How long will 0% financing last?

JR_nw

Aug 20, 2021
Pacific NW
I don't actually need my new tractor til next summer when we move into our new home, but am concerned the 0% won't last through spring when I would be ordering it to allow for the 3-4 month shipping delays.

Buying now would mean payments for a tractor that I would not be able to use at all (and would need to find storage). So, I would really rather wait.

I have not been shopping for tractors before so how frequently does a deal like the 0% financing come around?

Reactions: 1 user

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
I believe there is a 12% price hike rumored on the horizon, it was posted in this forum a few weeks ago. my dealer also mentioned a price hike was going to happen within a few months so it kinda jives with that too.

D

Deleted member 47704

They just raised prices earlier this year.

JR_nw

Aug 20, 2021
Pacific NW
I believe there is a 12% price hike rumored on the horizon, it was posted in this forum a few weeks ago. my dealer also mentioned a price hike was going to happen within a few months so it kinda jives with that too.
Ugh, of course they will. Does the financing option usually remain so low through the price increases? Trying to understand how rare of a deal it actually is.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
The financing has been running at least 3 years so far as I can tell. More probably. But hard to predict what happens in the future. Interest rates in Japan are super low, I presume Kubota are using Japanese borrowing to allow that 0% interest rate. Actually, as I say that I remember interest rates are super low in USA too. So, until interest rates in general go up, I'd say it's gonna stay.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
It has been going on for over 3 years now. Hard to know, but they are selling everything right now so if they were going to switch now is a good time. However it has been a very successful program and they just mark up the price of the machine to compensate. I expect it to stick around.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
too lazy to look, does deere do the same?

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I received an email notice from Kubota USA just yesterday announcing 84 month 0% financing and $1,400 discount on L series tractors. I think it also included some ZT mowers with a smaller discount.

I was tempted to post it on the forum, but I deleted the email.

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 w/ S2T Turbo Kit = 35 PTO HP (Current), B2601 (Sold)
May 7, 2021
WA
^^^^
I got that email too. To bad I don’t need another L series, lol

Prices increased 3% in 2021 and are expected to go up more in the coming months.

Mike

ddavis83864

Equipment
Kubota Grand L6060
Mar 3, 2021
From what I have seen in my area (North Idaho) and heard others talk about, if you want a tractor next summer you might want to get your name on a list now with a deposit. Seems like its taking longer and longer to get stuff as the "global just in time economy" burns down.

PaulR

Equipment
BX 23S -- 100 hours seat time so far
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
zero % interest has been a gimmick in the car industry for ohh, about the last 20 years if that is any indication.

johnsayen

Jul 3, 2021
Michigan
zero % interest has been a gimmick in the car industry for ohh, about the last 20 years if that is any indication.
The car industry 0% is different. The rebates typically offered instead of financing far exceed the typical interest savings.
With kubota the rebates are (were?) within $500 on the L series.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
My 2650 is 3 yrs old now and the 0% financing had been around for quite a while before that. The salesman couldn't say for sure how long it would last.....but here we are 3 yrs later. Like they say in stocks and mutual funds: Past performance is no guarantee of future performance.

There was a JD flyer recently here that advertised 0% for 36 months on some select equipment. Not sure if applied to tractors.

Signing the dotted line now would at least get you on the list at todays prices and guarantee (well, most likely guarantee) you'd have your tractor by the time you needed it. If you figure the Time Value of Money, the down payment and other expenses prior to getting the tractor would probably be a "wash" against the possible higher prices expected next year and who knows what the availability will be like. You'd have to ensure the warranty wouldn't start until delivery.

Knowing that you will definitely have a certain model tractor would help in planning for any additional upgrades, implements, etc. that you could get on the waiting list for early enough to expect a spring delivery of those items.

If you get your tractor on order now and it comes before the need for it......you're more than welcome to store it at my place! :D

PortTackFarm

Equipment
L3560 LE (ROP's) w/ LA805 FEL, LP RCF 2072, BB2572 and WoodMaxx WM-8H
Jul 2, 2021
The Ville and The Farm (KY)
Deere has been running similar 0% for 84 months offers on their subcompact and compact tractors for the past few years too. I've seen the print ads in the paper. Yes I still get two newspapers a day. Not sure if Kubota is trying to stay competitive with JD or vice versa. Money is still pretty cheap right now but of course the doom and gloomer's see big inflation just around the corner so cheap money may not last into 2022. How lucky do you feel? I jumped on the 0% deal because even though borrowing is relatively cheap now, 0% still feels pretty good.

Last edited:

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I also saw that Kubota was still offering 20% equine discounts...get your subscriptions before placing your tractor order.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
My theory is that Kubota is a Japanese company. Interest rates in Japan have been very very near zero for nearly 20 years. I think they're borrowing money in Japan and lending it out in USA - what used to be known as the "carry trade".

If they're borrowing in Japan at 0.25%, and using that to run 0%, then it's costing them about $320 on a $50K machine, about $100 on a $15K machine (in total over 5 years). I think they're using Kubota's balance sheet to underwrite it - i.e. they're not looking at your credit rating, they're saying "we still own the tractor till it's paid off, Kubotas don't lose their value much, so there's no financial risk to the lender." So they don't need to charge you the 6% consumer finance rate, or whatever you'd actually be entitled to given your credit rating.

To me, that's also why they have the awesome KTAC insurance - they need to show their lender that no matter how stupid the buyer is, there's still enough tractor there to secure the loan. So they make you buy insurance that says "even if I'm a moron and wreck my tractor, it'll get replaced new for old."

Pretty much everyone says that there isn't much cash discount in it, and to me that'd be the reason. Of course, there are also differences regionally, I suspect based on the dealer. So some people get cash discounts, but I think that's more because their dealer knows they expect it than because the dealer has more bargaining room when you pay cash.

Note that my comments here are very specific to Kubota - so comparing to car sales isn't relevant if my theory is true.

Reactions: 1 users

random

Equipment
L3301, bucket, backhoe, grader, plow, harrow, cultivator
Nov 2, 2020
NC
The financing has been running at least 3 years so far as I can tell. More probably. But hard to predict what happens in the future. Interest rates in Japan are super low, I presume Kubota are using Japanese borrowing to allow that 0% interest rate. Actually, as I say that I remember interest rates are super low in USA too. So, until interest rates in general go up, I'd say it's gonna stay.
Longer. I got 0% when I bought 6 years ago

WhitleyStu

Premium Member

Equipment
B2601 LA435 FEL 60" MMM 60" Snow Blower FSP500 Spreader 5' Grahl Roller 40 spray
Sep 10, 2020
Indiana
When I bought my first Kubota BX in 2005 I received the 0% financing just as we did last year for our new Kubota B2601. Has Kubota ever not offered 0% financing?