Hydraulic leaks

fransser

Jul 30, 2019
Sedgwick
Hello all,
I have a BX2380 series tractor. I have around 200 hours on it now. Lately I've been using it to pull a box blade to move some dirt around my property with the tines/rippers engaged. This has caused a lot of vibration and jarring to me so I would assume to the tractor as well. Anyhow, a couple of days ago I noticed the main dump/curl cylinder was dripping. This turned out the be the hydraulic fittings were loose on that cylinder. Today I noticed a drip from the front end loader quick connect assembly. So I have a few questions....

First, is the periodic re-tightening of those hydraulic fittings considered normal?
Second, would a bit of thread locker help keep them from rattling loose?
Third, am I working the tractor too hard?

I'd appreciate any input from others but particularly owners of the BX series. Thanks so much!!!

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
Hello all,
I have a BX2380 series tractor. I have around 200 hours on it now. Lately I've been using it to pull a box blade to move some dirt around my property with the tines/rippers engaged. This has caused a lot of vibration and jarring to me so I would assume to the tractor as well. Anyhow, a couple of days ago I noticed the main dump/curl cylinder was dripping. This turned out the be the hydraulic fittings were loose on that cylinder. Today I noticed a drip from the front end loader quick connect assembly. So I have a few questions....

First, is the periodic re-tightening of those hydraulic fittings considered normal?
Second, would a bit of thread locker help keep them from rattling loose?
Third, am I working the tractor too hard?

I'd appreciate any input from others but particularly owners of the BX series. Thanks so much!!!

Hydraulic fittings/hoses usually don't leak unless they are loose or faulty for some reason. If they do leak and just need tightening, just tighten them. It does happen. Don't use any kind of thread lock. You would be asking for trouble. You can use thread tape where fittings screw in but never on hose connections.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Thread tape is fine but... Never allow the tape to extend past the last thread on any fitting. Teflon tape in the hydraulic system is asking for trouble. I like to use Detroit Diesel anaerobic sealant instead. It's compatible with hydraulic fluid and comes in a tube so it's easy to apply. Not sure if it's available to the general public but... Kubota sells a similar product and it's available at your dealer.