How to cultivate weeds out with L 3800?

tsafa

Equipment
Kubota L3800, FEL, F550 Dump, 10K Trailer
Nov 3, 2013
Tobyhanna, PA
I have been using my L 3800 to plow a garden for the last two summers. I use a single bottom Middle Buster to plow rows which works well and brings up any rocks or roots. I will then use the landscape rake to pull out any rock and roots. I will use the Middle Buster to plow the clean row again. I will then plant the seeds by hand at the top of the rows. All this is easy. The problem I have is how to cultivate the weeds out.

It was easy enough to build a cultivator. And I can adjust the cultivating tines as I wish. The problem that I am having is that the tires on my L 3800 are so wide that when I go through the seeded rows with the cultivator the tires come very close to the plant roots.

I'm trying to find out what solution other people might be using to cultivate weeds out of their fields without running their crops over.

Attachments

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
#1 issue is the R4 tires they make horrible row crop tires, they are too wide and can not be easily adjusted for the rows. :(
If you want to stay with the same tires, try changing your row sizes to match the tractors foot print! ;)

tsafa

Equipment
Kubota L3800, FEL, F550 Dump, 10K Trailer
Nov 3, 2013
Tobyhanna, PA
#1 issue is the R4 tires they make horrible row crop tires, they are too wide and can not be easily adjusted for the rows. :(
If you want to stay with the same tires, try changing your row sizes to match the tractors foot print! ;)

I had come to the same conclusion but wanted to see what other people think. I'm thinking the first used the Middle Buster to loosen the dirt, then use the landscape rake to flatten the rows made by the plow, then use the cultivator itself to plow shallow Rows. I could then run the cultivator again through when it's time to weed

Last edited: