How do you fill your tank?

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
How controllable is the flow? I would like to pump fuel from a 5 gal container into a Mr Funnel filter that is held over the fuel tank. Too fast a flow and it would splash everywhere, and have to lift funnel every so often to see if tank is full yet.
I have not had an opportunity to even use it yet. Too busy.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I have a Mr. Funnel in the garage somewhere. I find them wasteful and messy. Might be okay for a smaller tank but no good for my big tanks on the M's. Never had a water in fuel issue anyway. I add Powerservice and the 2 filters pre pump seem to get everything but then my mechanical pumps are probably more forgiving that a common rail setup.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Some people on here mentioned having 500, 600 gallon tanks. A truck coming and filling that thing? How economical is that? I have a truck come fill my 1000 gallon propane tank. Would love to have a 500 gallon diesel tank filled the same way. As it stands, I have 8 VP Racing 5 gallon cans and it seems I'm always making trips to the station.
Normally it's $.15-.30 cents cheaper than the station prices. Sometimes it more than that if you catch it at the right time. Most companies have a minimum gallon to get it delivered free.

To me it's a win all the way around. They bring it to you for free, it's cheaper than the station and no more cans to deal with. If you get a tank try to find one with a drain on the bottom so you can drain water if needed. And get you a good filter like goldenrod so all your fuel is filtered.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Yep... Goldenrod water block filter with the clear bowl so you can see what is in it... Some people use old, discarded heating oil tanks or you can buy (or rent) a tank from your local farm diesel supplier. Usually, the rental tanks will come with built in containment wells.

Be apprised though, unless you plan on using a lot of diesel, a 250 or a 500 gallon tank will go a long time between fills so there is the always present issue of internal condensation and water which can breed algae so you need to add a biocide and drain off the water regularly.

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
After seeing TexasBoy's setup, I did the same thing in July of 2017. Here is my tank in the back of my truck one of the times I took it to fill it. I keep a spreadsheet of the amount of fuel in it so I can keep the weight low enough that my L3901DT can pick it up and move it. The last time I got fuel it was around 510 pounds, this include the weight of the tank. There is about 40 gallons of fuel in it. I have had over 60 gallons in it and was able to move it with no problems.

Last edited:

Mike9

Equipment
Kubota B6200
Oct 9, 2015
Ghent, NY
I just use a five gallon can. I put PS white and Stanadyne then four gallons of diesel. My tractor is older so it needs lubricity. I find five gallons a little heavy these days - four is manageable.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
For me too, especially with my recent shoulder rotator cuff surgery which is why I started looking for a suitable pump.

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
Video Neat looking way of setting 5 gallon can close to tank for filling :)

Myself I live close to station just drive up the road.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhDJAfdSC9o
This is exactly why I love OTT. I clicked the link and built it the same night, ordered the shake syphon from amazon. I do not use that much fuel per week but this thing works great.

Thanks for the heads up.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
How controllable is the flow? I would like to pump fuel from a 5 gal container into a Mr Funnel filter that is held over the fuel tank. Too fast a flow and it would splash everywhere, and have to lift funnel every so often to see if tank is full yet.
OK, I finally got an opportunity to use my HF fuel pump. As you can see, the sawmill's fuel jug is quite high. Yes, it can be filled in place but the spout is still well above waist high. Also the jug can be disconnected and brought down to ground level, but it still has to be lifted back to it's carrying rack. Filling it in place saves all of the lifting.

I made a detachable pickup tube with 1/2" PVC and a 3/4" elbow.

I have two different options for power. Here I used my "jump box" but I also have the option to use the sawmill battery which is very simple.

sheepfarmer, your question was regarding the ability to "feather" the flow. I am pleased to report that the nozzle is quite good and I could pinch it down to a trickle. Bottom line is that I am very pleased with this fuel refilling method.

(Looking at the pictures I see that I didn't even get a picture of the actual pump.) :mad:

Attachments

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Great! That is good to know! Thank you and to others that added suggestions. I have a great modified spout, thanks to yooper, but has gotten harder to lift jug up, especially to the B2650 tank which is in the middle of the hood.

flyidaho

Equipment
L 3301 HST
Feb 28, 2017
IDAHO
I too have noticed lately that 5 gallons of anything seems to weigh more now! Same with the 80 pound bags of concrete dry mix.

This same topic often comes up when refueling small airplanes in the field. I pump it electrically, the container stays on the ground, and I let a high flow fuel pump (made for high horse power hot rods etc., around $100.00, Summit Racing) do the work. The electrical draw off my small plane's battery is not enough to matter, and the best thing is I never overfill and spill a drop. That is so easy to do when using a 5 gallon jug, up pumping electrically frees you up to monitor the rising level. Time wise, it takes me a few minutes longer (about 1 gallon a minute) but I do something else, check the oil, etc., so no matter.

If my L3301's burn rate was high enough to warrant it (it's not even close) I'd do the same as I've done in my plane: permanently mount and hard wire a fuel transfer pump, with a dash mounted switch. A screened dipstick for the inlet, with enough hose to reach, and a PVC pipe holder for it when done.
Right now, for my modest tractor fuel needs, I just dump in 3 or 4 gallons when the gauge shows maybe 3/4 empty, so no fear of over filling, and easy peasy to lift. Just a big farm funnel, I have never had any issues with water etc. and don't mess with a Mr. Funnel etc.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
I too have noticed lately that 5 gallons of anything seems to weigh more now!
I had never given this a thought until I had my shoulder rotator cuff surgery last month. Maybe the pump will prevent any future shoulder problems. Of course all of this had nothing to do with 76 years of abuse. :rolleyes:

My thanks go to OTT and this topic to rattle my brain. Also to NIW for the links. Thanks Guys!

Last edited:

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
I followed through and expanded this fuel pump solution to refilling the lube jug on my sawmill. It too is 5 gallons and it's normal resting place on the sawmill is ~5' off of the ground.

My solution was to use a FloJet pump, some tubing, and a PVC pickup tube. It only takes a couple of minutes to pump the lube solution from ground level and fill the onboard jug. (I find no way to flip the last picture upright.)

Attachments

Last edited:

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
If you are one of us that burns fuel oil for your furnace, I put a transfer pump and hose in my furnace oil tank and fuel out of there. No playing with cans, nice and neat.

And I have a fuel transfer tank on my truck.