How Much Fluid Will I Need To Add A Third Function And Attachment?

Soopitup

Equipment
BX23S
Oct 25, 2018
New England
Adding a Land Pride third function and front mounted auger on my BX23S. Anyone know how much fluid I'll need? I didn't see anything in the paperwork on either.
I'm guessing like 2 qts? Maybe 3?
The auger housing is roughly the size of a large coffee can (Land Pride SA10).

Does the Kubota oil (HST?) come in quarts? gallons?

Is there a viable alternative to the factory fluid? I haven't priced it yet (I know it's going to be $$$$); not looking to cheap out, just curious what the alternatives are.
I know in the automotive world there are almost always comparable aftermarket options for up priced OEM fluids.

TIA

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 w/ 60" MMM, LP 72" Snow Plow, EA Wicked 55" Grapple, and Woods 60" BB
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
Adding a Land Pride third function and front mounted auger on my BX23S. Anyone know how much fluid I'll need? I didn't see anything in the paperwork on either.

Is there a viable alternative to the factory fluid? I haven't priced it yet (I know it's going to be $$$$); not looking to cheap out, just curious what the alternatives are.
I know in the automotive world there are almost always comparable aftermarket options for up priced OEM fluids.

TIA
I grabbed a gallon of Super UDT2 when I did mine but I still have a lot left. You probably only need a quart or so, but if the gallon is a better deal, get that and you'll have it for when you need it. I wouldn't recommend using anything other than Super UDT2 from a Kubota dealer.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I like to keep a gallon on hand just in case there’s a leak, etc.

Reactions: 3 users

DeepWoods

Equipment
B2650HSDC Woodland Mills WC68 Wood Chipper
Apr 10, 2019
Bigfork Minnesota
I don’t know what a gallon jug of Super UDT2 will cost you, but just yesterday I picked up a 5 gallon pail of it at my dealer for $140.00 Up $15.00 from the last time about two years ago.

Reactions: 1 user

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 w/ 60" MMM, LP 72" Snow Plow, EA Wicked 55" Grapple, and Woods 60" BB
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
I want to say the last time I stopped into my dealer it was ~$35 for a gallon.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us

TIA
The amount will best be measured in cups.

Dan

Dan

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
When I added the Land Pride 3rd function to my BX23S, the level on the dipstick didn't even change enough to make a difference. If I had to guess, possibly 3 or 4 ounces to fill the hoses. The level of the oil isn't that critical that a few ounces is going to make much difference. Check the oil level when the oil is hot.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN

TIA
Not much.

The attachment will likely already be charged with (the wrong) oil.

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23SLSB-R-1 plus additions
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
Most pre-built hydraulic implements and Attachments come pre-filled already, I would imagine. I predict you would not need to add but very little.

Always a good plan to have extra on-hand.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
UDT or SUDT isn't that expensive. I wouldn't mess around with something else for the $10 you'll save.

Soopitup

Equipment
BX23S
Oct 25, 2018
New England
Alright thanks.

Many years ago I worked on tanks (M1A1, Hurcules, AVLB), they had gallons and gallons of hyd. fluid. So I'm trying to adjust to this tiny little thing.

It looks like the HST fluid is supposed to be changed for the 50 hour service anyways. I'm already past 30 hours; I may just pick up a gallon and I guess the filters when I get the 3rd function.

Not much.

The attachment will likely already be charged with (the wrong) oil.
What's likely to be in it?

When I added the Land Pride 3rd function to my BX23S, the level on the dipstick didn't even change enough to make a difference. If I had to guess, possibly 3 or 4 ounces to fill the hoses. The level of the oil isn't that critical that a few ounces is going to make much difference. Check the oil level when the oil is hot.
Heh
Checking the oil when it's hot reminds me of a lesson I learned ( I always seem to learn the hard way. It's tough, but it ensures I remember).
Was working on an AVLB (tank hull with a folding bridge for crossing ditches, has a massive hydraulic ram to raise/lower it) and decided to check the hydraulic fluid level with the bridge (and ram) extended, totally ignoring the nagging little voice telling me something was wrong.
To my surprise it was gallons low, so I filled it up.
Then proceeded to raise the bridge.
And watched the gallons I had just poured into the reservoir come cascading out the relief valve all over the front slope and onto the sand.

Reactions: 1 users

Soopitup

Equipment
BX23S
Oct 25, 2018
New England
For anyone searching this down the road

It takes almost a full quart.
Before installing the level was 1/16" to 1/8" above the full line on the dipstick.
After installation (Land Pride third function and SA10 PHD) and running the level was below the bottom of the dipstick.
I added about 5/8 of a quart (all I had left) and it was about 1/8" below the full level.

Reactions: 2 users