How to install horse mat snow edge?

gcmiller

Equipment
B2910, LA402 FEL, Caroni TC-910 91" finish mower, RTV900
Mar 13, 2017
Raleigh, NC
We rarely get enough snow here in central NC that I would need to use the FEL to plow the driveway, but it does happen occasionally. For that reason, I’ve been researching inexpensive ideas for a snow edge on the bucket so I can protect the driveway some. It sounds like the two most popular cheap methods are to either split a PVC pipe length wise and hammer/slip it over the cutting edge or to cut a piece of horse mat.

I get the PVC pipe idea, but how are people attaching the horse mats? Pictures would be greatly appreciated if anyone has any.

Thanks in advance,
Gary

asgard

Equipment
B2301, 60 inch deck, 51inch blower
Oct 22, 2016
Ontario, Canada
Where I am I do get snow and to add a nice base before blowing I use a section of a blue plastic barrel to flatten down the snow. I drag it - don't push.

I have a gravel drive and the stones do not leave any noticeable wear marks on this plastic.

For your situation you could mount a section onto a wooden or metal carrier and clamp it into your bucket and drag it, that would be another low-cost alternative.
I can often get these barrels free.

kris77

Jun 9, 2016
CA
I plow with my ATV rather than my Kubota. But last year, the ol Suzuki wouldn't start and I needed a new battery. Instead of jumping it or hand cranking it, i just used the Kubota and the bucket. I just curled the bucket up about 2" and set it to float. It didn't do too bad. We only had about 4" of snow though. Not sure how that would work with more.

The piece of rubber or mining belt or something would probably work better. Just an idea if you need something now. Enjoy the weather. Its -9 here at 8am. BRRRRRRR!!!!!!!

gcmiller

Equipment
Mar 13, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I did look at this and I’m still considering it. It looks like it would be $110 plus shipping since they recommend two 4” edges for my 60” bucket. That’s not outrageously expensive, but I’m hoping to go cheaper since I may need something only once every 3 to 5 years or so. My concern is it looks like it would leave about an inch or more of snow on the driveway and around here we tend to get a lot of ice. It always seems like after we get snow it gets just above freezing in the day and then below freezing at night and everything ices over.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Gcmiller, you want something inexpensive. Check with a local farmer, or go to a Tractor supply type store and buy 5' of baler belting. Then use a 5' piece of metal (flat bar, or even an angle iron) to attach it to you blade. Three or four holes will hold it fine.

gcmiller

Equipment
Mar 13, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Gcmiller, you want something inexpensive. Check with a local farmer, or go to a Tractor supply type store and buy 5' of baler belting. Then use a 5' piece of metal (flat bar, or even an angle iron) to attach it to you blade. Three or four holes will hold it fine.
Thanks D2. That’s what I was thinking with the stall mat. It was the flat iron fastener that I wasn’t clear about. I wasn't sure if people were drilling holes in their buckets. Lil Foot also helped clear this up. I think I’m going to go this route.

dalola

Equipment
BX2380 w/FEL & Woods RM48 RFM, Yazoo/Kees Max2 ZTR
Jun 30, 2017
Ohio
I bought a 1"x4"x48 urethane strip for my FEL (BX2380), used it for the first time last week, worked awesome on my blacktop drive. Scrapes the drive pretty clean, quiet operation, and so far, zero wear. Pretty tough stuff. I used the existing holes in the FEL (7x5/8"), and used 1/2" x 2.5" carriage bolts counter-bored through the urethane so the carriage head is recessed. For winter-only snow use, should last many years.