How to lock float on L4630?

Llaves

Equipment
L4630-GST-C with LA853
Jan 17, 2016
Llaves, New Mexico, USA
If I push the lever all the way forward, I can feel the float mode engage. It's also evident from the behavior of the loader. But I can't make it stay in this mode. Is there a trick I'm missing? There's a little silver colored tab at the base of the lever, but I can't seem to get it to do anything.

Tractor is 2006 with just over 900 hours.

Thanks

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
Hmmm...the lever is supposed to stay in float. There is a detent in the valve to hold it there.

I'm guessing that you have to hold the lever forward to keep it in float. Have you tried pushing the lever aggressively forward to try to engage the detent? It might be hard to slip into if it has not been done previously. My L48 was like that until I figured out to be a little more firm.

Is this something new or has it always happened on your tractor?

I think the silver tab is to lock the lever in place. On my L3650 there was a plate with a slot in it that slipped over the lever to lock it.

Llaves

Equipment
L4630-GST-C with LA853
Jan 17, 2016
Llaves, New Mexico, USA
Hmmm...the lever is supposed to stay in float. There is a detent in the valve to hold it there.

I'm guessing that you have to hold the lever forward to keep it in float. Have you tried pushing the lever aggressively forward to try to engage the detent? It might be hard to slip into if it has not been done previously. My L48 was like that until I figured out to be a little more firm.

Is this something new or has it always happened on your tractor?

I think the silver tab is to lock the lever in place. On my L3650 there was a plate with a slot in it that slipped over the lever to lock it.
I pushed pretty aggressively. I can feel a slight detente, but nothing that holds. I've only had the tractor for a couple of months - bought it used. It's been like this from the beginning. I'll try pushing harder, but I suspect the detente needs to be cleaned or something.

Thanks

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
What GWD said, I had an L5030 and now 5740, both worked the same, detent holds it in float, if you are sure you got past the detent and it doesn't hold then something in your controls needs to be checked.

Yes the tab only locks the lever, nothing else.

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
Another thought:

There may be something physically keeping it from remaining in float. It could be a stone, a stick, a mud-dauber nest, or the like. If you can access the actuating area of the joystick, it might be worth a look before doing something more drastic. (I'm not familiar with your model.)

Then clean the area thoroughly and then hose it down with WD-40, or similar. Then apply a bit of oil to the moving parts.

The maintenance of a FEL requires that the area be lubricated every so often, like when greasing the FEL. Since you just bought the tractor, there is no way of knowing what has been done.

If the tractor has been left outside or power washed, it is possible that water has gotten into the valve and something has rusted, causing problems. (See below.)

And BTW, it is not recommended to disassemble the valve. I did it once and never again. There are ball bearings and small parts galore that are very difficult to keep track of and tend to disappear and/or roll away.:eek:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
The detent balls are usually on the opposite end of the valve spool as the handles. As TripleR suggested, it's probably a build up of something in there causing the problem. Could be dirt, rust, or broken parts.

You may be able to remove the cap on that end of the spools and clean and check for any obvious problems.

Kingcreek

Equipment
Grand L3010 GST 4wd, LA481FEL, various attachments and accessories
Aug 3, 2011
NW Illinois
bad detent spring? worn or damaged ball or socket? dirt or gunk in detent?