Hydrostat noise question

mpmitch1

Equipment
l3240 with 514 loader, forks, bush hog, disc, boom pole, FEL
May 24, 2012
madison
I just got a 5740 hst. I've never driven an HST, I've only driven a GST for 10 yrs. I hear a noise when underway , almost sounds like an exhaust leak (not a gear whine). But if I'm stationary and Rev it up I can barely hear it ? It's only underway when I hear it....is this normal? Any thoughts

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Sounds typical to me. The HST noise comes from the fluid flowing through the system -- no movement, no fluid flow, no noise.

loggin

Equipment
MX4700
Sep 4, 2021
canada
I just got a 5740 hst. I've never driven an HST, I've only driven a GST for 10 yrs. I hear a noise when underway , almost sounds like an exhaust leak (not a gear whine). But if I'm stationary and Rev it up I can barely hear it ? It's only underway when I hear it....is this normal? Any thoughts
Would help if you posted a video with sound to determine if it sounds normal or not.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
A continuous whining sound is normal. The volume and pitch would change with load and pedal position but it’s still a continuous sound.

A staccato rapid fire, straight pipe exhaust sound is not. The straight pipe exhaust sound is what I associate with an “exhaust leak” sound (such as a blown exhaust manifold gasket) and that’s not normal.

As stated by others, a video with whatever the sound is would be instructive in determining normal from abnormal.

Reactions: 1 users

mpmitch1

Equipment
May 24, 2012
madison
A continuous whining sound is normal. The volume and pitch would change with load and pedal position but it’s still a continuous sound.

A staccato rapid fire, straight pipe exhaust sound is not. The straight pipe exhaust sound is what I associate with an “exhaust leak” sound (such as a blown exhaust manifold gasket) and that’s not normal.

As stated by others, a video with whatever the sound is would be instructive in determining normal from abnormal.

I'll see if I can get a video this weekend. Don't think it's exhaust related since I don't hear it when stationary and Rev it up

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
I'll see if I can get a video this weekend. Don't think it's exhaust related since I don't hear it when stationary and Rev it up
Understand and agree probably not exhaust related for same reason you stated. Just saying if the noise mimics an exhaust leak it’s probably abnormal as an exhaust leak type sound isn’t consistent with normal HST noise.

mpmitch1

Equipment
May 24, 2012
madison
Understand and agree probably not exhaust related for same reason you stated. Just saying if the noise mimics an exhaust leak it’s probably abnormal as an exhaust leak type sound isn’t consistent with normal HST noise.
5740 is substantially louder than my 3240, guess that's the nature of the beast? Turbo, esg, hydro.....ear protection a must when running pto 540...I think my video is too large

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
5740 is substantially louder than my 3240, guess that's the nature of the beast? Turbo, esg, hydro.....ear protection a must when running pto 540...I think my video is too large
put it up on youtube?

mpmitch1

Equipment
May 24, 2012
madison

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
I don't hear anything. HSTs sound different from tractor to tractor, depending on which fluid you have whether or not your in 4WD. etc, etc on and on

Reactions: 1 users

mpmitch1

Equipment
May 24, 2012
madison
Thanks. I bought the 5740 used , it's significantly louder than my 3240 (which I have put 450hrs on). Guess I'm just anxious not knowing the history of the tractor and never running a turbo before. I just need more seat time to gain some confidence in the new orange. Thanks