I bought a box blade last Friday, finally.

Mike_B

Equipment
B2320 w/MMM & FEL, & a bunch of Stihl power equipment. Lincoln SA250 for repairs
Oct 27, 2012
the Dusty South
I had to settle a bit on what I bought due to the holiday. The biggest issue was my mother had a mini stroke on Monday & the drive was a bit rough for the emergency vehicles. The fire truck both got stuck & hit a tree trying to get out. When it got stuck the ambulance she was in was blocked in. My local dealer had a 54" Landpride in stock but closed too early for me to get there. So off to tractor supply I went. Not happy with the rebadged equipment quality but had little choice seeing how I needed to get busy. The county line piece is made by Tater/Tatur, supposedly tough built but every weld on it needs to be redone. I'm up to that when I get my hands on another welding machine. Honestly it is made of heavier materials than the Landpride & outweighs it by 60# I believe. I also had to get a 60" over the 54" I would've rather had. Regardless of everything, it works & works well now that I've figured it out. I have my tires filled & generally run in low gear around 2800 rpm, without the scarifiers. I'm now considering a quick hitch to simplify things. I'm also considering making a ripper/scarifier to mount to the 3pt hitch drawbar I made for carrying a hitch haul for trash duty. To attach 2 of the scarifiers for making my water runoff diversions to minimize washing & save on the purchase of a bottom plow. This is an improvement to something my father made for running several hundred foot of water line with a much smaller Powerking 14 hp 2 wd tractor. I am limited on funds for this new project as my welding machine was basically stolen & funds are needed to help with lots of meds for my mother. So any ideas on where to procure lengths of scrap steel at good prices or free are welcome. I need to work within the constraints of pitching things together out of what I have on hand our can get for free. This also leads me to any ideas or pics of things you guys have made from what you have on hand. The driveway has been widened & smoothed fort future emergency vehicles. Working an hour at a time between rain showers has proved tough but has shown me each time where improvements are needed & where I plainly screwed up. I will edit with some pics of my tractor & scraper box. I will also try getting some progress pics. Thanx in advance for any ideas our advice. For the record my soil conditions are sand, packed & loose! The FEL has proved it's worth to quickly move scrapped spills to where I can add them for building up low spots & spreading them.

F Area

Edit: if pics can't be seen let me know & I will upload them to photobucket. Tractor is a B2320

Attachments

Last edited:

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
You are aware the top link is extended out to far, the box sould sit flat and level to the ground.

Mike_B

Equipment
B2320 w/MMM & FEL, & a bunch of Stihl power equipment. Lincoln SA250 for repairs
Oct 27, 2012
the Dusty South
Nice aspect of the equipment is the many different adjustments for desired finished. Actually I had between grooming over an old driveway that I maintain as a walking path for my mother. It helps avoid twisted ankles, loss of balance, & snake encounters. Granted the wife's ever vigilant weenie dog help with snake patrol on walks with my mother.

F Area

Last edited:

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Sorry to hear about your mom and need for rushed purchase, but I am glad you got something that works well for you. I am a big fan of LP equipment as they have stuff from light to heavy duty, but a box blade is not rocket science engineering and we have several off brands out on one of our farms that my brothers have been quite happy with for many years.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I have to admit 12 year ago when I got my King Kutter box I took a chance on it with it being an affordable price and I must say I've been pleased with it over the years. I think I paid $350 for it new.

Mike_B

Equipment
Oct 27, 2012
the Dusty South
Thanx TripleR, & I found out this morning the narrower parts of the drive are wide enough now. My mom had to take another trip to the hospital. She was admitted for pneumonia this afternoon. I did a little more work after returning home. I worked until the rain started again.

F Area

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Best wishes for a quick recovery of your mother.