How do you store your loader when off the tractor?

Jhtractor

Equipment
2021 LX3310, LA535, RTR1258 tiller, QH10, BB1260, LX2963, PF1242, RCK60
Apr 23, 2021
Wisconsin
Getting ready for my first winter with my new LX3310. I have a front mounted snowblower and will be putting that on soon. Question for others, how are you storing your loader when off the tractor? I know I need a flat and level surface to remove it, thinking about building some sort of a dolly so I can roll it around the garage on the concrete floor to tuck it away in the corner. My other implements, tiller, box blade, pallet forks, post hole auger sit on an pallet to be moved around with the loader and pallet forks. I saw some folks are building a dolly for the loader bucket, trying to see if the dolly will interfere with removal/install of the bucket and loader.
My other thought would be to put the loader and bucket on a piece of plywood on my gravel pad next the the garage and tarp the loader for the winter to store it outside. That option saves room in the garage, but I am not excited about leaving it outside all winter since I plan to build an outbuilding next summer to make room in the garage workshop for the tractor and attachments.

Appreciate any insight others have to address their situations.

Reactions: 1 user

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
I don't (yet) have a loader, but am interested in seeing what you'll get for replies, because storing outside will be pretty much be my only option when that day comes.

BobInSD

Equipment
L5740
Jun 23, 2020
South Dakota
I think a gravel pad would be sufficient (and the plywood would shatter anyway). If I had to pick I'd put the box blade and pallet forks outside and keep the loader inside. I would be concerned about a tarp trapping moisture and doing more harm than good. Maybe try to steak it out and lift it up so as to let the implement underneath breath? If I had to leave the loader outside I would rub any exposed hydraulic cylinder with some thin oil (ATF, maybe).

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Probably not useful for your situation but my Kubota sits in a 80’ long bay behind our old Farmall H. When I take the loader off I leave it sitting in the bay behind the Farmall. Don’t have a front mount implement other than the loader so I only take it off about four times a year to mow two fields that are really tight due to the trees in them and after mowing I put it back on partly so the Farmall isn’t blocked in. I use the loader so much I wouldn’t leave it off long.

If I was going to leave it off for a while I’d consider leaving it in the dirt floor machine shed but that floor isn’t as level as the concrete pad in its normal bay and I’d be a bit nervous about that. Either that or move the Farmall out, drop the loader, move the Farmall back in, and leave it in front of the Farmall. My oft used implements are on dollies on the concrete floor. Can’t quite imagine the dolly that would be required for the loader. A loader dolly would be a rather large, stout contraption.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Probably not useful for your situation but my Kubota sits in a 80’ long bay behind our old Farmall H. When I take the loader off I leave it sitting in the bay behind the Farmall. Don’t have a front mount implement other than the loader so I only take it off about four times a year to mow two fields that are really tight due to the trees in them and after mowing I put it back on partly so the Farmall isn’t blocked in. I use the loader so much I wouldn’t leave it off long.

If I was going to leave it off for a while I’d consider leaving it in the dirt floor machine shed but that floor isn’t as level as the concrete pad in its normal bay and I’d be a bit nervous about that. Either that or move the Farmall out, drop the loader, move the Farmall back in, and leave it in front of the Farmall. My oft used implements are on dollies on the concrete floor. Can’t quite imagine the dolly that would be required for the loader. A loader dolly would be a rather large, stout contraption.
Humm........wish I could periodically take my Kubota loader off!
Not removable!

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Humm........wish I could periodically take my Kubota loader off!
Not removable!
A lot of the guys I know with older tractors have pin on buckets, no third function, and fixed loaders. Our Farmall is like that. It has a loader that takes a pair of custom stands and at least half a day to remove. Another half day or more to reinstall. After having a quick attach loader with SSQA, the functionality of the machine in general is tremendously increased. Nothing against the older iron but I wouldn’t consider a tractor without a quick attach loader and quick couple for the bucket/forks unless it was a single use type situation where I never, ever had a need to remove it or swap loader implements.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
A lot of the guys I know with older tractors have pin on buckets, no third function, and fixed loaders. Our Farmall is like that. It has a loader that takes a pair of custom stands and at least half a day to remove. Another half day or more to reinstall. After having a quick attach loader with SSQA, the functionality of the machine in general is tremendously increased. Nothing against the older iron but I wouldn’t consider a tractor without a quick attach loader and quick couple for the bucket/forks unless it was a single use type situation where I never, ever had a need to remove it or swap loader implements.
But......I do have the quick attach feature for bucket/forks/grapple etc. I also have a 3rd function divider for hydraulic bucket/fork/grapple latching.
I do not have to dismount, to attach and latch front mounted implements,....... I love it.
Can't detach the loader itself though.

