How old is a Kubota?

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
You can find out the year of manufacturer by the serial number. Hours? You have to judge that by condition- meters can stop running, be unhooked or changed, etc.

Guldner

Apr 28, 2013
The Netherlands
You can find out the year of manufacturer by the serial number. Hours? You have to judge that by condition- meters can stop running, be unhooked or changed, etc.
Thanks for your reaction, when I have a serialnumber is there somewere or has someone a list or file were I can convert the serialnumber to a year of manufacturer?

Russ103

Equipment
M8540 4wd 85hp
Apr 27, 2013
Baton Rouge, La.

You got me curious. My Kubota M8540 was purchased 7/27/07. I'm studying my purchase order but it doesn't state the year model it is. I now know my salesman was a bit shady. Anyway my serial # 50199.

I'm kicking around the idea of selling it but not sure of what it's worth. Where do I look for a fair price?

dieseldude

Sep 21, 2012
Baltimore, MD
to find the year of mfg (of the engine at least)look at the serial number right below the injection pump. First part will be the engine model number, followed by a dash, followerd by another set of numbers. The first 2 digits tell the year. The first digit is the year, w for '98, x for '99, y for 2000,1 for 2001, 2 for '02, 3 for '03 through 9 for '09. The next letter tells the month a,b for january, c,d= feb, e,f = march, g,h = april, j,k, =may, l,m = june, n,p = july, q,r = august, s,t = september, u,v = october, w,x = novenber, y,z = december.

For example, my little Z482 has the number

Z482-6A88XX

So it was made in january of 2006. I dont know if this applies to all models or not and sure someone will say if it doesn't, but that is how its listed on my engine service manual.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Tractors equipment are not like auto mobiles they are not sold by a model year but rather a production date and model series. For example my B6100E was built in production from 1978-1984 and then after 84 they discontinued the 6100's and went with the 6200. You can buy a piece of equipment from a dealer in a certain year but who's to say its not old left over inventory that hasn't sold and was sitting there for a year.

Buying and selling used equipment an exact year doesn't really mean a hill of beans, everything on my B6100 for example is the same weather it was built in 78 or 84. All parts are identical all those years.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Some do seem to place a lot of importance in buying a tractor like they buy a car, but as mentioned it isn't the same. Having owned a few tractors, I have no idea what build year any of them are, just the hours and condition, when it cae off the assembly line is no big deal. One may have spent two years in a crate in a warehouse somewhere while another spent a year sitting on a lot, I'll go by condition and take the two year old unit.