How many hours on a typical Kubota diesel before rebuild or replace

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
Looking at the thread on how many hours people have on their tractors. I know I over maintain my BX, oil changes every 100 hours, fuel and air filters too often. But, is there a number that is a good time to do major work to them? Ie: rings, glow plugs at 3K hours etc.

GrassLakeRon

Equipment
B8200HST-DP , RC60-82h Mower Deck, Woods RB6 Rear Blade
Oct 27, 2023
Grass Lake, Michigan
Ok, my knowledge is based on other forums posts. I have read 5,000 hrs is easily achieved with good maintenance. I have seen Kubota tractors with over 3,000 and they look and sound brand new. My tractor reads 395 hours, but my guess is 1,395 hrs. It starts as good as a new one. I looked at an LX first......then I saw my b8200. Almost, physically, the same size, 3/4 it's weight and she started just as fast. It doesn't act 35 years old. My grandfather always said take care of your stuff like their your children and they will be with you a lifetime.

Reactions: 1 users

savageman

Equipment
BX2680 w/loader, 54" mower, Land Pride Box Blade, Rake, Post hole digger
Jun 5, 2013
Texas
I'm No expert but I did own a 2001 BX2200 w/loader, 60" mower for 23 years. Used it on average of 20 hrs a month for the 23 years and never had to repair any major component. Just sold it for 6K and put that down on a 2023 BX2680 w/loader and mower deck. And there's No such thing as "Over Maintained" on a diesel tractor. I just mowed for the first time this year (approx. 4 acres) with the BX2680 and replaced the air filter after the first mow.

Reactions: 1 user

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I have a Bobcat skid steer, with a semi-functioning hour meter. It reads a little over 5,000 hours, and I'm sure it has more than that. The Kubota engine in it is rock solid, uses no oil, and gives no reason to be worried.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Looking at the thread on how many hours people have on their tractors. I know I over maintain my BX, oil changes every 100 hours, fuel and air filters too often. But, is there a number that is a good time to do major work to them? Ie: rings, glow plugs at 3K hours etc.
With the amount you use your BX, Your rebuild will be....
Not in your lifetime! ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Engine life depends mostly upon maintenance and usage, e.g., abuse.

My B1750HST, bought new in May of 1993, has been just about flawless.

In this case the best advise is: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Your Kubota engine uses ONE THING more than anything else…and it will LAST LONGER if you keep that ONE THING CLEAN……. AIR.

Keeping the air filters serviced is more important than changing the oil.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
that’s what I’m hoping for!
and yes, I still wash it and wax it at least once a year
I would have you come do mine, but it would take months to work off my well placed rust inhibiting oil soaked sand mix. :LOL:

Grandad4

Equipment
1949 Farmall M, previously owned: L 4610, BX 2230
Apr 5, 2016
Greensboro, NC
These small Kubota diesel engines are darn near bulletproof. In industrial applications they can last many thousands of hours with proper operation and maintenance. They do not like or tolerate overheating though, and it seems that is something that is often overlooked by us weekend warriors. There have been hundreds if not thousands of threads on the tractor forums on the topic over the years. Learning how to avoid overheating has to be a major part of keeping your Kubota (or any other small diesel), going.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
These small Kubota diesel engines are darn near bulletproof. In industrial applications they can last many thousands of hours with proper operation and maintenance. They do not like or tolerate overheating though, and it seems that is something that is often overlooked by us weekend warriors. There have been hundreds if not thousands of threads on the tractor forums on the topic over the years. Learning how to avoid overheating has to be a major part of keeping your Kubota (or any other small diesel), going.
Yep…. don’t neglect to blow out that radiator chaff-screen….(and your primary air filter.)