Hyperbaric Oxygen

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
WAY....OFF TOPIC!

I had proton radiation therapy for prostate cancer, 28 years ago, at Loma Linda University Med. Ctr., in CA.
Fantastic treatment, with PSA still undetectable after all these years,
Due to recent occasional small amounts of blood passage though, my urologist is now recommending Hyperbaric oxygen treatment.
He says this may/should help radiation damaged bladder area to stop bleeding.
Does anyone here have any experience with Hyperbaric oxygen treatment?
Good or bad?

Reactions: 1 user

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
WAY....OFF TOPIC!

I had proton radiation therapy for prostate cancer, 28 years ago, at Loma Linda University Med. Ctr., in CA.
Fantastic treatment, with PSA still undetectable after all these years,
Due to recent occasional small amounts of blood passage though, my urologist is now recommending Hyperbaric oxygen treatment.
He says this may/should help radiation damaged bladder area to stop bleeding.
Does anyone here have any experience with Hyperbaric oxygen treatment?
Good or bad?
I know that it is sometimes used for diabetics who have wounds that don’t heal.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I can’t comment on that treatment… sorry.

One of the things I find universal…is the men that undergo prostate treatments …regardless of type of treatment…. are unwilling to tell the truth about impotence.

I worked with two guys who had different treatments…one “robotic prostatectomy” (this is removal via laparoscopic techniques)… This fellow went to Atlanta GA where it was given a mysterious name “Da Vinci Method”….but it’s the same type surgery… The other fellow did radiation therapy.

Both claimed to remain sexually intact and active. The doctors I’ve talked to, including my own family member who practices at San Antonio Presbyterian Hospital and who is a featured presenter on local television health shows…. says that despite the many treatments and “alternatives” described and promoted by the health industry….. a prostatectomy results in impotence.

I do not know about proton therapy other than it was offered to me and I decided against it.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
There are a lot of up side to the treatment, and very low / little down side.
It just helps your cells be able to heal faster.
It's not quick or a one off treatment, but it can have lasting benefits.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I can’t comment on that treatment… sorry.

One of the things I find universal…is the men that undergo prostate treatments …regardless of type of treatment…. are unwilling to tell the truth about impotence.

I worked with two guys who had different treatments…one “robotic prostatectomy” (this is removal via laparoscopic techniques)… This fellow went to Atlanta GA where it was given a mysterious name “Da Vinci Method”….but it’s the same type surgery… The other fellow did radiation therapy.

Both claimed to remain sexually intact and active. The doctors I’ve talked to, including my own family member who practices at San Antonio Presbyterian Hospital and who is a featured presenter on local television health shows…. says that despite the many treatments and “alternatives” described and promoted by the health industry….. a prostatectomy results in impotence.

I do not know about proton therapy other than it was offered to me and I decided against it.

Well........here is part of my personal story about Proton radiation therapy for prostate cancer.
I DID NOT HAVE A PROSTATECTOMY!
I was treated with proton radiation in February/March of 1996, at 55 years old.
Loma Linda University Medical Center, Loma Linda, CA.

My divorce was finalized in early October of 1997.
From October of 1997 to November of 2018 (21 years) I had a more active sex life than in all my earlier years (I did just fine in those much earlier years with my ex-wife).
All sex since 2000, was with my current ( now 24 year ) wonderful partner.

It is over now though.
She quit at 72, ......thus causing me to quit at 78 (am now 83).

It was a great.... "ride".... though! ;)
I am BEYOND EXCEEDINGLY HAPPY,........ THAT I CHOSE THE PROTON RADIATION ROUTE!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
sorry fried, can't answer your question. I can only pose a question...

I just had a checkup last week (last one was in 2022). Now they want me to go for another MRI since I told them that I'm not down with any more exploratory biopsies. I've had two of them already and didn't really enjoy the procedure. :( My PSA's have run from 1.7 - 2.4 for the last 4 or so years and I'll turn 58 in March. I feel like I'm just being taken for a ride since I have good insurance.

What sort of PSA levels were you guys seeing when you decided to go for "treatments"?

