Hydraulic top link debate

rongarrett

Equipment
M7040 SU
Nov 10, 2011
Newnan Georgia
Was a little disappointed with my hydrulic top link. It operates too fast. Hard to be precise with it. My thoughts were it would be great for bale lift I have. Turns out it was a pain. Too fast and I could not tell precisely what angle the spear was when buried in the round bale. It is great for the 10 foot bush hog to adjuts cutting height. It is great with a box scraper. Everything else I use the standard manual top link. What is the general report on those that have a hyd top link?

bruceatlam

Equipment
B20, FEL, box blade, flail mower
Aug 20, 2009
Camarillo, California
Wouldn't be without it -------- of course my uses don't include a bale spear. I use it with my box blade and my flail mower. Also comes in handy to get everything up off the ground when I load the mower and the disk behind the tractor onto a trailer. Retracting the toplink fully gets the back ends just high enough.

rongarrett

Equipment
M7040 SU
Nov 10, 2011
Newnan Georgia
I did think about going to 1/4" lines, but wanted to hear what others had to say. Thinking about adapting it to the new spreader to adjust seed and fertilizer density. To do that cylinder would have to be slow and smooth.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Does yours have a double piloted check valve? Mine doesn't, but I have read that the adjustment on those so equipped have a more abrupt movement.

I know very little about these things, but really like the one I use.

rongarrett

Equipment
M7040 SU
Nov 10, 2011
Newnan Georgia
Yes it does have the double piloted system. I was told it was necessary. Dunno know why. It does have its place. Lifting my three thousand pound bush hog slows it down a good bit.

edz

Equipment
bx2200
Apr 15, 2014
ny
Looking to buy a hydraulic top link for my bx2200 and wanted to ask what size your using and how well it works. Will be using the 3pt with fork lift forks to move fire wood on pallets.

Is this othe one you got from Surplus Center?

1.5X4X1 DA HYD CYL SWIVEL EYES
ITEM NUMBER: 9-7258-4

SPECIFICATIONS
Double acting
Bore x stroke 1-1/2" x 4"
PSI max. 3,000
Rod dia. 1"
Ports SAE 6
Retracted length 11-1/4"
Shpg. 6 lbs.
END MOUNTINGS
Rod end swivel-ball
Ball width 1"
Ball O.D. 2"
Pin hole 0.75"
Base end swivel-ball
Ball width 1"
Ball O.D. 2"
Pin hole 0.75"

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
Was a little disappointed with my hydrulic top link. It operates too fast. Hard to be precise with it. My thoughts were it would be great for bale lift I have. Turns out it was a pain. Too fast and I could not tell precisely what angle the spear was when buried in the round bale. It is great for the 10 foot bush hog to adjuts cutting height. It is great with a box scraper. Everything else I use the standard manual top link. What is the general report on those that have a hyd top link?
Either a needle valve or flow restrictors is what you need. Either will take care of your fast movement problem. I have found that it is best to have the restrictors on both ports, but maybe that is just me. Either way if you go with 1 or 2 flow restrictors or the needle valve, be sure that the rod end port has the restriction if you go with only 1 of the above.

Please report back. ;)