Hunting and game posts

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
It's my RIA VR80 It's my go to shotgun now days I used to use my Remmy 1100 for everything but that changed when I got this mag fed shotgun. It looks goofy with the 2 round magazine in it but that keeps the local PA state game wardens happy. :cool:

View attachment 101763
That’s awesome. I bet that is a great conversation starter when arrive at the club to shoot some trap / skeet. Seems like a drum magazine would take it up a notch (I am remembering ‘street sweeper’).

Reactions: 1 user

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
That’s awesome. I bet that is a great conversation starter when arrive at the club to shoot some trap / skeet. Seems like a drum magazine would take it up a notch (I am remembering ‘street sweeper’).
I have some drum mags for it - It is my favorite shotgun for now anyway but that could always change.

Reactions: 1 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I have some drum mags for it - It is my favorite shotgun for now anyway but that could always change.
Definitely not my deceased father-in-law's Belgium Browning Sweet 16 in 16 gauge.... ;)

forky

Equipment
L2501 HST 4X4 8N
Feb 23, 2021
Wisconsin
Being able to reach out to 40 yards with a decent pattern is a must for a good Turkey gun. With its short barrel does this gun have that capability? My Rem 870 magnum with 30" full choke does. I'd be surprised if this RIA could accomplish that. Has anyone tested this that owns one?

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
Being able to reach out to 40 yards with a decent pattern is a must for a good Turkey gun. With its short barrel does this gun have that capability? My Rem 870 magnum with 30" full choke does. I'd be surprised if this RIA could accomplish that. Has anyone tested this that owns one?
I have a 24" barrel I have it setup for 30 yards which is as far as I ever shoot with any of my shotguns both the 20" and the 24" barrels pattern very well out to 30 yards with the Kent Fast Lead 2 3/4" #4 & #5 shot shells I use for turkeys. I will also use high velocity #6 from time to time and had good luck with those too. For me most of the fun is getting them in close.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Whana, sell it? I'm in the bidding.
Nah, I've got a few old timers that I'd never get rid of.

Actually most of my long guns are old timers. Like 'em that way.

Trapper Bob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4701, Wicked grapple, 6’ bush hog, pallet forks, 7’ box blade, 6’ Wicked bucket
Jan 17, 2022
Andover, KS
This is why I keep a pistol on my tractor. Caught ‘em sneaking across a trail.
IMG_8679.jpeg

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
This is why I keep a pistol on my tractor. Caught ‘em sneaking across a trail.
View attachment 103086
Learn something every day.

Haven’t traveled much. Had no idea armadillos were in Kansas.

Or is it a groundhog/woodchuck with a chainmail jacket from D2Cat’s place - - tough buggers… ;)

forky

Equipment
L2501 HST 4X4 8N
Feb 23, 2021
Wisconsin
What's the problem with armadillos? We don't have them here, but they prolly have something good in the environment scheme of things. If I don't eat it, I don't shoot it. Live and let live if it's not creating any problems. Just my 2 cents.

Trapper Bob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4701, Wicked grapple, 6’ bush hog, pallet forks, 7’ box blade, 6’ Wicked bucket
Jan 17, 2022
Andover, KS
Learn something every day.

Haven’t traveled much. Had no idea armadillos were in Kansas.

Or is it a groundhog/woodchuck with a chainmail jacket from D2Cat’s place - - tough buggers… ;)
I hear our winters are not as cold as they used to be & the armadillos are moving N because of that. They really can dig up a place. I shoot them, whenever I can. I’ve caught a few in traps (not the target critter). They are very tough. The trap can barely close. Really difficult to remove from the trap.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Makes sense. Mentioned earlier I used to get ~100 woodchucks per year.

Coyotes took care of them 30+ years ago. Many dairy farms have gone out too.

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
What's the problem with armadillos?
Its not the holes they dig foraging for food (mostly grubs) but the large/deep holes they make when burrowing (for sleep and safety).

Those are a major source of broken legs on livestock (cattle and horses in particular).

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
I shoot 4-6 per year. Never seem to run out.
Last summer my Wife was standing at the kitchen sink and happened to look out the window into the front yard. An armadillo was out there rooting around. She made me aware of it and I grabbed up my home defense shotgun (closest firearm) and went out the back of the house, slipped into some brush that separates my shop area from the yard.

The armadillo was working its way right toward me.....unaware I was there (they don't see well and I had the wind in my favor). So I just waited for it to get within 10 yds. I delivered a load of OO buckshot to it... nearly cutting it in half and of course killing it instantly. I picked it up and threw the carcass into the brush.

My wife witnessing the entire thing. I put my shotgun up and got ready to do some outside chores when I heard her scream from the kitchen "IT GOT UP", IT GOT UP"!

I went to where to she was and said 'What are you talking about'! She pointed out the window and a SECOND armadillo had gotten out in the yard some 10 minutes after I had killed the first one. I laughed and laughed....and assured her the first armadillo had NOT 'gotten up'. Went out and dispatched the second one.

I still tease her about that. :ROFLMAO:

Trapper Bob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jan 17, 2022
Andover, KS
They've really moved Northward over the years then. I suppose in time....you'll be seeing the Feral Hogs that Texas and Oklahoma are plagued with.
The hogs are at the border of OK & KS, mainly in the Kaw river basin. Kansas (KDWP) has been pretty aggressive about keeping them out. They watch (along with local landowners) for evidence or sightings. Every couple years or so, a group with helicopters & rifleman go after the hogs. So far, they are keeping them in check at the border. I have read that a couple landowners will not allow the KDWP access & that had made the control efforts more difficult.

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
The hogs are at the border of OK & KS, mainly in the Kaw river basin. Kansas (KDWP) has been pretty aggressive about keeping them out. They watch (along with local landowners) for evidence or sightings. Every couple years or so, a group with helicopters & rifleman go after the hogs. So far, they are keeping them in check at the border. I have read that a couple landowners will not allow the KDWP access & that had made the control efforts more difficult.
^^^^^

What a shame.

If they only realized what a scourge Feral Hogs are.

You simply can not afford to let them get a get a foothold in any area.

Once established.....it is nearly impossible to control their numbers and you can forget about eradication altogether.

Trapper Bob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jan 17, 2022
Andover, KS
About every 7 to 10 trees I cut out of this pasture have a hole under it. This could be a badger hole (usually “D” shaped), but more likely an armadillo hole. These holes can hurt livestock. This is why I shoot armadillos
IMG_8690.jpeg