Hydraulic fluid change: What about FEL?

JackJ

Equipment
BX1870-1
Mar 14, 2016
Indiana
I'm getting ready to change out the hydraulic fluid on my BX, and I'm wondering if I should be concerned with what's in the loader lines and cylinders.

I'd prefer not to undo any threaded connections, and I realize that means I won't get everything. But if I raise/curl bucket first, then drain the oil, and then, with the plug and filter still out, lower and uncurl the bucket, will this make a meaningful difference in the amount of old oil I capture?

And will it leave air in the system that I'll need to purge in some way?

I've got no reason to think my 2 year old SUDT-2 is in terrible shape, so I'm probably being overly cautions. Still, If I'm going to change the oil, I'd like to change as much of it as I reasonably can.

Thanks for any insights,
Jack

SLIMSHADIE

Equipment
Kubota BX25D
Apr 10, 2013
Eureka,IL
Jack, I wouldnt worry about that. I think the same way as you but it not worth the extra work. I changed mine at 50 hours and this fall will be the 400 hour service. Instead I just change the hydro filter yearly while I change the oil. You dont lose much hydro oil just changing the filter. Whats in the lines and cylinder is minimal overall. Just be sure to clean the screen too. My oil still looks brand new today.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Ditto to what SLIMSHADIE said.

And DO NOT raise the loader and drop it to unload the little fluid that is in there, that could lead to damage to the seals and possible even the pistons.

JackJ

Equipment
BX1870-1
Mar 14, 2016
Indiana
Ditto to what SLIMSHADIE said.

And DO NOT raise the loader and drop it to unload the little fluid that is in there, that could lead to damage to the seals and possible even the pistons.
Glad I asked! And here I thought my idea was brilliant (though admittedly OCD). I'll now gladly skip it and not look back. Thanks for your help!