How good would a grapple work picking up cut and split firewood logs?

davidmem

Equipment
Soon to be owner of Kubota B2601 Toro TimeCutter Model 7577
Mar 14, 2021
Bethany, CT
Looking for uses for the third function other than my snowblower on my b2601. Wondering how a grapple would work on cut and split firewood logs. My guess is they would all fall through the openings in the grapple. Any thoughts on that? I burn about 4 cord a year and this would help make filling the wood shed easier.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
pretty much anything can be picked up with a grapple, just depends how efficiently. Split logs can be tossed into an IBC tote and easily moved with forks.

Reactions: 1 user

davidmem

Equipment
Mar 14, 2021
Bethany, CT
pretty much anything can be picked up with a grapple, just depends how efficiently. Split logs can be tossed into an IBC tote and easily moved with forks.
I
If the firewood, or most of it would stay in the grapple when they're cut and ready as firewood, then I could easily carry those to the shed and hold them in the grapple as I reach to stack them

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
I found that my grapple doesn't like picking up firewood sized logs. Full sticks are much easier. My FIL and BIL got to the tree before I did, and had the top cut into 20" pieces.... Ugh. Ended up moving what I could, and backed a trailer down and hand tossed.

If you can keep them 8-10' sticks, and take them to where you are splitting/stacking, that seems to work out better/more efficient.

Reactions: 4 users

imnukensc

Equipment
BX2380
Sep 10, 2015
Midlands of SC
I don't have a grapple so take my comments with a grain of salt. Would making a temporary solid bottom on the grapple with a sheet of tin/galvanized roofing work? Maybe punch some slits through it and use some worm clamps or heavy wire to attach it. Just a thought. Maybe not a good one. Even some heavy gauge wire fencing might work.

davidmem

Equipment
Mar 14, 2021
Bethany, CT
I'm wondering if a multi purpose bucket would work better for this?

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
I built this grapple a few years back that might do what you want. If you were closer I'd make you a deal as I don't need it anymore.

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
I found picking up wood cut into 18" sections to be a pain with my grapple. I cut up a hickory tree and figured I could just grab several pieces at once and load onto my trailer. With a single lid grapple like I have, once I clamp down, the lid will only close as tight as the largest piece, and any smaller pieces will fall through the gap in the grapple. A dual lid may work better. I suppose if I had a pile of firewood, my plan would have worked better. But, I concluded, picking up several small pieces of wood with my grapple is not ideal.

Reactions: 1 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
sounds like you cut/split where the trees were ?
you shoud be using the loader to haul LOGS to in front of the woodshed THEN cut/split/stack . When you're 'bored', pick and place the logs into the shed.

4 cord isn't really a lot of wood though...

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
48B8BB82-9125-4683-B53B-2D80F05124EB.png
17A55DDC-5FAE-426A-ACF9-E8A5CBEE18D3.png
B54D05C8-2E12-41AC-B7FA-483268A6E48B.png

It’s been said already, but....
I have logs stacked up in the log yard, 150’ from my wood shed. I put a saw buck right in front of the wood shed, pick up a log, run over to the shed, place it on the saw buck, and cut. You don’t have to go anywhere to move rounds.
I keep one side with rounds and one side split. Never used all the split in one year, even though I only heat using wood in the stove.
With the two compartment wood shed, I can set up the splitter right there also, split and right into the other side. Minimum stooping and bending, just keep it close to the stacking area in the shed.
Make it as easy on your body as you can, but the Grapple is an AWESOME tool! I have 40-50 trees every year that need to be cleared out of the woods. Using the Grapple to pick up slash and deposit in a convenient area to have a burn, is priceless. My most used implement by far. I can leave the logs in place to be gathered up with the Grapple at a later time.
Once you get good with it, you can pick up single blocks or sticks, just about anything small or large.

Last edited:

davidmem

Equipment
Mar 14, 2021
Bethany, CT
....just brilliant.

I did so much work to get my 20 or so cords cut and split with my little cart of my tractor and hauling my long splitter around. Probably why I have a herniated disc and purchasing a tractor!

I do have a split shed, making your idea viable down the road.

Wishing I can turn time back and get my tractor sooner. Sigh.

I'm thinking of changing my FEL bucket to a "split" or "combination" bucket as that would be helpful as well for moving some wood and also just more offering more utility than a fixed bucket.

Any thoughts on the "split"/"Combination" bucket welcomed!!!!!

David

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
Wishing I can turn time back and get my tractor sooner. Sigh.
Yeah, me too.

I will add, like said, a grapple could cut down on your firewood work tremendously. (If you have tractor set up for it, you should have a grapple anyway IMO.) But, dropping a tree and then picking up the cut pieces was a no-go for me. However, as suggested, you can just move whole logs to another location and cut/split there. Like B737 said way up top, you can also have a system like an IBC Tote container where you can put the processed wood into and move with pallet forks.

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
The HLA 48” root rake grapple isn’t the greatest at picking up split wood if you can’t get to it lengthwise. I had a pile to move and the side where I had to drive towards the ends of the wood I ran into them sometimes jamming/stopping the grapple and smaller ones would fall out. A guy down the road has a home made grapple that’s got manure tines for the bottom and then basically a clamshell type lid. I have watched him moving firewood with it and it works pretty good.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
I have had this bucket on 2 different tractors. It works well as a grapple while still having the bucket as needed. Plus it is relatively low priced. The claw also is useful when loading the bucket with dirt or gravel. Low weight as well.

Check out the add a grapple. in the website below.

Brian H

Equipment
MX5200HST, MTL RK5 Gr, Ford 850, King Kutter brush hog, rototiller, blade, disk.
Feb 8, 2019
Waupaca, WI
A rock grapple with double lid will work ok
A root grapple with single lid might suck.

Reactions: 1 users

davidmem

Equipment
Mar 14, 2021
Bethany, CT
A rock grapple with double lid will work ok
A root grapple with single lid might suck.
Is the lid something that someone fabricates on their own, or are these built with a "lid". Total newbie here.