Hydrostatic pump replacement on bx23

DRF

Equipment
KUBOTA BX23 TLB
Apr 30, 2015
ROCHESTER NY
Just finished a pump replacement on my bx23. The fan had no blades on it for who knows how long, tractor is ten years old with 1100hrs on it. I did it from the front without taking the entire rear end out as kubota suggests. Note to others " the new pump came with out paperwork. So i did not notice the three little dust plugs inserted in the face of the mating surface. They were about 3/16 diameter and clear plastic. I thought they were some kind of mating washer.anyway the oil filter blew up and i had oil everywhere. But i did complete the job the second time in about 6 hrs. If anyone one needs info. On what needed to come off feel free to contact me. I also found a company that rebuilds these.

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
I hate it when they don't include instructions to remove the plugs!

In the future, you can think of plugs something like this:
If they are plastic, look disposable, then likely you'll need to remove them. Plastic cannot handle the heat of hydraulics, so all things plastic are enemy to hydraulics.
If they are steel or rubber, it gets more dicey. Rubber is usually some kind of seal for some reason. Steel is a more permanent plug meant for optional connections. If you have the option, you have to remove the plug for it.

Best advice is to pay attention to the pump you remove and make sure the new one is a clone of how it came out before you put the new one in.

csim

Equipment
BX23
Dec 31, 2015
arlington, ma
Hi DRF,

Man do I wish I had seen your post BEFORE I replaced my HST (by removing the transaxle) and put it all back together only to blow out my oil filter twice. The service dept at my K dealer is telling me the plastic plugs are somehow behind some set screws. I'm not sure where to find/remove them. Do you have any pictures or description of them? I have to take it all apart again now (I do see how you can do it from the front now though).

Thanks for any help. I'm also interested in that company that rebuilds them if you don't mind sharing that info.