How Remove Backhoe Boom Cylinder Bushing

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Backhoe Boom Cylinder Question

Seeking experience, advice, and wisdom how best to proceed.

Changing hoses on backhoe.

Imagine if you will on the hoe where all the hoses snake in an “S” shape through a pathway beneath the boom cylinder rod-head pivot or knuckle attachment point. If you’re sitting at the hoe controls and looking down, with the boom extended flat, this is the boom cylinder attachment point you see, with all the hoses run beneath it.

The boom is fully supported.

The cylinder rod-head pin drifts out easily.

The cylinder rod can be pushed by hand perhaps 1/8-in side-to-side within the ears of pivot assembly.

The cylinder rod CANNOT be lifted up and away.

The IPL shows a bushing inside the cylinder rod-head ‘pivot knuckle’.

I think the bushing has slipped a little to one side and is binding on the support ears within which the cylinder rod-head knuckle pivots up and down as the boom moves vertically in an arc.

Question: how do I move the internal bushing so I can lift the rod up and out of the supporting pivot ‘ears’? In short, how do I get the cylinder rod lifted up and out of the way?

I’m greatly reluctant to just latch on and pull without some additional information. I’ve learned anything can and will break.

Thanks in advance for all thoughts, advice, and insights.

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Thanks for the response and the suggestion.

Taking this slowly so both hoe and I survive the experience.

To me the dang rod-end should lift straight up in an arc.

First I'm going to use a tiny machinist's jackscrew (good for 1,000-lbs but will not get rough at this stage) to put a little upward pressure on it just to see what if anything moves.

Depending on events will then proceed to retract ram with pin removed.

Talked with Kubota Tech this morning and his suggestion was exactly same as yours. Except that he didn't have a good answer when I asked what happens if it binds and the boom begins lifting.

Finally explained he'd squirt it up good and try working it until something came loose.

So pretty much back to basics.

If the bear doesn't win on this one we may learn something. Or just git the bigger hammer.

Thanks again. More ideas welcomed.

Slow process but will post back if and as.