How do you chain down your tractor

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
The FMCSA is a program put in place for the trucking industry and for those trucks who cross state lines. Its a system put in place so all trucks going everywhere are all on the same page and there's no confusion as to what has to be done.

Kytim

Equipment
B6000DT, B7100DT,Snowplow, RM360, Scoop, Cultivator, Carryall,Disk, plow
Aug 14, 2009
Western Ky
Would seem so but each state can and does enact their own laws. Also it's those state vehical enforcement officers that patrol the highways not federal agents.

All in all it boils down to this, everyone should check and be responsible to follow statues of their own local and to move equipment in safe manner. As they say, the life you save may be your own.

Squirrel

Equipment
2008 L2800 TLB
Apr 18, 2012
West Milford, NJ
The FMCSA is a program put in place for the trucking industry and for those trucks who cross state lines. Its a system put in place so all trucks going everywhere are all on the same page and there's no confusion as to what has to be done.
Exactly! A driver (lucky or not) hitting every state need not have 48 different tie down means and methods. We all adhere to USDOT standards when it comes to motor vehicle design, safety, helmets, eye protection, etc...why not load securing. In fact our local, state, and county police enforce federal motor vehicle laws. Ever see a weigh station staffed by federalies?

I'll ask my next over the road delivery driver what he has to say. Thats the best source regardless. What the heck I'm just an electrician with a Kubota and the internet!!!:rolleyes:

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Each requirement is different for each load and the truck that it carries it on. If you take a dry van that has a load of pallets. All that is required is the pallets be shrink rapped and loaded together and as simple as a cargo bar is all that's needed to keep 14 pallets still from moving. If the dry van over turns and all those pallets go upside down its highly unlikely they'll end up all over the road making a bigger mess. Now with a flat bed trailer each and every item on that deck has to have separate tie downs on it. For example I drove a flat bed tractor trailer hauling concrete pipe. I hauled concrete structures for storm water and sewage collection. Every single piece of concrete had to have a chain or a strap depending on its size and weight. Have I lose you and got you confused yet?!!?
[/IMG]

Last edited: