How to make rear pto engagement less violent

RyeThomas

Dec 23, 2015
Northern Virginia
Ok so I've used a rear tiller with no issue but whenever I put my rotary cutter behind the old girl and engage the pto it's violent. I've slowed the rpm till darn near a stall, picked it up a bit and it's horrible, so is their a secret?
I've used rotary cutters on other machines and just don't remember it being bad. Is it just because the BX is smaller and lighter so I just feel it more? No extra shaft play in the cutter, I just feel like I'm asking to tear something up.

Thanks Fellas, Rye.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Need to know the exact model of the tractor to give you anything close to a proper answer. ;)

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
MAybe a bent twisted or broken blade,,thats where I would start

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
If it has the swinging blades, no way around it. Old one i had would wedge blades from time to time and it woukd shake my old tractor violently. As soon as it spools up to pto speed it was fine.

RyeThomas

Dec 23, 2015
Northern Virginia
Yes it has swinging blades. Thanks fellas just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something, I sure am good at breaking things.

You know what they say about a Jarhead, put him in a room with a rock and it will be lost, broken, or stolen.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Does the clutch pedal control the PTO output, looks like it does.
Feathering the clutch pedal will reduce the shock tremendously.
You can also reduce some of the transfer with a slip clutch on the driveshaft or with a vibration dampener PTO shaft.

1970cs

Apr 26, 2016
Grand Ledge
You are over sized for the tractor! First of all K.K. website has to work it's way up to suck! I was looking for their requirements, just max hp listed (unless some else can find the spec.)

Land Pride 48" 12 series standard duty requires 20 tractor horse power.
Woods BB48 48" cuter requires 15 PTO hp

BX1800 PTO hp rated at 13.7 HP.

BX series have an IPTO hydraulic activated, hard to modulate start up unless you plumb in an accumulator.

Pat

Grandad4

Equipment
1949 Farmall M, previously owned: L 4610, BX 2230
Apr 5, 2016
Greensboro, NC
Haven't run a tiller behind my BX but have run a tiller quite a bit with my larger Kubota. Always engage the PTO with the tiller raised out of the ground, with the engine at or near idle speed. There should be very little loading of the engine until you lower the tiller into the ground, so you'll want to rev the engine first.

That raise/lower control for the 3 point isn't the handiest thing to have for work like this, but with practice you can get the hang of lowering the tiller gently, going into the ground gradually so it doesn't bog the engine. You may need to adjust how fast the 3 point lowers an implement - there's a knob just under the seat near the floor that does this.

Hope this is helpful... and thanks for your service!

RyeThomas

Dec 23, 2015
Northern Virginia
Yes on my BX there is no clutch to smooth out the PTO engagement, it's on or off. I start the tiller in the air, it has no issues. I'm guessing like stated the heavy swinging blades are just a shock to the system.

I will pull the exact model# off the KK and do an inter web search. I am pretty sure they make one for smaller SCUT, it came with the tractor so I assumed it was correct. I know all to well what happens when you assume things.

Thanks guys.

Steve NC

Equipment
B7100D, L2900DT, ZD21, G6200,
Dec 29, 2014
Sandy Bottom North Carolina
The cutter is a little large for the BX but it will work if you take your time. I think that model cutter has a shear bolt on the pto shaft. If you can change it over to a slip clutch that will make it easier on engagement.

CountryBumkin

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370 w/LA243, Bucket, Grapple, QA Pallet Forks, 60" MMM, rear blade & rake
Sep 27, 2015
Central FL
You know what they say about a Jarhead, put him in a room with a rock and it will be lost, broken, or stolen.
Ha.
And for a firefighter, the saying is: "put him in am empty room with two ball-bearings, within an hour one will be lost and the other will be pregnant".

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
The King Kutter XB is designed for SCUTs. I believe you would be better off with a 42".