despite requesting it repeatedly.
They returned my mower eventually and the moment I engaged the PTO it failed AGAIN. This is after only having it back for one hour--very clearly the mower was not tested before bringing it back to me. Once again they had my mower for an extended period of time and I finally got it back in the fall--after mowing season ended. I have YET to get digital documentation of what was wrong with, and what was repaired on my mower. When it returned I used it for half an hour to ensure it wouldn't fail again.
This past spring season I used the mower for less than 8 hours and it has failed AGAIN and Sanford Central Carolina Equipment refused to look at it. Of course now it's out of warranty coverage. This machine has fewer than 100 hours on it--I bought the VERY BEST MACHINE I could --spending more money on a mower than I have in my life--with the hopes that it would serve me well for many years. It has been a very big disappointment and while I understand that Kubota has lovely machines, they aren't worth anything if they don't run and don't have professional and capable people to repair them.
I understand that machines can fail and accept that sometimes I get the short end of the stick. What I fail to comprehend is that a company such as Kubota does not stand behind the professional line of machines they produce.
Had my machine been repaired properly originally and gotten back to me in a decent amount of time, it would still be covered under insurance and/or warranty.

Out of desperation being turned away from my local Kubota dealer (who happily SOLD me this machine) I had a local mechanic look at it. This is what he found.

This machine has 86 hours on it, and this is the second time it's happened in 10 hours or work.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I have reached out to Kubota corporate REPEATEDLY without response via phone and email. I heard from several friends that this forum might be a good resource to figure out how to get this machine fixed. I'm at my wits end and throwing myself at the mercy of you fine readers.

At less than 80 hours on this machine the transmission exploded requiring an entirely new transmission. The dealership had my machine for 5+ months costing me thousands of dollars in having my property mowed by a private company. I was asked upon the repair shop opening my mower if i had "Shot the transmission with a gun". WHAT? No. Apparently there was a hole the size of a bullet from a loose part exploding out of the transmission case. Clearly a manufacturer defect.
When I asked for details on what they were doing with my machine I was told that I "wouldn't understand it" and that it was all in code. When I insisted I have documentation about what they were doing to my mower I was told "you can come down here and pick the paperwork up from me personally" as a threat. I have YET to receive any paperwork despite requesting it repeatedly.
They returned my mower eventually and the moment I engaged the PTO it failed AGAIN. This is after only having it back for one hour--very clearly the mower was not tested before bringing it back to me. Once again they had my mower for an extended period of time and I finally got it back in the fall--after mowing season ended. I have YET to get digital documentation of what was wrong with, and what was repaired on my mower. When it returned I used it for half an hour to ensure it wouldn't fail again.
This past spring season I used the mower for less than 8 hours and it has failed AGAIN and Sanford Central Carolina Equipment refused to look at it. Of course now it's out of warranty coverage. This machine has fewer than 100 hours on it--I bought the VERY BEST MACHINE I could --spending more money on a mower than I have in my life--with the hopes that it would serve me well for many years. It has been a very big disappointment and while I understand that Kubota has lovely machines, they aren't worth anything if they don't run and don't have professional and capable people to repair them.
I understand that machines can fail and accept that sometimes I get the short end of the stick. What I fail to comprehend is that a company such as Kubota does not stand behind the professional line of machines they produce.
Had my machine been repaired properly originally and gotten back to me in a decent amount of time, it would still be covered under insurance and/or warranty.

Out of desperation being turned away from my local Kubota dealer (who happily SOLD me this machine) I had a local mechanic look at it. This is what he found.

This machine has 86 hours on it, and this is the second time it's happened in 10 hours or work.

Open a case with Kubota Customer Satisfaction. Contact information is in your warranty book.

Write, rather than calling.

State your case assertively yet politely.

Good luck. It sounds like most of this is dealer negligence. I would expect no help from your dealer.

SDT

Reactions: 2 users

kubotafreak

Equipment
GRAND l6060, L3560, B6100, gr2100, tg 1860, g1800, g1900, g2160
Sep 20, 2018
Arkansas, US
Definitely sounds like a cascade failure from the transmission issue. I find it curious that they thought it was shot with a gun. Problem you have now is you have probably been blacklisted by the selling dealer. Many times the manufacturer relies solely in their discretion. I would fix it move on, and make your case as you have on digital means, being polite of course. If that gets you nothing then you are probably out of luck. Usually in cases like this, your better alternative was to seperate ties with that dealer, and find a new one before too much bad interaction takes place.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
you need to find the real business addresses for two people.
1) CEO of Kubota USA
2) CEO of Kubota Japan

Write a ONE page letter to #1 above, explaining the situation, using clear ,precise words.

something like ..
Dear Mr. fill in his name
I understand you're a busy man, running Kubota USA and I wish I was busy cutting my lawns with the brand new 'insert model number here'. Sadly this is not the case.
After only xxx hrs, the machine literally blew up and after MONTHS of frustration with the dealer, insert name here', I finally get it back, then, less than xx hrs later it blows up for the SECOND time !
The SAME damage !! Obviously I'm not happy, I spent a lot of money buying what should have been a GREAT machine, after all KUBOTA has a great reputation for building reliable products.
I am asking for you to have this machine repaired free of charge or another one delivered as a replacement as soon as possible. Spring will soon be here, and I'd love to be able to ride my 'orange'.

Sincerely

fill in name here

I've written similar letters and received more than I asked for.
Jay

Reactions: 3 users

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
hmm... going to guess you may have a hard row to hoe now that a local non Kubota mechanic has started work on the transmission.