loggin

Equipment
MX4700
Sep 4, 2021
canada
I second the idea of storing the the box blade and pallet forks outside and the loader indoors. You can just spray down the box blade and the pallet forks with some oil/rust inhibitor and store them off the ground on some wood and they will be just fine. Hydraulic cylinders and hoses, on the other hand, are expensive to replace.

Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: 3 users

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
I roll my loader and arms around ( in doors) on 2 HF dollys, with a couple 2x6”s and plywood on it. I wouldn’t just tarp it. It would be smart to store under cover, out of the weather if possible. Before I would just tarp it on the ground, how about a quick lean to to put it under, and on blocks off the ground. Air circulation. No sun, no snow. It will last much longer, and look so much better

thebicman

Equipment
B2601 + BX2755HD + 50" box blade
Feb 2, 2017
Ottawa, ontario
Presently am using a temporary garage. Shelterlogic. To store the tractor and all attachments in the summer. In the winter I keep the loader and everything I can fit in the shelter. Loader goes on a scrap piece of plywood and stays there until winters over. Once the ground hardens up in the spring then I switch the blower for the loader. Tractor with snowblower stays in another shelter next to the house for the winter.

Jhtractor

Equipment
Apr 23, 2021
Wisconsin
I roll my loader and arms around ( in doors) on 2 HF dollys, with a couple 2x6”s and plywood on it. I wouldn’t just tarp it. It would be smart to store under cover, out of the weather if possible. Before I would just tarp it on the ground, how about a quick lean to to put it under, and on blocks off the ground. Air circulation. No sun, no snow. It will last much longer, and look so much better
Thats what I was thinking, be nice to be able to move it around my workshop if its in the way over the winter. I can make room for it indoors if its mobile. Anything you do different when removing the loader onto the Dollys vs. the floor?

FreezinGator

Equipment
BX1500 LA181 FEL 48MMM Back blade
Jul 10, 2020
Upstate NY
I only take mine off to mow or use the lawn sweeper. I take it on and off in the garage with a level floor right where I park the tractor. When it is off I park the tractor with the front end nested into the loader so it actually looks like it is connected, sometimes I even have to check to see. It takes up about the same space as if it were on. It gets used year round so I really never need to store it elsewhere and the weather/sun never get at it.

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
Thats what I was thinking, be nice to be able to move it around my workshop if its in the way over the winter. I can make room for it indoors if its mobile. Anything you do different when removing the loader onto the Dollys vs. the floor?
With the loader on the concrete in the shop, I measured the base, and cut a piece of plywood slightly larger. Placing two of the larger dollys under it with supporting 2x6’s, screwed it all together. It’s only about 4” off the ground, so it’s just about like putting it on the ground.
Only problem I have run into, while moving the loader around, if you get a little aggressive pushing it around, the loader can slide off the wood. I added a 2x6 in front of the blade, so I can’t push the loader off the home made dolly.

Last edited:

Jhtractor

Equipment
Apr 23, 2021
Wisconsin
Well done. Can you install loader back onto the tractor from there or do you need to get it off first?
Took it off and back on and then off again, no issues. The dolly is only 3" off the cement floor.

twomany

Equipment
B7200
Jul 10, 2017
Vermont
When the Allied 195 loader comes off the Hurlimann, it just sets on some scrap wood to keep it off the ground. Struts keep it in the correct position. "A flat surface" is relative! a 5 foot pinch bar helps to align just about anything around the door yard.

Dennis.D

Equipment
L6060, Erskine hydraulic snow blower, back hoe
Feb 16, 2018
Central, ME,USA
I have all my attachments on pallets or dollys except my 6' bush hog. I use my pallet forks to store some of them on racks stacked 2 or 3 high. I use a pallet jack on the floor to move those where I need them or move them out of the way. As long as you have a smooth hard surface to use a pallet jack that is the way to go. It also keeps everything inside out of the weather.

Reactions: 2 users