How long to idle before it's better to turn off ignition?

GlennieGlade

Equipment
2019 Kubota L4600, Front loader LA714
Nov 30, 2021
Gleniffer NSW Australia
I often do little loading jobs where I'm on and off the tractor, stacking a few rocks in the bucket, and so on.

For the tractor's wellbeing, is it better to turn the ignition off, or leave it idling?

I have a L4600 HD.

Thanks for your insight

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I often do little loading jobs where I'm on and off the tractor, stacking a few rocks in the bucket, and so on.

For the tractor's wellbeing, is it better to turn the ignition off, or leave it idling?

I have a L4600 HD.

Thanks for your insight
I never turn off my tractor when jumping on and off to load things in the bucket. Be safe though: transmission in neutral and parking brake on or rear implement on ground.

Reactions: 1 user

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
Just rev it up to 2800 rpm and do your work. These diesels are built to run.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Just rev it up to 2800 rpm and do your work. These diesels are built to run.
I prefer to "just rev it up to"..... 1,200 RPM.
For me, 2,800 RPM is like screaming in church.
All day long, at each stop, the UPS driver runs his diesel at $1,000 RPM or less.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
If you can load the bucket in under 10 minutes, keep engine running. The amount of fuel burned is tiny compared to the wear and tear on engine, starter, battery, alternator, etc. if you 'start-run-stop-again and again' all day long.

Reactions: 3 users

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
I usually run mine at 2000 or so unless I'm using the pro then I run it at the rpms needed to get to 540 rpm at the pro. I try to let it run at 1800 or so for a few minutes after I turn the pot off to let the turbo cool down a bit before shutting it down. I haven't had any problems yet.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I am not real sure what is correct for a diesel, but my thoughts are based off differences from 4 stroke engines.

To me the hardest thing on a diesel is starting when cold…diesel needs compression(friction/heat) to combust the fuel. More RPMs means more friction/heat and more power from the combustion cycle due to the higher heat(burn more efficiently and completely with higher heat)….when a diesel idles it cools. Diesel has its advantage when you get the higher heat to combust efficiently, which is not at idle. In general I think it’s better to run a diesel at higher rpms / load. However as I mentioned before I thinking starting is bad, but if you turn off for not too long the engine is still warmer than when cold and probably still lubricated…it’s much worse when cold and not lubricated….I can’t imagine that is good for the rings or much anything else. To me if at idle it’s not burning fuel efficiently so I wonder about what that does…I don’t think its ideal, but maybe it’s better than starting a lot. When the machine does a regen it uses higher rpms for a reason….nothing getting cleaned if idling. But I am most certainly not a diesel mechanic either so take with grain of salt…just my thoughts.

So based on i that rationalization(it could be wrong), for me if I am getting on/off a lot I let it run (2-3ish minutes per stop). If I am going to be away from the machine for a longer (10ish minutes or more) period I shut it off. So as an example when I am doing wood and loading wood in the bucket by hand to take up to porch and stack…I let it run when hand loading into bucket and when hand emptying to stack in the porch. If I am going inside, to take my boots off and drop a deuce, I am shutting it off. That’s just me / just my thoughts.

Reactions: 1 users

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I can’t say I understand why let an engine run idling for hours during warm summer months unless charging a battery or using electricity generated by the engine/alternator…it certainly would not take that long to warm up. Snowman and Fred turned the rig off to go in to the choke-n-puke…it started right up😉

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I am not real sure what is correct for a diesel, but my thoughts are based off differences from 4 stroke engines.

To me the hardest thing on a diesel is starting when cold…diesel needs compression(friction/heat) to combust the fuel. More RPMs means more friction/heat and more power from the combustion cycle due to the higher heat(burn more efficiently and completely with higher heat)….when a diesel idles it cools. Diesel has its advantage when you get the higher heat to combust efficiently, which is not at idle. In general I think it’s better to run a diesel at higher rpms / load. However as I mentioned before I thinking starting is bad, but if you turn off for not too long the engine is still warmer than when cold and probably still lubricated…it’s much worse when cold and not lubricated….I can’t imagine that is good for the rings or much anything else. To me if at idle it’s not burning fuel efficiently so I wonder about what that does…I don’t think its ideal, but maybe it’s better than starting a lot. When the machine does a regen it uses higher rpms for a reason….nothing getting cleaned if idling. But I am most certainly not a diesel mechanic either so take with grain of salt…just my thoughts.

So based on i that rationalization(it could be wrong), for me if I am getting on/off a lot I let it run (2-3ish minutes per stop). If I am going to be away from the machine for a longer (10ish minutes or more) period I shut it off. So as an example when I am doing wood and loading wood in the bucket by hand to take up to porch and stack…I let it run when hand loading into bucket and when hand emptying to stack in the porch. If I am going inside, to take my boots off and drop a deuce, I am shutting it off. That’s just me / just my thoughts.
Very compendious. Very.

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
Once a diesel is running it tends to stay running. Mine decided not to start down the hill and a walk to the barn. For me it now comes down to how far I want to walk to get tools or to get a tow. I rarely shut it down. It is rather old and has a ton of hours on it. I up the idle and do not worry about the fuel cost.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The answer varies depending on if it's an emissions tractor or not.
Your tractor is non emissions.
So leaving it idle for extended periods of time will not hurt it in the least.

If you had an emissions tractor avoiding long idle times will save lots of abuse now and down the line.
They plug up the emissions equipment in noting flat idling.

Diesel engines take more fuel to start (especially very large engines) than they do idling for some time.
They also have less wear being lubed up and warm then they do going from a cold start.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I agree that emissions tractors shouldn't be idled, but on the other hand, many of them have turbos and most people say you shouldn't shut down a turbo when it's really hot.

Maybe someone will post what their manual says to do with a emissions - turbo tractor.

cthomas

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC
Jan 1, 2017
La Farge Wi
Anything with a diesel engine that has emissions whether it be a DOC (Diesel Oxidation Catalyst), DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter), and SCR (Selective Catalytic Reduction) should not be idled more than 5 minutes. If the engine is warm the amount of wear it experiences is minimal when restarting. As for the wear on the starter think about it the engine is cranking for maybe 3 seconds. I have seen a newer starter fail within a couple of minutes(idiot using starter to bled fuel system). I know I can buy 10 starters for the price of a failed convertor for the emission system. And that does not include the labor as I think most on here could replace a starter, but few have the able and tools to replace and clear codes for the emission system as you have to perform a regeneration or two to clear the code.