How much do industrial tires affect speed?

Carl k

Equipment
L3800DT
Jun 3, 2012
Rice, Virginia
I am looking to buy my first Kubota, most likely an 4WD L3800DT. My intended use for this tractor is bush hogging about 4 acres every other week, occasional maintenance of a 700 foot long gravel driveway with a slight incline, and rare snow removal using a rear blade. I have two questions regarding industrial tires vs Ag tires.

1) I noticed on the Kubota's spec page that the speed for the L3800DT is 1.1 to 13.2 mph using Ag tires. Could anyone tell me how much slower the tractor would be with a set of industrial tires?

2) Would I sacrifice too much traction on snow by going to the industrial tires? (The tractor will be a 4WD).

Thanks very much for your help.

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
I believe the R-4s are a bit shorter (not positive), which would reduce speed a little.

Sounds like you would be fine with R-4s. But I got Ags because I needed the traction!

I'm very impressed with the L3800DT by the way. :D

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Not to sound like a jackass but your talking about bush hogging and ocassional snow removal, not drag racing down the track on the weekend. Either tire you choose weather its ag or R4 you'll still have ample sufficent speed to bush hog and snow plow with.

I do believe to make a huge noticeable difference in speed you'd have to have a much taller tire or a shorter one. The R4 tires are a little bit wider and hase a shorter tread on them versus the Ag's. R4's are the way to go if you dont want to tear up your turf.