How much prep befor painting wheel weights?

phaser

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100HST 4x4, FEL, field mower
Aug 6, 2013
Oregon
I found a set of wheel weights that are currently painted white.

Outside of washing and degreasing is there any more prep I should do before spraying the Kubota Orange?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID

Outside of washing and degreasing is there any more prep I should do before spraying the Kubota Orange?
If any paint is missing or if they are sun faded a quick coat of primmer wouldn't hurt to make the new orange bond well! ;)

Orange Tractors

Equipment
L175 w/Woods L59, Allis Chalmers WD
Jul 19, 2009
Butler, MO

Depends how long you want this paint job to last, and how good you want it to look. A good prep job can make even cheap paint out last the most expensive paint with a poor prep.

I would at least scrape and or sand any rust, if you don't use one of the newer rust converters on it.

Also, slightly rough up the existing paint before putting down a good primer coat, then spraying the top coat.

I don't mind painting and don't mind doing prep work; but I expect to paint my own equipment one time only.

Robert

phaser

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100HST 4x4, FEL, field mower
Aug 6, 2013
Oregon
Thanks Robert

These weights are in pretty good condition paint wise, with just a few spots of rust about the size of a pencil eraser here and there.