Hydrostatic filter.

RDinNHandAZ

Equipment
Kubota BX1870, FEL, BX5450 Snowblower, back blade, customized snow cab
I recently serviced my BX1870. Since it only had 87 hours on it I opted to change the hydrostatic filter but not the oil. Yesterday I was digging up surface rocks and filling the holes with loam. It’s a very satisfying job, makes the yard look better and mow better too. I noticed a few oil drips on the paved drive so I had a leak!
This morning I drove the tractor’s rear tires up my vehicle ramps and used the FEL to lift the front.
IMG_1191.jpeg

Don’t fret I did block up the front tires too.
Diagnosis underneath was a 10 second job as the drips were coming from the hydro filter. I used a strap wrench to tighten it a bit until it stopped. I’ve never had any thread-on filter leak before. Is this filter leaking normal when hand tightened? Thanks

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
I've not had any filter leak when hand tightened and not used a strap wrench to do the job. I do put a bit of oil on the gasket surface to allow it to tighten properly. I tighten until it makes contact then go another half to three quarters of a turn. I use the same type oil the filter is supposed to be filtering.

Reactions: 2 users

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
One person's hand tight might not be the same as another person's hand tight. I don't have the same strength in my hands that I had 60 years ago, so I usually just give it an additional 1/8th turn with the filter wrench to be certain that it is fully seated. Old age gives you wisdom, but at the cost of physical strength.

Reactions: 4 users

XSpecBx

Equipment
B2601, Artillian Pallet Forks, Woodmaxx MX-8600, LP BB1248
Apr 3, 2022
Ledyard, CT
I have never used a wrench to tighten a new filter.

When you replaced the filter, did you check that the gasket from the prey filter wasn’t there and clean the surface of any debris before putting the new filter on? I’m guessing neither of those things are easy to do as fluid is coming out and you’re trying to slap the new filter on.

As others have said, also put some oil on the new filter gasket to lubricate it a bit before putting it on.

RDinNHandAZ

Equipment
Kubota BX1870, FEL, BX5450 Snowblower, back blade, customized snow cab
Oh Gad. Age? I never thought of that. At 73 I mostly don’t think I’m old but the years have gone by. Yes I was stronger 50 years ago. I’m now stumped. I did clean the mating surface, oiled the gasket on the new filter, threaded it on as I have several hundred times before on my cars, trucks, tractors, mowers, and even my wood splitter. I thought you would tell me the hydro filter had more pressure or something that makes it necessary to tighten it a bit more.
I resolve to check for leaks on these filters from now until I am so old I can't crawl under the machine anymore.
BTW my normal filter wrench with the metal band could not be put over the filter. I had to get a strap type from the garage and thread the strap around it. The guard near the filter is too close to the filter’s end to allow a normal band type filter wrench. I used this:
Screen Shot 2022-08-28 at 1.38.39 PM.png