Hydraulic to cold to move

cabu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kuno B1-15 (B1502DT)
May 24, 2009
Germany, Oyten
Yesterday we had the first snow and I started my little friend. But it was so cold, that the hydraulic pump did not really make preasure or even flow. Maybe some air in the pump? The hydraulic oil is also for the gearbox, maybe driving in circles will heat up a little bit the oil. Or I add a small hose to have a tight shortcut that will heat the oil.
Has somebody experience with that problem?

carl

BX25DMan

Equipment
Kubota BX25D
Sep 16, 2013
Southeast MA
When you say cold Carl, what temps are you referring to?

I've been out at temps in the single digits this winter and while it is a bit more difficult to get her started I've not had a problem with the hydraulics. Once the tractor starts, I let it sit at about 1500 rpm for about 10 minutes to warm everything up.

What model is it?
Are you low on hydraulic fluid?
Was it changed recently?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Carl,
When temps here dropped down into the -10C range I had problems with my hydraulics the fluid was getting too thick for the pump to pick up (it does work on suction).
Changing to a lighter hydraulic fluid like Kubota UDT or UDT2 will allow it to flow better.;)

cabu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kuno B1-15 (B1502DT)
May 24, 2009
Germany, Oyten
When you say cold Carl, what temps are you referring to?

I've been out at temps in the single digits this winter and while it is a bit more difficult to get her started I've not had a problem with the hydraulics. Once the tractor starts, I let it sit at about 1500 rpm for about 10 minutes to warm everything up.

What model is it?
Are you low on hydraulic fluid?
Was it changed recently?
Kuno B1-15 (B1502DT)
No
It is one year old and has maybe 30h.
The cold is about -10°C
Typ of oil I don't know, it was a gift from a neighbor from his big barrel.

Today I took my tractor to drive circles for my daughter, she was following me on a sledge. Lots of fun for her. After some rounds I tried the FEL and it was working normal. Looks like the gearbox need some exercise to get the oil flowing.
Leaving the tractor idle to heat up will only heat up a tiny little bit the engine but not the gearbox.
So next morning I have to clean may place, I have to drive some circles to wake up my little friend...

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
That is odd. Been using mine every day here and had two weeks at minus 30*C/-20*F and it has been fine. I let it warm up a bit then work the hydraulics before I go to work. After I blow for a bit and go to use the loader again it is a bit slow though until it cycles a few times again.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yep that will happen if you use too thick of hydraulic fluid, like the old standard universal fluid.
Kubota UDT and UDT2 are much thinner of a formulation and move better in all temps.