Hydraulic Flow Rate Chart

bernhardine

Equipment
M4072 (M4D-071), B7000
Jan 14, 2019
Germany
Would 1/2" be better? No, not really as you'll never have enough flow to out do the capable volume of the line.
Well, you can do it with a 1/4", it'll work, but it doesn't make sense.

At first, the backpressure that the lines/hoses build up by itself shouldn't be higher than the backpressure the Tool/device with no load (!) builds up.

Second, the velocity of the fluid in (the most) tractor systems should not exceed 4,5 m/s (15 ft/s). - If it is faster, the pressure loss is to high and the temperature rises quick and gets to high.

Look at that diagram in post No.2. It's a standard one and most important in this question. - Draw a straight line line from the left to the wanted velocity on the right. In the middle you get the Line-dia.

Let's say, there are, realistic, 4GPM (engine rpm 80%) and the fluid velocity should be in the middle of the range at 4 m/s (less would be better). In that case the Lines should be at least 8.4 mm .

Last edited:

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
The front remotes on my B2650 are 1/4" soft and hard lines with connectors and couplings, a 90deg and a 45. plus the length. They are already on the tractor, Kubota OEM installed by the dealer.

Is the 1/4" as configured capable of delivering 5GPM? All the charts I can find, say it isn't.

Would I be better off just going directly to it with 3/8"?

bernhardine

Equipment
M4072 (M4D-071), B7000
Jan 14, 2019
Germany
The front remotes on my B2650 are 1/4" soft and hard lines with connectors and couplings, a 90deg and a 45. plus the length. They are already on the tractor, Kubota OEM installed by the dealer.
To move a cylinder from time to time, it's ok.

Is the 1/4" as configured capable of delivering 5GPM? All the charts I can find, say it isn't.
As far as these 5 GPM should flow constantly, the charts you found are correct. The 1/4 lines are too small for that!

Yes, absolutely

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID

Where and what are you going to use to run it?
If it's a third function valve, what size ports does it have, betting 1/4" or less, not a good choice for your use.

You would be much better off getting a dedicated motor control valve that has the ability to handle higher flows.
Then tap that into the main hydraulic flow.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Where and what are you going to use to run it?
If it's a third function valve, what size ports does it have, betting 1/4" or less, not a good choice for your use.

You would be much better off getting a dedicated motor control valve that has the ability to handle higher flows.
Then tap that into the main hydraulic flow.
SMH - I am going to be running an auger mounted to a QA plate on the front using the Kubota 3rd function circuit.

My dealer said I should be able to expect up to 5GPM from it. Based on the hose restrictions, I do not see how. Coming off the valve is 3/8" up to the 1/4" rigid.

My plan at this point is to go right from the valve to the auger using 3/8" and bypass the 1/4" rigid and all the fittings.

I am not sure what you mean by a motor control valve, I have only seen them run on the front remotes.

Mondo

Equipment
L355ss, back blade, bush hog
Apr 17, 2017
NYS
If your interested I have a US Army Hydraulics Manual. Its a pretty extensive manual that a member on a different site offered. If interested just shoot me an E-Mail.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
If your interested I have a US Army Hydraulics Manual. Its a pretty extensive manual that a member on a different site offered. If interested just shoot me an E-Mail.
LOL - Thank you for the offer. I really didn't want to get that far into it. I figured it was an easy question but it turns out it isn't.

dochsml

Equipment
L4701HST
Jan 21, 2020
Leonard, TX, USA
LOL - Thank you for the offer. I really didn't want to get that far into it. I figured it was an easy question but it turns out it isn't.
I asked a similar question (not on this forum) before I got a Lane Shark for my FEL and got similar responses. I think short of putting a flow meter inline, you won’t get the answer you are wanting. I decided to stick with the “trust us it will work” answer. Ignorance is bliss and I’m clearing lanes.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
hmm ... 'auger'..... as in drilling holes into the ground ? If so, simply look at commercially sold complete units, see what hoses and specs they have. City did '3" core sampling' on road using a 5HP Honda engine powered towbehind. If you're drilling 16" holes for post, you'll NEED a lot of flow, which implies larger hoses. grain 'augers' tend to be 'light ' duty. The 'system' has to be designed around what it is going to be used for.
More information is required though...