How-to: Raising the hydraulic pressure on an L2501 and measuring the REAL results

NetMagi

Equipment
BX25D (sold), L2501HST w/BH77 Backhoe
Dec 30, 2014
Pennsylvania
Been wanting to do this since I picked up this machine, but made myself wait until I had time to measure the 'useful' lift capacity first. Figured I'd record while doing it to serve as a how-to. I know there's a few videos out there, but none appear to show the whole process from beginning to end, or include real test results.

I know it's a bit long, but hope someone finds this interesting. The results were different than I expected (in a good way).

For those that don't want to watch the video and process, here's the results:

chart.JPG

This is with an SSQA fork frame w/42" forks that weighs 275lbs. The "24 inch distance from fork back" is intended to represent an evenly loaded std. size 48" deep pallet.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Many would say you are crazy to mess with the factory specs .......

I say - kudos !!!!

Remember they under power the hydraulics for safety - so people cannot place the operator in a bad spot because the machine lifts MORE than it can under the normal circumstances.

Excellent video and I am very jealous of your garage - wish I could have that much room!!!!

NetMagi

Equipment
Dec 30, 2014
Pennsylvania
Many would say you are crazy to mess with the factory specs .......

I say - kudos !!!!

Remember they under power the hydraulics for safety - so people cannot place the operator in a bad spot because the machine lifts MORE than it can under the normal circumstances.

Excellent video and I am very jealous of your garage - wish I could have that much room!!!!
Thx! I upped the pressure on my BX and had years of trouble-free operation with it before selling it last fall and picking up this L.

The original plans for the ‘barn’ were substantially smaller, but i have a tendency to underestimate, and really didn't want to be doing it again in 5 yrs, so i went bigger for once.

Reactions: 1 user

Smokeydog

Equipment
M59, B26 grapples, backhoes, tillers, graders, diesel atv
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
One of better presentations and information about adjusting hydraulic pressure. Thanks for sharing.
Installed a soft ride on my M59 and 10,000# gauge to monitor lift pressure. I’m under the factory spec but still scary strong. What’s interesting is when digging or grappling, lifting then curling while pushing forward you can have the lift pressure exceed 5,000psi. The relief valve is on the pump side not on the cylinder side. While raising the relief pressure may increase the operating pressure you are well within operation range.

Used a crane scale to try to measure load weight with pressure gauge. Pretty accurate with single sling lifts. Grapple or bucket materials have too many variables.

So impressed with the soft ride results want to modify for the B26 loader too.

OrangeKrush

Equipment
BX2680, LA344 with Piranha tooth bar, LP PF 1242, LP Rear Blade, KK 60" BB
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
Very organized video, how do you do it! lol I don’t have the patience.

Any chance you have specs from when you did your BX? If not do you remember how high you upped it? Great video!

NetMagi

Equipment
Dec 30, 2014
Pennsylvania
Very organized video, how do you do it! lol I don’t have the patience.

Any chance you have specs from when you did your BX? If not do you remember how high you upped it? Great video!
I went to 1950psi on the BX. Ran it for 5 yrs with no issues. I did actually take some measurements, but sadly none before upping the pressure as I didn't have the crane scale when I upped it. That crane scale has been great. I use it to weigh all my implements too. I linked the one I have in the video description on youtube.

Let me see if I can dig up those measurements.

Last edited:

NetMagi

Equipment
Dec 30, 2014
Pennsylvania
I went to 1950psi on the BX. Ran it for 5 yrs with no issues. I did actually take some measurements, but sadly none before upping the pressure as I didn't have the crane scale when I upped it. That crane scale has been great. I use it to weigh all my implements too. I linked the one I have in the video description on youtube.

