Hydraulic fluid getting in crankcase L-285

Klanel

Equipment
L-285
Jan 7, 2021
Ga
Hydraulic fluid getting into crankcase and coming out the dipstick hole. Replaced oem hydraulic pump with aftermarket and it's doing same thing. I am not a mechanic but read that the only way that hydraulic fluid could get into the crankcase was if the seal in the pump was bad. If this is correct, then it makes me think that it's under too much pressure or the oem pump was not rated at high enough pressure. So my questions are if it is correct that the only way hydraulic fluid can get into the crankcase is through a bad seal in the hydraulic pump? If so, is there something that is causing too much pressure to build? How would I go about fixing the problem myself without losing another pump? I am willing to buy an oem pump but want to make sure I'm not missing something first. Tractor has loader that ties in to where a block is located for the 3pt hitch. Thanks

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Are you sure it's hydraulic fluid and not diesel fuel? Is your hydraulic level going down?

Klanel

Equipment
L-285
Jan 7, 2021
Ga
No, I am not sure and I'll have to look tomorrow. If it was diesel fuel, what would cause fuel to get in the crankcase?

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
No, I am not sure and I'll have to look tomorrow. If it was diesel fuel, what would cause fuel to get in the crankcase?
I think your tractor has a fuel lift pump bolted to the crankcase near the injector pump. If the diaphragm leaks, fuel goes in the crankcase. It's a common problem.

Klanel

Equipment
L-285
Jan 7, 2021
Ga
What part would I need to get if that's the issue? Also want to add the oil gets thin and there is a pretty loud whine from the hydraulic system that quietens after it runs a while.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Where can I get a fuel lift pump for my model tractor?
I think yours may have a replaceable diaphragm. You can buy just the diaphragm or the complete pump.
* Dealer
* Messick's on-line
* Coleman's on-line
* eBay etc. probably clone (complete pump only)

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
What part would I need to get if that's the issue? Also want to add the oil gets thin and there is a pretty loud whine from the hydraulic system that quietens after it runs a while.
I assume you mean engine oil? Yep change oil and filter ASAP.
I don't know about the whine. Can you pinpoint the origin? Try lowering the 3 pt hitch control.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You really need to determine what is getting in the oil!

Hydraulic fluid won't really effect the oil much they are close to the same.
Diesel on the other hand will thin the oil down.

A maladjusted three point control or a malfunctioning pressure relief valve can cause the pumps to build too much pressure.

Along with the lift pump a bad injection pump can cause it to put diesel in the oil.

Orange L285

Equipment
L285 1200FEL
Jul 14, 2014
Texas
...Tractor has loader that ties in to where a block is located for the 3pt hitch. Thanks
Can you add a few pictures wold like to see how your L285 is set up and how it differs from my 1977 L285
Good luck with your issue; following...

Klanel

Equipment
L-285
Jan 7, 2021
Ga
Here's a photo of where the loader attaches at the rear where the pressure relief is. I can take more tomorrow, is there something specific you want to see?

It looks as if diesel is getting into the crankcase. I have ordered a fuel pump and will see if that fixes my problem. I also changed the oil which was close to 15 quarts with the diesel. Also drained the transmission/hydraulic fluid. Cleaned the hydraulic filter screen. Not going to run until I get the fuel pump replaced.

Attachments

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
15 quarts! I think you would see the drop in transmission level if it was hydraulic fluid.
I suggest getting in the habit of checking your oil and transmission each time before use. Good luck.

Orange L285

Equipment
L285 1200FEL
Jul 14, 2014
Texas
Here's a photo of where the loader attaches at the rear where the pressure relief is. I can take more tomorrow, is there something specific you want to see?
Just comparing the setup you have because my hyd pump (for the FEL) is mounted on the front of the tractor driven by the crankshaft. I could not imagine (based on my configuration) how Hyd could get into the oil so had to ask.
The picture is the pressure relief? Where is your pump mounted? This pump only for the FEL or is it the 3 point pump system used to power the FEL?

O FWIW sounds like you are a pretty good mechanic

thebicman

Equipment
B2601 + BX2755HD + 50" box blade
Feb 2, 2017
Ottawa, ontario
Not trying to sound harsh. You really need to get a work shop manual and spend more time troubleshooting. Changing parts just because someone mentions that may be the cause is no way to fix. You are just throwing parts on and hoping its fixed each time.

Klanel

Equipment
L-285
Jan 7, 2021
Ga
They tied the loader onto where the pressure relief valve is. I don't have a separate hydraulic pump. I'll get more pictures today. I appreciate the input I have gotten here and wish I had posted here prior to replacing a hydraulic pump I don't think needed replacing. Due to my lack of knowledge, I incorrectly assumed it was hydraulic oil. But from the input here along with further investigation, it was diesel. So I have a pump ordered and have expectations it will solve my issue based on input from here. If that doesn't fix it, I'll solicit further input here.
I'm replacing my hydraulic fluid which was pretty dirty, is the universal hydraulic/transmission fluid they sell at tractor supply sufficient? What about viscosity? Thanks

Orange L285

Equipment
L285 1200FEL
Jul 14, 2014
Texas
They tied the loader onto where the pressure relief valve is. I don't have a separate hydraulic pump. I'll get more pictures today. I appreciate the input I have gotten here and wish I had posted here prior to replacing a hydraulic pump I don't think needed replacing. Due to my lack of knowledge, I incorrectly assumed it was hydraulic oil. But from the input here along with further investigation, it was diesel. So I have a pump ordered and have expectations it will solve my issue based on input from here. If that doesn't fix it, I'll solicit further input here.
I'm replacing my hydraulic fluid which was pretty dirty, is the universal hydraulic/transmission fluid they sell at tractor supply sufficient? What about viscosity? Thanks
Gotta learn somehow and plenty of good peeps here willing to help.
Interesting set up and good to know there are options if needed in the future. I use O'Reillys Universal (Kubota UDT is listed) the TS version should be equivalent.

I will send you some L285 info I have collected of the years via message.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
There is a hydraulic pump on the side of the engine for the three point hitch. That pump is the failure point that puts hydraulic fluid into the engine oil. You replaced that pump or the fel pump?

Good that you have figured out that it is fuel pump problem

Klanel

Equipment
L-285
Jan 7, 2021
Ga
Yes, I replaced the hydraulic pump thinking it was hydraulic fluid in my oil. After posting here, realized it was a different problem.

Here are some additional pictures of my tractor as requested.

Attachments

Klanel

Equipment
L-285
Jan 7, 2021
Ga
Replaced the fuel pump and I've ran it for several hours. Appears that the problem with diesel in the oil is fixed. Thanks for everyone's input. I wish I had posted sooner as it may have saved me some time and money buying a hydraulic pump I didn't need. Still much less hastle and cheaper than taking it to a dealer for repair.

Reactions: 1 users

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
Thank you for the report back. I wish that I had gotten advice such as you did when I had the same problem.