GrassLakeRon

Equipment
B8200HST-DP , RC60-82h Mower Deck, Woods RB6 Rear Blade
Oct 27, 2023
Grass Lake, Michigan
Well........here is part of my personal story about Proton radiation therapy for prostate cancer.
I DID NOT HAVE A PROSTATECTOMY!
I was treated with proton radiation in February/March of 1996, at 55 years old.
Loma Linda University Medical Center, Loma Linda, CA.

My divorce was finalized in early October of 1997.
From October of 1997 to November of 2018 (21 years) I had a more active sex life than in all my earlier years (I did just fine in those much earlier years with my ex-wife).
All sex since 2000, was with my current ( now 24 year ) wonderful partner.

It is over now though.
She quit at 72, ......thus causing me to quit at 78 (am now 83).

It was a great.... "ride".... though! ;)
I am BEYOND EXCEEDINGLY HAPPY,........ THAT I CHOSE THE PROTON RADIATION ROUTE!
Let me say...in big letters.... GOOD FOR YOU BOTH.

I'm hoping to have a run like that myself. Makes me hopeful.

Jsjac

Equipment
B2650
Feb 13, 2022
New Hampshire
I have chronic Lime disease and a co infection.
It has been suggested that I try Hyperbaric oxygen to help possibly get this under control finally.
Have not tried it yet.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Let me say...in big letters.... GOOD FOR YOU BOTH.

I'm hoping to have a run like that myself. Makes me hopeful.
Because I had heard all the naysayers PRIOR to my proton radiation, I actually kept "score" ;) over a 6 week ( cruise ) period, two years after my proton treatment.

Last edited:

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
This fellow went to Atlanta GA where it was given a mysterious name “Da Vinci Method”….but it’s the same type surgery… The other fellow did radiation therapy.
DaVinci is the make of the robotic machine used for the surgery. It's made by Intuitive Surgical, I made a bit of money off their stock years ago when they went public. A local hospital had one of the first DaVinci machines in the area.

Smokeydog

Equipment
M59, B26 grapples, backhoes, tillers, graders, diesel atv
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
Very little potential side effects from hyperbaric treatments. While the cure is not guaranteed, it is probably the least evasive option.

live long enough, men have 98% chance of getting prostatic cancer. Stages vary from not needing treatment to aggressively spreading. Good to hear about your successful radiation treatment. While not the most comfortable subject to discuss, an important and necessary one. Detection and treatments have greatly improved in our lifetime. Good treatable results when caught early.

wp6529

Equipment
B7100DT
Oct 31, 2023
TX
Other than potential cost, there is pretty much no negatives to hyperbaric oxygen treatment.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Very little potential side effects from hyperbaric treatments. While the cure is not guaranteed, it is probably the least evasive option.

live long enough, men have 98% chance of getting prostatic cancer. Stages vary from not needing treatment to aggressively spreading. Good to hear about your successful radiation treatment. While not the most comfortable subject to discuss, an important and necessary one. Detection and treatments have greatly improved in our lifetime. Good treatable results when caught early.
I think you mean least invasive, rather than "least evasive"...

My dad died with metastasized prostate cancer, so when I was diagnosed with prostate cancer at 55, I really felt that I must seek the best treatment possible.
Several acquaintances/friends had radical prostatectomies, were left with "positive margins", and though treated with "follow up" radiation, later died of metastic cancer.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
sorry fried, can't answer your question. I can only pose a question...

I just had a checkup last week (last one was in 2022). Now they want me to go for another MRI since I told them that I'm not down with any more exploratory biopsies. I've had two of them already and didn't really enjoy the procedure. :( My PSA's have run from 1.7 - 2.4 for the last 4 or so years and I'll turn 58 in March. I feel like I'm just being taken for a ride since I have good insurance.

What sort of PSA levels were you guys seeing when you decided to go for "treatments"?

Her is my nonprofessional opinion!

You ARE being "taken for a ride".
I had a PSA of 9 when I opted for treatment at age 55.
My dad had died from metastasized PC, so I was high risk.

My suggestion: Just monitor yearly, and go on with your life.
If you EVER do need treatment, DO NOT let some Urologist cut a hole in you!