Hydraulically driven brushcutter (Hydracutter)

procraftmike

Equipment
1977 B7100DT w/B219 FEL
Jan 27, 2016
Neenah, WI
I thought I would toss this out there, before I sell this thing. I have a Case 444, which is a hydraulically driven 2wd garden tractor. There is a pump off the back of the engine that powers the back axle and a rear, hydraulic PTO to drive rear attachments, such as a rototiller, log splitter or brushcutter (Hydracutter). The pump produces about 2000 psi and a flow rate of 9 gallons per minute at 3600 RPM. That is divided up between powering the tractor and the rear attachments. I have a 4' brush cutter that is driven off of the rear hydraulic PTO. Since I purchased my B7100, I figured I would sell my Hydracutter and get a shaft driven brush cutter instead. But, this Hydracutter is a great implement, but I don't need 2 brush cutters.

I don't know much about the hydraulic capabilities of my gear driven B7100 (with B219 FEL), but I suspect the pressure and output is quite low. I just want to make sure that there really is no way to use my Hydracutter with my B7100? I just thought I would toss this out there for discussion...just in case there is a way to make this work, before I regret selling it.

Attachments

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
You could plumb a pump on the Kubota, but likely the cost would end up being more than the cost of a good used 3 point bush hog, and what would you have, a trailer type bush hog... I'd sell it, JMHO:D:D

Grandad4

Equipment
1949 Farmall M, previously owned: L 4610, BX 2230
Apr 5, 2016
Greensboro, NC
What he said. You could get a pto-driven hydraulic pump, like the ones used on some backhoe attachments, but a new one would cost more than just getting a used rotary cutter. And you'd still have to monkey around with that Case cutter to make it work behind your Kubbie.

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Also looks like a bush hog for your tractor could be foot or so wider than that hydro cutter.

procraftmike

Equipment
1977 B7100DT w/B219 FEL
Jan 27, 2016
Neenah, WI
Thanks everyone. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking some easy way to use this. It is a 4' cutter. I plan on getting a 4' cutter for my B7100 to replace it. I might be able to go larger, but I get into some pretty nasty stuff.

I have had no luck finding used cutters for a decent price. I can purchase a brand new, 4' cutter from Tractor Supply for $800. The local Fleet Farm is slightly more for the King Kutter brand, which I understand is the same unit as TS.

Dr Honda

Equipment
BX1870
Mar 30, 2015
Pitt, PA
Well... I can tell you that the Case/Ingersoll "Hydro" implements are very well built.

I plumbed in an Ingersoll Hydro bagger on my BX, and it' works great !!! BUT, the impeller runs a little slower than it should. (but still makes a good draw) My problem is... on the little BX... I only have about 4 GPM after powering the tractor. I would think that the bigger tractors would have enough to make it happen. I would start with checking the flow for the external stuff, and go from there.

Dr Honda

Equipment
BX1870
Mar 30, 2015
Pitt, PA
Well........

I did a little digging around... and it seems like your output is only 3 GPM. SO... you would need a different hydro motor to get the head speed needed.

BUT... the good news is... you may be able to sell the motor on it for more $$$ than the replacement. (since the Case replacements are expensive)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
YES YOU CAN USE IT!

Use the pump that runs the loader, it's got plenty of Pressure and output GPM and it's not like your going to be doing Loading and Brush cutting at the same time! ;)