How to flush the cooling system?

Orange Tractors

Equipment
L175 w/Woods L59, Allis Chalmers WD
Jul 19, 2009
Butler, MO
The coolant in my L175 looks good, clear and greenish. It doesn't appear to have rust. The problem is that the last few times I have used the tractor to mow it has overheated. I can understand pushing out water after filling the radiator, until the coolant finds its level, but this has been doing it until the whistle blows. The temps here have been running between 95 and 100 for the last couple of weeks.

I think it is time to flush the radiator, my question is what is the best method to use with a thermo-syphon circulation system? I seriously doubt if it has been done before; when I bought the tractor the transmission was full of water.

Thanks for your help,

Robert

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Even though antifreeze won't freeze it does loose it's ability to disapate heat. It needs to be changed every two yrs to keep it in good shape. Even if it looks good and clean it still can be bad.

As far as flushing goes I will drain the radiator and then refill it with water and then drain it again. After the second drain I refill it and start the tractor. After I start it I will let it run for a few minutes and then shut it down. Drain it again and then fill it up with 50/50 mix and you should be in good shape.

Orange Tractors

Equipment
L175 w/Woods L59, Allis Chalmers WD
Jul 19, 2009
Butler, MO
I don't think you'll be able to flush out enough crap from that radiator with a garden hose to make a difference. I'd reconmmend takingthe rad to a rad shop and have them hot tank it and clean it that way.

You'll get it back looking like new, and the cooling system will works as it should. If that rad is original which it probably is, it has 35 years of junk piled up on the fins and cores.
Thanks for the advice Vic. That's about what I thought. The only problem is most of the radiator reapir shops around here have closed, The owners either retired or the cost of repairing a radiator got too close to the cost of a new one.

I will check tomorrow.

Thanks,

Robert