Wood Grapple Build

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Time to get going on some winter projects. One thing that I can use is a small wood grapple to pick up the larger logs. I have been using my brush grapple, but that still requires rolling or lifting the the pieces and placing them in piles so I can access them. What I am going to build is a small grapple with a little 'twist' in the design. It will mount to the FEL via a SSQA.

I found this CAD file of a grapple on the net and I like the design. It was way bigger than I needed, so I scaled it down. Got most of the pieces cut out and here we go with the build.

Attachments

JackJ

Equipment
BX1870-1
Mar 14, 2016
Indiana
Very glad to have a new Yooper build project to follow! I don't have the tools or skills to do anything comparable, but appreciate learning about the design and fabrication regardless.

Jack

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, FEL With QA 60"mmm, 3pt FDR1672,homemade ballast box, BB 1572 box scraper
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
Looks like a fun project!! It will be interesting to see how adapt to the SSQA and attach the hydraulics.

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Working on the left side grapple, which has the linkage to the cylinder. Thought I had it set for machining the bore for the pin, but I want to cut off the small bosses and weld them on the main frame. Reason is, I want to lock the pin so the main tube on the grapple will pivot on the pin. As it sits right now, the pin can rotate either way, and I don't want that.

Attachments

m32825

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Jul 12, 2013
Central FL
That is nice work! What thickness material are you using? What are you using to weld it? Give us wannabe welders some details, thanks!

-- Carl

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Very glad to have a new Yooper build project to follow! I don't have the tools or skills to do anything comparable, but appreciate learning about the design and fabrication regardless.

Jack
Looks like a fun project!! It will be interesting to see how adapt to the SSQA and attach the hydraulics.
Very professional! Nice looking welds too.
I can only wish I had skills like that :eek:
Thanks everyone! Appreciate the feedback!

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
That is nice work! What thickness material are you using? What are you using to weld it? Give us wannabe welders some details, thanks!

-- Carl
I'm using mostly 1/4" mild steel. Trying to keep the weight down. I'm not an engineer and my thought process works like this: If I think 1/4" will work, I'll bump it up to 1/2" just to make sure. We'll have to wait and see.

I use a Miller XMT 304 with a 75 series dual feed. .035 hard wire and .052 flux core with straight CO2. Thanks for asking!

Attachments

crmorse

Equipment
'20 RTV-XG850, '16 L47 TLB, '06 JCB 506CHL, '99 JD 455G, 1953 Ford 8N
Nov 28, 2016
Anniston, AL
I love projects like these! Thanks for sharing. subscribed!

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Finished the linkages up today. Found some flange sleeve bearings that will work perfect with some shoulder bolts. Don't know where these came from, but I've had them forever. Real odd OD on them that make no sense in either imperial or metric, so had to do some machining for fit. Installed linkage and measured for what I'll need for hydraulic cylinder stroke. Going to shorten a cylinder from my stock. So far, this project has not cost me that much with all the stuff I'm managing to scrounge.

Attachments

Grumpyjoe

Dec 21, 2016
Miller
Very nice. I used to be able to weld like that but someone told me not to do that work in my sleep. Great dreaming though. In reality I am lucky when it grinds smooth. There is a reason I buy manufactured implements. Others are much better at cutting and welding.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Great write up, always enjoy your projects, keep 'em coming.:)

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, FEL With QA 60"mmm, 3pt FDR1672,homemade ballast box, BB 1572 box scraper
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
Hey Yooper. Those are some pretty great ideas using linkage on the jaws and a trunion I am assuming to rotate the unit. I am still blown away from your other post on shortening your hydraulic cylinder. I have never heard of that being done!! Awesome work. Very interesting to follow along.

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Hey Yooper. Those are some pretty great ideas using linkage on the jaws and a trunion I am assuming to rotate the unit. I am still blown away from your other post on shortening your hydraulic cylinder. I have never heard of that being done!! Awesome work. Very interesting to follow along.
Thanks! Like to hear from fellow OTT members that are entertained by my posts.

This grapple is going to get real interesting very soon. Got one of my 'Rube Goldberg' mechanisms coming up on this build. Stay tuned!