cabu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kuno B1-15 (B1502DT)
May 24, 2009
Germany, Oyten
so a 4x8 beam would be to big?
The question is not correct ;)

When you are talking about I-beams you have to specify the type. Because regarding the shape, the strenghness does change. So if you have the same measurements at a W-, S-, C-, MC-beam, or a german kind, they are all different. The steel is thicker or thinner, it changes the thickness to edge or not, and so on.
Additional to the shape the question is also how "hard" is the steel, the 'ksi' value.

There is a reason why these books of steel are so big.

I understand that a lot of friends here in this forum hear that theory-stuff and calculation the first time. They have a hugh knowledge and know how to work with their hands, but have never faced such need's to do such mechanic calculations. You have such stuff at collage or university when you study mechanics, constructions or like me medical engineering. But a guy who study computer, business or agricultur or running a farm, a workshop or a landscaping business will have to make extra classes... :eek:

@ skeets: So what is your question again? Or better, do you also want to place somewhere an I-beam?

der carl

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Or better, do you also want to place somewhere an I-beam?
Now if you asked my lovely bride where she would like you place that I beam, I think I would be walkin around really funny :eek:

Kubota_Man

Equipment
BX24, Rear blade, Front blade, Snowblower, 54" MMM, Box scraper, Landscape rake
Dec 25, 2010
Kellogg, Idaho
AND Jeff Dunham would have a new puppet. Skeetz on a stick...
Now thats some funny stuff there :p

So Cabu I don't even pretend to understand the calculations you have provided (deer in the headlight look :eek: ) So what are the diffrences between the two I-Beams?

Dennis T. Your old Beamer looks sweet.

cabu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kuno B1-15 (B1502DT)
May 24, 2009
Germany, Oyten
...what are the diffrences between the two I-Beams?...
Dear deer in front of my car :eek:

You want to lift 1500lbs
Your barn can carry 4000lbs
First choise I-beam S4x9.5 can carry 4770 lbs
Second choise I-beam S3x7.5 can carry 2742 lbs

Take the second, what will not damage the barn. But its limit is just 1.8 x 1500lbs, that mean you have to take care that the weight will not start to swing above your head... ;)

Does the deer still stares at my cars headlights??

der carl

Kubota_Man

Equipment
Dec 25, 2010
Kellogg, Idaho
Does the deer still stares at my cars headlights??

der carl
Not as much :eek:

Does that mean S3x7.5 can carry 2742 lbs in the center of a 12' span with no damage? and is that 7.5 lbs or Kg?

cabu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kuno B1-15 (B1502DT)
May 24, 2009
Germany, Oyten
Not as much :eek:

Does that mean S3x7.5 can carry 2742 lbs in the center of a 12' span with no damage? and is that 7.5 lbs or Kg?
2742lbs in center, no damage: Yes, still in elastic limit. But at the limit!!

"7.5 lbs or Kg" : nominal Wt. per ft in lbs
The "S3x7.5" is the name of the shape of the beam. (List)

der carl

Kubota_Man

Equipment
Dec 25, 2010
Kellogg, Idaho
:D

Where are the pictures with the flying BX24???

der carl
Well after I put a turbo and a super charger on (with those mods I should be able to get up to 12 mph from 8.1 mph) and build a ramp I'll post one :D

In all actually it is going have to wait for a bit.....After I got all of the prices together and put it before the financial advisor aka the lovely Wifey-Poo the idea was put on hold :mad: