How many are still using satellite or cable for TV?

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Wife and I got away from satellite TV a few years ago when our internet speed improved. We've been getting by with an amplified antennae on the roof and a roku stick for Netflix and prime video.

For Christmas this year my wife wanted a new TV. So we took advantage of the black Friday deals and sales and got her one yesterday.

We set the TV up today. Connected it to wifi and the antennae and did a station search. We are getting 24 local TV stations, and then it popped up said 300 IP stations 🤔🤔🤔

So I started flipping through the stations. The 300 stations were a free preview of the "Pluto" app. Then it said we could download the app for free and it supplied TV stations with commercials.

At this point I figured, well what do we have to lose. So I agreed to the terms. No money changes hands ever, no bank info, ect.....

We now have over 800 TV stations, for free.

And you can hit the search button on the remote and hit will bring up the TV guide for the over the air stations as well as the Pluto stations. Just like having cable or dish 😁😁😁😁😁

At this point, I don't think I'll ever go back to paying high prices for satellite or cable TV.

Reactions: 1 user

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
800 channels and nothing on? 😁

I ditched my cable years ago when I tried to renew my Charter cable contract. They were absolute jackasses. I am sure their CEO/company came up with a new business model. At one time, I could negotiate a deal with them and the last time, they were flat out rude. Every time they countered with a new plan, it would be higher than the one they offered before. I told them to terminate my service and never looked back at having TV. I watch YouTube. I also share a Netflix account, which is nearly worthless as well. Modern TV/entertainment is crap.

I did put in an antenna. I am in a bad location and can pick up about 10-15 channels depending on the weather.

Reactions: 1 users

ccoon520

Equipment
L2501 w/ FEL
Apr 15, 2019
IA
I still have Satellite. Unfortunately the internet options available to my wife and I just don't have the bandwidth for us to stream and my wife to work. I'm hoping once 5G gets enough coverage the bandwidth improvement will be enough for us to drop the TV contract and pick up YouTube TV so we can still watch sports games. Even if it is 50 bucks more a month than what I pay for internet now I'll be money ahead after adding YouTube TV, and Sling.

I don't have any real objections to my DirecTV thing now, just the stuff my wife and I watch can be covered by other options at a lower cost if we had the bandwidth to handle it.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
800 channels and nothing on? 😁

I ditched my cable years ago when I tried to renew my Charter cable contract. They were absolute jackasses. I am sure their CEO/company came up with a new business model. At one time, I could negotiate a deal with them and the last time, they were flat out rude. Every time they countered with a new plan, it would be higher than the one they offered before. I told them to terminate my service and never looked back at having TV. I watch YouTube. I also share a Netflix account, which is nearly worthless as well. Modern TV/entertainment is crap.

I did put in an antenna. I am in a bad location and can pick up about 10-15 channels depending on the weather.
We get 24 local channels. Most are crud. I mainly want CBS for a couple shows that I like and local news. And fox cause they have the 9pm news which we will jump on to check if inclement weather is fixing to hit.

There are a few channels that I could watch all the time. The CSI channel, and This old house. I could also see myself getting hooked on the Japanese soap operas as well. 👍👍👍👍

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
We've had Pluto and Philo here for the last 2 years now but with this crappy internet it's hit or miss. We're really looking forward to getting Starlink when we can.

Johnny11

Equipment
G62000HST
Nov 29, 2020
Maryland
I've always been a fan of OTA, even though we are 40 miles from major a city.
Getting a good laugh with a UHF antenna that I just stuck in the ground on a 30" pole; next to the AC.
Can hardy see it, HOA never saw it, and pull in 60 channels. I have a second one up in the attic, its not as good as the one by the AC.
Does OTA have better picture quality than pay for service? Hummm good question, many times YES.
Also bought a Samsung TV 2 years ago, they (Samsung pre-loads an app with channels) it's all seamless and the on-screen guide is awesome.
Other TV ploys, two fire sticks (never use them)
Internet: Fiso-fiber-optic, for internet and bare-bones on channels, that's $140 per month! The only time I use the Fiso for TV is when it is dark enough to use a projector, winter time only really.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Interesting never had heard of Pluto, just downloaded it to our Roku.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Roku itself has a lot of free stuff but you can also do a search on your Roku for free streaming and there are many.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
We hadn't heard of Pluto either. Not until we hooked the new TV up and it was preloaded with a preview of the app.

