How effective is an Engine Overhaul? L245DT

Jerry D

May 31, 2009
Waterloo, On, Canada
I've got a L245DT. Parents bought it for a summer project and I've cleaned it all up and given it a new coat of paint. Thing is it ran pretty well before I took it apart and now it doesn't run at all.

I've got a great tractor shop down the road run by Mennonites and they only charge $17 an hour + parts. I'm thinking about getting it overhauled. We've had other tractors worked on, and service has been top notch.

What can I expect in terms of reliability and performance. - It does... have... wait for it... 4200 HOURS!

Here are some pictures

Last edited:

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
Great restoration job.

That many hours would indicate a complete overhaul is way overdue to get a reliable tractor again. Injectors and the fuel system should get the first look. Maybe it will come back to life with just that bit of overhaul if funds are tight. I'm guessing that you replaced all of the filters and fluids when doing the restoration.

Since it ran fine before the restoration there is no reason that it shouldn't be able to be started with just some minor tweaks. Is fuel being delivered to the injectors? Does it chug and smoke a bit? If so, new injectors may be all that is needed. The shop should be able to check the spray pattern. Injectors at that many hours actually wear out.

Last edited:

bruceatlam

Equipment
B20, FEL, box blade, flail mower
Aug 20, 2009
Camarillo, California
Kind of a crap shoot without some data. I guess you don't know if it's been overhauled before?? You say it ran pretty well before you took it apart. That could be a clue.

What were/are some of the basics? Compression? Oil pressure? Engine temp?? Did it pull hard when it was running or was it pretty wimpy??

Jerry D

May 31, 2009
Waterloo, On, Canada
It had excellent pulling power. Blew out some white smoke and and blew out some from the blow by as well. All the fluids and filters were changed.

The tractor does start up when pulled with another tractor but when using the key it just turns over and turns over some more...

I could tell some items have been replaced and worked on due to different color seals being used and what not.

I'm sure it's probably just some minor tweaking. Its sat since the summer ended as I've gone back to school, either way though, I would like to see it running again.

The farm owns it currently and since its family run would cover the overhaul costs as it has and will be used more this summer on the farm. I think a complete overhaul would be a good thing to get done this winter.

Last edited:

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
I'm not very knowledgeable about the particular model but it sounds like a fuel pump problem.

Can you hear the fuel pump clicking when the key is turned just before the start position? Maybe a relay has gone out if you don't hear anything. A connection could have come unplugged when the tractor was put back together.

You could disconnect one of the feed lines to the injectors and see if fuel squirts out.

If it will start and run with a pull then it must be a mechanical fuel pump that works fine when the engine is turning and driving the pump.

dusty-t

Feb 17, 2009
Mountforest Ontario
Hi Jerry. If the shop is not too far away, take the tractor down to them and have them check it out. Have you ever watched a Mennonite farmer check over a tractor or other farm equipment before they buy it. They do everything but split the tractor. And thats a farmer not the mechanic.Well worth the money to have it checked out. Just 1&1/2 cents worth. :D Dusty P.S Nice job.

RDR

Equipment
M5400,B6100E,K008,L175,TG1860Diesel,JD355D,3)Leyland 154D's,YM2000,IH1466
Oct 13, 2009
Danevang, Tx.
I'm sorry but I can't help it. Before it was all go and no show. Now it is all show and no go. Which was better?

I have three tractors that are "all go and no show." I threw in my 154 British Leyland for another reason. If you look you will see the wheel weights. The tires are also loaded. The middle buster with the weights on it pulls hard if you sock it in the ground. One time I was using it on the L245DT that I had. I had to put it on the Leyland to do the job. Not because of horsepower, but because of traction. The two wheel drive Leyland did better than the L245DT because of weight. Four wheel drive doesn't do much good when the front wheels are barely touching the ground.

As you can see, the B6100E looks rough. The spot of oil under it came from the crackcase breather because of the blowby, but it starts and runs, does the job, and I'M NOT SPENDING UNGODLY SUMS OF MONEY to rebuild a $250 mini-tractor as long as it does what I need.

I like my Kubota tractors and excavator, but I have totally abused the Leyland for 17 years now with no problems. It "takes a licking and keeps on ticking." I paid $500 for it 17 years ago, put a water pump on it, rear tires a few years later and keep using it.

I have orange, blue, red and green. They all do the job, they are all paid for and I don't have much money in them. My favorite is my Kubota K-008 mini-excavator. It sure can do the job with only 10.1 hp.

Attachments

RDR

Equipment
Oct 13, 2009
Danevang, Tx.
Forgot to mention in my rambling, sounds like your glow plugs are working.

RDR

Equipment
Oct 13, 2009
Danevang, Tx.
Forgot to mention in my rambling, sounds like your glow plugs are working.
Meant to say the glow plugs aren't working. See if there is power to them when there should be.