hydraulic top link

219Kevin

Equipment
B7300 L2502
Apr 5, 2024
NW Indiana
hi all...new to the forum. I've had a B7300 for 20 years and recently purchased an L2502. I had the dealer install the 2 rear remotes.
I'm looking for a good top n tilt kit...one that won't drift on me. I've heard the Kubota kit isn't all that great. Can you guys point me in the right direction?
Thanks in advance

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Drift is mainly a function of internal leakage in your control valves. Its been said the Kubota valves have more than normal.

The way to deal with that is pilot operated check vslves on the cylinders - frequently callec a "lock valve". Here is a top link with a check valve.

Dan

1000002519.jpg

Last edited:

219Kevin

Equipment
B7300 L2502
Apr 5, 2024
NW Indiana
thanks for the reply. during my research those summit valves keep popping up. what is your opinion on those? And which one would I need?

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
thanks for the reply. during my research those summit valves keep popping up. what is your opinion on those? And which one would I need?
I think we have a little confusion here.

Short answer is I have used Summit products for quite a few years with no issues.

Now the longer answer.

You already have two OEM directional control valves (DCV) on your new tractor. Those DCVs will be used to control your TnT cylinders and are the concern when it comes to drift.

One way to prevent drift caused by leaking directional control valves is to install a double pilot operated check valve (DPOCV) on each cylinder. Thats whats pictured on the Summit top link I posted. DPOCV check valves are considered zero leakage devices and will hydraulically lock the cylinder. They have the side effect of preventing float operation of the cylinder.. Did you purchase OEM directional control valves with the float option?

Dan

219Kevin

Equipment
B7300 L2502
Apr 5, 2024
NW Indiana
I think we have a little confusion here.

Short answer is I have used Summit products for quite a few years with no issues.

Now the longer answer.

You already have two OEM directional control valves (DCV) on your new tractor. Those DCVs will be used to control your TnT cylinders and are the concern when it comes to drift.

One way to prevent drift caused by leaking directional control valves is to install a double pilot operated check valve (DPOCV) on each cylinder. Thats whats pictured on the Summit top link I posted. DPOCV check valves are considered zero leakage devices and will hydraulically lock the cylinder. They have the side effect of preventing float operation of the cylinder.. Did you purchase OEM directional control valves with the float option?

Dan
my bad...said "valves" instead of cylinders.... been a long week lol
the remote valves are spring center valves part # L7231A

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
Are you planning to get Pat's quick hitches (or do you already have one)? Reason being you'll need a top link that's 4" longer after you get Pat's quick hitch... Just something to think about. {edit; corrected}

As said, a double pilot operated check valve (DPOCV), will keep the cylinder from drifting. DPOCV locks the pressure down and needs a few hundred (??) pounds of pressure to release. Your valves, being installed by Kubota, are prone to leaks but that does not effect a cylinder with a double pilot operated check valve (circled in red below).

Attachments

Last edited:

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
Are you planning to get any quick hitches (or do you already have one)? Reason being you'll need a top link that's 4" longer after you get a quick hitch... Just something to think about.

As said, a double pilot operated check valve (DPOCV), will keep the cylinder from drifting. DPOCV locks the pressure down and needs a few hundred (??) pounds of pressure to release. Your valves, being installed by Kubota, are prone to leaks but that does not effect a cylinder with a double pilot operated check valve (circled in red below).

Actually, the top link does not need to be any longer when using a full 3pt quick hitch.
If Pat's quick hitch is used, that is when the longer top link is needed.

Be sure to do your research regarding the top & tilt set. They are not all equal.
For your application, you will be better off getting cylinders with check valves similar to what is pictured.

Look at the following link to determine what working length fits your application best.
I have found that a 20"-29" working length works well, but it is always best to check for yourself. ;)

Attachments

Reactions: 1 user

219Kevin

Equipment
B7300 L2502
Apr 5, 2024
NW Indiana
Are you planning to get Pat's quick hitches (or do you already have one)? Reason being you'll need a top link that's 4" longer after you get Pat's quick hitch... Just something to think about. {edit; corrected}

I use a speeco quick hitch

219Kevin

Equipment
B7300 L2502
Apr 5, 2024
NW Indiana
Actually, the top link does not need to be any longer when using a full 3pt quick hitch.

Be sure to do your research regarding the top & tilt set. They are not all equal.
For your application, you will be better off getting cylinders with check valves similar to what is pictured.

Look at the following link to determine what working length fits your application best.
I have found that a 20"-29" working length works well, but it is always best to check for yourself. ;)
Thanks!

219Kevin

Equipment
B7300 L2502
Apr 5, 2024
NW Indiana

Thank you!

219Kevin

Equipment
B7300 L2502
Apr 5, 2024
NW Indiana

Thank you!

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
my bad...said "valves" instead of cylinders.... been a long week lol
the remote valves are spring center valves part # L7231A
Since you dont have float on your control valves a DPOCV will prevent cylinder drift. I opted to use Summit's DPOCV valves on the outlets rather than the cylinder. The plus there is it eliminates valve leakage and works on any cylinder connected to the outlets.

Dan

1000000894.jpg

1000002522.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan
If your on a budget check out the spare parts Holland store on eBay. I've had mine for two years and have not had any issues.
This is a link to the side link I made the link to the top link it's near the bottom of the first post...

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
One thing not mentioned yet regarding the DPOCV, is that trying to buy the cylinders and the "cylinder mounted DPOCV" separately and doing it yourself, will/may turn out to be a complete nightmare, (and as pointed out early on, completely unnecessary)

So unless you are a "Hydraulics Guru" like @TheOldHokie , be sure to use a DPOCV in the lines (like he pictured).

Here is an amusing tale of a "guy that I know" that tried it.....;)

https://www.orangetractortalks.com/...-to-shoot-ones-self-in-the-foot-part-1.63695/