coachgrd

Equipment
BX 1870
Aug 1, 2017
Waterford, PA
Still have satellite, DishNetwork to be exact. We are working on 6 months without our local Fox affiliate, because of some dispute between Dish & the owner of our Fox affiliate. Dish says it's the fault of NextStar Media (who owns the Fox affiliate), of course NextStar blames Fox. Bottom line is I haven't seen any NFL games broadcast on Fox, other than on the little 4" TV in our kitchen. I'd also like to watch the 10:00 news on Fox. There is no end in sight for their dispute.

I'm way too lazy to research this, so maybe one of you can answer for me. Is there a way I can cut the cord, still get locals and a select few channels I actually watch? (Like History, Discovery, NatGeo.) Thanks in advance.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Still have satellite, DishNetwork to be exact. We are working on 6 months without our local Fox affiliate, because of some dispute between Dish & the owner of our Fox affiliate. Dish says it's the fault of NextStar Media (who owns the Fox affiliate), of course NextStar blames Fox. Bottom line is I haven't seen any NFL games broadcast on Fox, other than on the little 4" TV in our kitchen. I'd also like to watch the 10:00 news on Fox. There is no end in sight for their dispute.

I'm way too lazy to research this, so maybe one of you can answer for me. Is there a way I can cut the cord, still get locals and a select few channels I actually watch? (Like History, Discovery, NatGeo.) Thanks in advance.
You can put up an antenna for all your locals and if you have a Roku stick or TV (we have a Roku tv in the living room and a Roku stick in each of the bedrooms just plug and play) you can download all the free apps Roku has to offer and there are many. We also have Philo which is from the US (I did a work around to get it being from Canada) and it's only $20.00us a month for what we have. Probably lots of how to info on Youtube on how to set up what Roku has to offer. It's very easy once you get started. The only reason we have cable right now is for my wife's soap but I managed to figure out a work around for that this morning. If you get stuck feel free to ask.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
We put an amplified antennae on the roof using the existing cable from where our dish was mounted.

Here's a link for you to find the channels for your area. It shows the channel and direction.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
We run DirecTV so I can record and skip all the commercials. I can't go back to watching commercials (been commercial free since the first TIVO introduction). With three tech savy sons, we also have every streaming service available, so not only have we not "cut the cord", we have added a bunch of other cords.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
OTA for the last 18 years.... we’re satisfied with the 30 channels we get and the nearly $20K saved over the old DishNetWork.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
I wish we had enough bandwidth to support a TV. Sometime it struggles to support this Laptop.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
I ordered a new amplified roof antenna last night to replace the storm damaged one that I have been using. It will be the beginning of an experiment.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
I ordered a new amplified roof antenna last night to replace the storm damaged one that I have been using. It will be the beginning of an experiment.
Do the amplified antenna really make that much difference. I had an antenna up here for a while and all we could bring in was 2 local channels. You guys have a link to the antennas you're buying?

random

Equipment
L3301, bucket, backhoe, grader, plow, harrow, cultivator
Nov 2, 2020
NC
I still have Satellite. Unfortunately the internet options available to my wife and I just don't have the bandwidth for us to stream and my wife to work.
Interesting. Have you looked into satellite at all?

It has its problems (latency, mainly) but we do fine with HughesNet - streaming, I WFH as a programmer so I'm connected to several company internal devices constantly, plus various meetings. My wife has appointments via webex or zoom pretty regular, son does zoom & is also a programmer, we watch stuff on netflix, rarely a problem. Just need to remember that there's a couple seconds of delay when on a meeting - like talking to someone on the moon.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Try https://www.locast.org/ for local channels. They are not available in all areas but many of you may be in their coverage area. The website does a location check automatically to let you know if they serve your area. It is $5.50 per month. They also have a ROKU app so yoiu can add that to your ROKU. In my market there is 58 local channels including FOX, CBS, NBC, and ABC. All the channels are live TV, not time delayed or any other type of exceptions.