Hydraulic shuttle shift?

jwell

Equipment
tractor
Nov 21, 2014
pomeroy, oh
I see some M series tractors with ""Hydraulic Shuttle" on the side of the hood and other M models without this notation. My son has a M5140 without the script. It is shuttle shift tractor but must use the clutch and we use the clutch to shuttle back and forth.....

Anyhow he says the other version, "Hydraulic Shuttle", you don't have to use the clutch. I've noticed some of these tractors with a "fly swatter" looking thing just below the shuttle shift handle.

Could someone please educate me on the differences between the clutch and "Hydraulic Shuttle", clutchless models?

thks in advance, Jerry

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
We traded a synchronized shuttle shift Case in on our hydraulic shuttle shift M8540. On the non hydraulic shuttle either synchronized or not, you must use the foot clutch to move the lever from forward to reverse, on the synchronized you don't have to come to a complete stop while on the non synch like we have on our backhoe you do.

On the hydraulic shuttle, simply moving the forward/reverse lever activates the hydraulic clutch pack the same as does the foot clutch, so no foot clutching is needed. There is a metal guard around the hydraulic shuttle forward/reverse lever to keep you from accidentally engaging it.

jwell

Equipment
tractor
Nov 21, 2014
pomeroy, oh
TripleR: Thanks for the reply. I did not realize the hydraulic version actually engaged /disengaged the clutch pack automatically. I guess it's sorta like a car with an auto trans going from reverse to drive.

I'm looking at two for sale M5140's to purchase one for myself....... one is hydraulic shuttle and the other is manual clutch pedal shuttle. Guess I really don't have a huge preference either way. Either tractor is going to be light years ahead of my 1966 International 404!!

Thanks again................Jerry

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
I didn't have a preference either for many years, but as I got older, my knee sure did. My brother has a relatively new synch shuttle and didn't have a preference until he ran mine a few times; now he does, but we're both a bit older.:)

jwell

Equipment
tractor
Nov 21, 2014
pomeroy, oh
Well, I went and did it..... Bought a new Tier 3- M5140 with FEL and hydraulic shuttle from a dealer in KY. Has ag tires now, but I'm having it changed over to R4's before I take delivery. Should be picking this up in mid to late January.
Will be saying goodbye to my old 1966 IH 2404!

Thanks to all who comment on Orange Tractor for all the postings and expert advice. Never too old to learn and I've learned much in the brief few weeks I've visited.

Jerry

:D:D

ETRon

Equipment
M6040
Aug 4, 2010
Tellico Plains, TN
You'll enjoy the hydraulic shuttle, just don't give it too much abuse :) One thing to know up front and REALLY keep in mind is this is a purely hydraulic clutch before the gearbox. There is nothing to keep the tractor from moving when shut off except for the brakes, if you forget you may end up chasing it......... don't ask!

m7060

Lifetime Member
Jul 13, 2014
london, ky
My M7060 has hydraulic shuttle shift. I, like, Triple R have bad knees. At the end of the workday they are much happier due to the hyd. shuttle. My only complaint is no storage compartments in the cab. :)

jwell

Equipment
tractor
Nov 21, 2014
pomeroy, oh
Well, never thought about that!!'

Guess you're saying that if I park this tractor on a slope it won't stay, even if it's in gear?????

I'll have to get in the habit of setting the brake, which is not a bad idea anyhow. Glad you mentioned that point, though!!

Jerry