Hydrant

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
Outside Woodford hydrant that's about 30 years old. Over the years the pressure has been deteriorating to the point I knew I had to do something. Checked YT vids and dreaded digging it up or dissembling the head. I noticed the faucet opening was restricted so I proceeded to use all kinds of tools; hammer and chisel, screwdriver, coat hanger, file, PB Blaster, etc. etc. to try and expand the opening. Low and behold after about a week it cleared and pressure was restored, lots of mineral deposits came out over that week. Point of the story is never give up, keep hitting that brick wall and eventually something will happen, lol.

Reactions: 1 user

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
Had a toilet with that problem in my first house. Wouldn't flush worth a crap. Found all the little swirly jets under the rim mostly blocked with lime scale. The trap was also restricted. Poured a gallon of muriatic acid in the bowl and reamed out all the swirly holes. You could have flushed a cat down that rascal afterwards.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Had a toilet with that problem in my first house. Wouldn't flush worth a crap. Found all the little swirly jets under the rim mostly blocked with lime scale. The trap was also restricted. Poured a gallon of muriatic acid in the bowl and reamed out all the swirly holes. You could have flushed a cat down that rascal afterwards.
The trap probably wasn't the problem, but the jet was. The acid in the bowl cleaned out the siphon jet.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
The first paragraph of that technique is misleading. Adding baking soda to the acid (whichever you choose…vinegar (slow/weak) or muriatic (fast/aggressive)…. the soda will neutralize the acid…NOT improve it’s action.

If you have a septic tank…the acid will eventually harm the system…so flush an entire box of baking soda down the toilet when finished to neutralize the acid in your septic tank.

The waste in your septic system slowly becomes acidic regardless…and a box of baking soda several times a year is always good for the system.

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
The trap probably wasn't the problem, but the jet was. The acid in the bowl cleaned out the siphon
A visual inspection of the toilet trap using a mirror and flashlight revealed a thick ring of lime scale at the static water level. I always use an inspection mirror first when troubleshooting flushing issues. I've found toys wedged up there.