How to protect bare metal?

300zx

Equipment
1979 B7100D, 2009 ZG20, 1991 B2150, 1990 B6200
Dec 1, 2010
Forest, VA
I am in the process of restoring a RC72b deck for a B2150. The shafts for adjusting the deck wheel height have to be left bare so they will slide up and down. Is there any type of conditioning that can be done to the metal surface to prevent them from rusting. I don't want to paint or plate them, just condition them in some way. Any ideas?

John in VA

hal1937

Equipment
L2600f
Oct 10, 2014
shannon, ms
Well I have a little experience here. For one I hate rust. I spray every with wd-40 once or twice a year. Sometimes I use the cheaper wd-40 knock offs. It works dang good too. I even spray it all up under my vehicles. It works and does harm painted surfaces.

live_roll

Equipment
M108 / BX 25 / RTV 900 / ZD331 / M7060 / B1200 Mx5100 Ford 1500
Dec 16, 2009
Irricana Alberta
I use an aerosol product called Fluid Film it is a lanolin based product and is amazing. It is kind of pricey, about 12-14.00 a can but it is well worth it I use it on all my 3 pt linkages as well and spray underside of freshly washed mower prior to long term storage

Cheers

Roger

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I use fluid film as well. Its expensive, but it works. Also polishing the metal helps, the smooth surface takes longer to rust.

koja

Equipment
BX25D
May 27, 2014
Fremont Mi.
Go to Production Tool Supply's web site , I think it is PTS.com . Look for "rustlik" . I run a machine shop and I use rustlik spray for storage and shipping of all parts . Works very good. I have some parts that set on the shelf for over a year now and still look like the day they were machined . It cost about $9.00 a spray can but goes a long ways. They also have a product that is spray cosmoline , thick and sticky stuff .

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
Another vote for Fluid Film here. http://www.fluid-film.com/products/

The spray cans are ridiculously expensive IMO. I buy a gallon (still expensive) and use a pump oil can to apply it.

A rag with Fluid Film was used to cover clean and shiny plow moldboards over the winter and they looked great the next spring. After that a bit of rust started to show, but not enough to be of concern.

If you use Fluid Film, be sure to shake or agitate it first. It thickens when at rest and thins when stirred. There is a scientific name for that trait but I can't remember it.

AH HA, I found it. Here is a post about it:

Fluid Film is thixotropic.
This especially applies to bulk NAS, (gallons, pails, and drums)

thix·ot·ro·py
The property exhibited by certain gels of becoming fluid when stirred or shaken and returning to the semisolid gel state upon standing.

What this means is.. as Fluid Film NAS sits, it gets thicker. There are two things you can do to make Fluid Film NAS spray with a fine even flow:

a) Store it at room temperature if possible.

b) Shake and agitate the heck out of the Fluid Film container. The more you shake it, the more it will thin and liquify. You should not need to add any thinner to NAS if you shake it enough.

Shake, shake , shake.

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
I use RUST KUTTER, like everything else that works it is expensive. I have treated metal and had it out side for 4 years and rust did not start.

Tractor Supply has it for $19.99 for 1 qt. It goes on sale for around $12

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/rust-kutter-rust-prevention-and-control-1-qt

Rust Kutter Rust Prevention and Control is an easy to use rust converter. Use on farm equipment, garden tools, cars, trucks, or live stock equipment. Rust Kutter binds itself to the metal and prevents moisture and oxygen from attacking the metal surface stopping costly rust and corrosion.
  • 1 quart
  • Phosphoric acid

300zx

Equipment
1979 B7100D, 2009 ZG20, 1991 B2150, 1990 B6200
Dec 1, 2010
Forest, VA
D2Cat, I used something similar, called JASCO Prep and Primer for rusted and bare metal. If I remember right, it has phosphoric acid in it for converting the rust back to a hard material.

After using the JASCO, I am going to try the Fluid-Film. I got it at O'Rilleys for $12.50.

John in VA

Ezlife45

Equipment
B2650
Jun 5, 2014
Louisiana
There are lots of options, what do you want to do?

There are wraps impregnated with VCI's (vapor corrosion inhibitors)
There are papers impregnated with the same stuff
Cosmoline

Some forms of cosmoline are available in spray form and leave a light waxy coating that removes fairly easily.

Google rust inhibitor or corrosion inhibitor.

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
Just tried a product from Home Depot called Prep & Etch made by Klean Strip = $15.78. It is supposed to,(removes rust from metal surfaces & inhibits flash rusting). (For treating metal for painting, #4Thuraly rinse with water after 15-20 minutes, paint treated surface within 48 hrs).
JUNK!

Tried it and if flash rusted within 20min.:eek: Repeated in case I had done something wrong but same results.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Klean-St...nd-Etch-GKPA30220/100406369?keyword=prep+etch

Joisey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L47 TLB
May 31, 2015
Wild, Wonderful West Virginia
Amsoil heavy duty metal protector works well. It's a spray that goes on thin and after the solvent flashes off it dries to a thin waxy coating, much like what GM and Ford uses inside their door panels. One can goes a long way. It has never harmed any paint that I have encountered.