Let me see if I can dig up those measurements.
BX did ~880lbs @ the fork frame ~20" height

and

~650lbs @ ~18" away from fork back ~36" height

with these forks (lighter forks): http://www.mytractortools.com/forks.html

I will say you can definitely "cheat" with the strong curl cylinder on the BX. I think I could probably get ~800lbs up to 36" height centered on the 36" forks by curling up, then lifting from the arms while slowly curling down and repeating. Can be sketchy, so I wouldn't do it unless you're on level ground and your load can't shift, but it's a good "cheat" to have in the toolbox. If the load is further out, like on a full size pallet, it's not gonna work.

ayak

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3301 HST
Feb 16, 2018
WV
Very nice video you’ve put together-thanks for sharing. I’m studying up on this myself for my L3301 and I noticed in the WSM for both 2501 and 3301, under ‘Condition’ they show the Engine Speed to be set at Maximum when making this adjustment. What impact would this have made on your measurements?

NetMagi

Equipment
Dec 30, 2014
Pennsylvania
Very nice video you’ve put together-thanks for sharing. I’m studying up on this myself for my L3301 and I noticed in the WSM for both 2501 and 3301, under ‘Condition’ they show the Engine Speed to be set at Maximum when making this adjustment. What impact would this have made on your measurements?
Good catch. I even had the WSM page printed out, and I was thinking it was PTO speed for some reason.

It was not a significant difference (it IS at much lower RPM's). If you goto the 35-min mark in my video, I vary the RPM's and show the gauge @ each:

2100rpms = ~2550psi
2300rpms = ~2565psi
2500rpms = ~2585psi

The second set of measurements in the video were all taken ~2550 rpms, which was ~2590 psi

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
One of better presentations and information about adjusting hydraulic pressure. Thanks for sharing.
Installed a soft ride on my M59 and 10,000# gauge to monitor lift pressure. I’m under the factory spec but still scary strong. What’s interesting is when digging or grappling, lifting then curling while pushing forward you can have the lift pressure exceed 5,000psi. The relief valve is on the pump side not on the cylinder side. While raising the relief pressure may increase the operating pressure you are well within operation range.

Used a crane scale to try to measure load weight with pressure gauge. Pretty accurate with single sling lifts. Grapple or bucket materials have too many variables.

So impressed with the soft ride results want to modify for the B26 loader too.
Do you have any pics posted of your setup? I'm still toying with the idea of adding an accumulator circuit on mine with a solenoid valve to switch on the fly.

Smokeydog

Equipment
M59, B26 grapples, backhoes, tillers, graders, diesel atv
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
Do you have any pics posted of your setup? I'm still toying with the idea of adding an accumulator circuit on mine with a solenoid valve to switch on the fly.
I used a ball valve I can easily operate from the operator station. Don’t need to operate often. Using FEL boom pole setting steel needed to be valved out to not bounce. Keep valved in most of the time. Remarkable what a difference carrying materials smoothly makes.

Attachments

CKNPRO

Equipment
L4701 HST
Apr 16, 2021
Alabama
Excellent work! I have not maxed out my 4701 loader yet, but I may look at doing this mod anyway. Mo power is always mo better!

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 w/ S2T Turbo Kit = 35 PTO HP (Current), B2601 (Sold)
May 7, 2021
WA
Thanks for posting! Great info and video!
Well done!

Mike

Subfitter

Equipment
L2501
Feb 23, 2022
Lampasas, Tx
I know this thread is old, but was hoping a hydraulic person could help. I have the increase kit and want to perform the increase. I installed a loop circuit from the loader power beyond for a backhoe and want to be sure the loader pressure increase would not affect it. Inlet pressure per schematic for backhoe is only 2175 psi. Loader pressure increase is around 2600 psi. Thanks for any help.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I know this thread is old, but was hoping a hydraulic person could help. I have the increase kit and want to perform the increase. I installed a loop circuit from the loader power beyond for a backhoe and want to be sure the loader pressure increase would not affect it. Inlet pressure per schematic for backhoe is only 2175 psi. Loader pressure increase is around 2600 psi. Thanks for any help.
Your backhoe is going to see the same inlet pressure as the loader. Does the backhoe valve have its own relief?

Dan

Subfitter

Equipment
L2501
Feb 23, 2022
Lampasas, Tx
Your backhoe is going to see the same inlet pressure as the loader. Does the backhoe valve have its own relief?

Dan
I see mention of a pressure relief valve in troubleshooting section. I see nothing obvious to me in schematics below. So if inlet pressure is increased the pressure releif valve will protect the backhoe from damage?

Attachments