Hydraulic post hole diggers / augers

TimR

Mar 9, 2019
Blairsville, GA
Hey all, I'm in the process of getting my first tractor, and kinda zeroing in on the L3560HST, open, with LA805 FEL, R4s and likely GS1572 grading scraper. Primary chores for the tractor, I'll be doing a lot of gravel road maintenance with about 1/4 mi of steep mountain drive with switchbacks, probably 15% grade at most at the switchbacks.
I'm wanting to put in a bunch of split rail or other fencing along the road to keep folks aware of where the drop offs are, and 3pt auger is out of question as the orientation of sloped drive, and then drilling just next to drop offs means I can't plumb the PHD. Hydraulic PHDs on other hand look to be able to plumb without problem, though the tractor may be wonky.
So any experience to share with this kind of post hole digging with hydraulic PHD? I'm probably looking at either the Land Pride HD25 or SA20...leaning towards SA20 for hex output shaft. BushHog has a good reputation and would also be an option for hydr PHD.
Thanks and looking forward to participating in forum.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Hey all, I'm in the process of getting my first tractor, and kinda zeroing in on the L3560HST, open, with LA805 FEL, R4s and likely GS1572 grading scraper. Primary chores for the tractor, I'll be doing a lot of gravel road maintenance with about 1/4 mi of steep mountain drive with switchbacks, probably 15% grade at most at the switchbacks.
I'm wanting to put in a bunch of split rail or other fencing along the road to keep folks aware of where the drop offs are, and 3pt auger is out of question as the orientation of sloped drive, and then drilling just next to drop offs means I can't plumb the PHD. Hydraulic PHDs on other hand look to be able to plumb without problem, though the tractor may be wonky.
So any experience to share with this kind of post hole digging with hydraulic PHD? I'm probably looking at either the Land Pride HD25 or SA20...leaning towards SA20 for hex output shaft. BushHog has a good reputation and would also be an option for hydr PHD.
Thanks and looking forward to participating in forum.
Let me take a little wind out of the sails on this.

The SA20 is made more for a skid steer than a tractor.

The L3560 is just on the edge of what is required in GPM (8.1GPM available) to even be able to run either of those 2 post hole diggers, and if you have any hard soil at all it's going to stall them out.
The SA20 is the further out in GPM demand.

Now just because you have 8.1GPM available from the pump, you're probably not going to get that out of a Third function valve as it will restrict it down too much.
You would get that much out of a rear remote valve though.

The HD25 will not self level as it's only a single axis pivot, so if the loader (front mount) or three point (rear mount) is not level the hole won't drill straight down.

TimR

Mar 9, 2019
Blairsville, GA
Let me take a little wind out of the sails on this.

The SA20 is made more for a skid steer than a tractor.

The L3560 is just on the edge of what is required in GPM (8.1GPM available) to even be able to run either of those 2 post hole diggers, and if you have any hard soil at all it's going to stall them out.
The SA20 is the further out in GPM demand.

Now just because you have 8.1GPM available from the pump, you're probably not going to get that out of a Third function valve as it will restrict it down too much.
You would get that much out of a rear remote valve though.

The HD25 will not self level as it's only a single axis pivot, so if the loader (front mount) or three point (rear mount) is not level the hole won't drill straight down.
Thanks for the heads up on use of rear remote, yea the hydraulics would be nicer for this application if even just a few gpm higher. Are there specs on the rear remote vs 3rd function valve that would show this difference?
Granted, the SA20 likely is overkill compared to HD25 and pushing any capability. I attached a sketch from LP for the HD25 and marked what looks like pivots that should allow auger to self align in either direction...within reason of course.

Attachments

12251hd

Equipment
M6800, L35, RTV
Nov 23, 2018
Woodbridge, VA
I have an L35 TLB setup and mounted a hyd PHD on the side of the bucket. Worked well, especially in hard to reach areas as you describe. 3rd function remote mounted on fender. Believe L35 hyd output is much higher than your model. Sold PHD a few years ago after getting out of cattle business. My setup would probably have been better for a larger M series tractor. Good luck.

vic gerbasi

Equipment
M110 L3300
Feb 19, 2016
dugald mb canada
my advise is for you to rent a setup Once ur fencing is done the auger sits or hire someone for the job Nice to be able to do the job but the is not often used more money for more toys[implements]

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I didn't catch that they made the HD25 in a SSQA mount, and yes that one does pivot both directions, and thus is self leveling. ;)

I don't know of any published specs for either valve configuration.