Like most companies I suspect request for service and repairs go through their dealership network versus head office as head office (Corp.) deals direct with dealers and dealers deal direct with the customers. I have found my dealer excellent in helping me out when things go bad.

hopefully I am wrong and fingers crossed for you going forward.

keep us advised as a newbie to OTT as I am sure many will like to know outcome of this one.

Last edited:

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico

Contact the Kubota regional factory representative for your area. It may take some digging to find out who that is, but this sort of dealer dispute is what the representative does.

Reactions: 1 user

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
You could try small claims court if Kubota gives you no relief. I see the limit in New Mexico is $10,000.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
There some information either left out, or some things dont add up. Sorry.

On Transmission #2 I'd have called Kubota immediately. The number is on their website, and in the books you have. Now, when you call them the one of the first thing they're gonna ask is what dealer is working on it. They want to know where to send their factory rep to inspect. If it ain't at a dealer, they ain't helping. But you should STILL call them anyway. Based on the username and all of the typing of the story, I'd guess that going back to the dealer is probably out of the question at this point. They'll oftentimes make exceptions, but a non-dealer isn't one of them.

So the question is what's causing the failure, and what's being done to remedy it? I've seen this. There was a bulletin out for it as I remember, right about the time I was leaving the dealer I remember them saying that so-and-so's transmission job has a bulletin on it. Of course I was leaving, so what did it matter to me. Question. Did the dealer reference Kubotalink for any applicable bulletins? You may not know, but you should at least ask. Often they get so busy with work that they forget to look. It takes time to search but it isn't hard. That time isn't covered under warranty usually since they have "flat labor rates" that they have to go by (and even outside warranty they use them), meaning if the job pays 1.0 hour and it takes 1.0 hour, they're not going to spend much if any more time looking up any bulletins. One reason I don't care for flat rate labor; but it can work lots of different ways. For and against. From an administration standpoint it works great. For the tech and customer not so much, well not always anyway.

Should have gone to the dealer in person. Always work with them in person if possible. Make time if needed. It's an investment. The dealer most likely would gladly have sat down to explain it to you, and if not, get the technician that's doing the work explain it. I did a LOT of that as a technician!! Way more than needed to be honest. The service manager is not always fluent in mechanic jargon.

Reactions: 4 users

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
you need to find the real business addresses for two people.
1) CEO of Kubota USA
2) CEO of Kubota Japan

The Japanese business model is that their dealers handle all customer interaction.

However, Mr. Todd Stucke is the executive officer who covers product support. Address is:
1000 Kubota Drive
Grapevine TX 76051

Mr. Shingo Hanada is President and CEO of Kubota Tractor USA, as of 2022.

My suggestion is that you find Mr. Stucke's assistant and try to work directly through him/her.

Better luck to you.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I'm sorry about your troubles. I can't figure out what exactly broke from your story. It would be helpful to understand the story if you started by posting what model of tractor you have.

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
Open a case with Kubota Customer Satisfaction. Contact information is in your warranty book.

Write, rather than calling.
I have an ongoing backhoe problem that is not going to be fixed, Kubota just does not care.

I wrote Customer Satisfaction twice and called them once............... Nothing, Nothing, Nothing.

And what is a warranty book? I asked my dealer for warranty documents................... Nothing.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
@MyKubotareallysucks, we all hate to hear this sort of thing. All I can add to the conversation is that it can be a good thing if you buy a product using Kubota financing. I'm not saying that this would necessarily apply to you now or at any point but it provides leverage in situations like this.

As far as I can tell, your dealer is the problem and not Kubota. I'm fortunate to have an incredible dealer near me who understands customer service and the importance of long-term relationships. Plus the mechanics there are intelligent and competent individuals that take real pride in their work.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I have an ongoing backhoe problem that is not going to be fixed, Kubota just does not care.

I wrote Customer Satisfaction twice and called them once............... Nothing, Nothing, Nothing.

And what is a warranty book? I asked my dealer for warranty documents................... Nothing.
You should have been supplied with a warranty booklet when you purchased your mower.

Sounds like yet another dealer issue.

SDT

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA

Not sure how you paid for it, but from what I have read financing and getting Kubota insurance, if you did not, might have been beneficial in your case. Seems like the Kubota insurance, which is something you are forced to take if financing (I think), offers some great benefits when things go sour.

Water over the dam at this point probably, but something to consider for others that read this thread and are thinking of a new equipment purchase.

In my case I paid cash for the first tractor and never thought about it. The second one I financed and paid off early. No problems in either case...lucky me.

MyKubotareallysucks

Equipment
ZD1211
Jan 31, 2022
Central North Carolina
Update- after almost two years of fighting with Kubota and my local dealer I finally reached someone who would listen.
they weren’t with Kubota, but with Ohio indemnity- the ktac insurance company. They heard my story and said “we got this”.
Took a few months, but they had an independent review done of this case and determined the machine had to be totaled. It was bought back from me.

Reactions: 10 users

LRoyJetson

May 17, 2015
va
What a Flustercluk, glad to hear it was resolved. Sounds like Kubota and your dealer dropped the ball big time. Just curious, what unit are you going with now? Alot of machines (makes) now are similar, dealer support and service should always be taken into the equation.

majorwager

Equipment
MX5100 FEL ford 1620 FEL International 484 FEL Lull 844C
You could try small claims court if Kubota gives you no relief. I see the limit in New Mexico is $10,000.
In NY small claims requires the plaintiff & defendant to have a physical business address in that or a contiguous jurisdiction.
Other suggestions, such as directly dealing politely w/ Kubota, in writting, seem a better remedy.