How do I tell which mowing deck I have?

njc110381

Equipment
B4200
Aug 8, 2012
Gloucestershire, UK
Hi guys. I finally got a bit more free time to play with the tractor today. I decided that as I gave it a basic health check when I got it the next important step would be to have the cutting deck apart and check that's ok (up until today I'd only given the main engine and gearbox a once over).

As it turned out it's not too bad. No major corrosion, but I did snap off one of the belt cover bolts. :rolleyes: It didn't even feel that hard to undo but it sheared. Maybe a dodgy bolt or something, I was really surprised when it popped! Once I was inside I found a right old mess - it's not been cleaned out for a long time that's for sure! The belt looks badly worn and the blades also could do with a sharpen (I've used sharper strimmer line!).

My first problem that I can see is finding out which deck it is? Kubota list the RC44-42 or RC40-42 as standard fitment. As I need to get a belt (and I assume they are not the same on both) I need to know which it is. I've taken some pictures in case it's obvious, but a lack of Google images has left me coming to you guys for help. Do you recognise it?

If anyone does know which it is I'd be really grateful if you could post up a reply. I'm off on holiday tomorrow and I'm not sure if I can read my PM's on my phone so a post here will enable me to look up a part number and get it ordered ready for when I get home!

njc110381

Equipment
B4200
Aug 8, 2012
Gloucestershire, UK
Oh and one last thing. Getting those big blade bolts undone! Is there a special tool for it as it has a large hex depression in the middle for an allen key and also the hex bolt outer? It looks designed to take a massive amount of torque to shift it but I can't find a spindle lock? I can't shift them with anything I've got so I've soaked them in WD40 in the hope that after my week away they may be more willing to move?!

The blades are really blunt, I need to get them off to give them a sharpen and balance.

Profnohair

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1500, 42" bh, box blade, G6200HST, Mahindra 450 with BH, FEL, etc.
Hi guys. I finally got a bit more free time to play with the tractor today. I decided that as I gave it a basic health check when I got it the next important step would be to have the cutting deck apart and check that's ok (up until today I'd only given the main engine and gearbox a once over).

As it turned out it's not too bad. No major corrosion, but I did snap off one of the belt cover bolts. :rolleyes: It didn't even feel that hard to undo but it sheared. Maybe a dodgy bolt or something, I was really surprised when it popped! Once I was inside I found a right old mess - it's not been cleaned out for a long time that's for sure! The belt looks badly worn and the blades also could do with a sharpen (I've used sharper strimmer line!).

My first problem that I can see is finding out which deck it is? Kubota list the RC44-42 or RC40-42 as standard fitment. As I need to get a belt (and I assume they are not the same on both) I need to know which it is. I've taken some pictures in case it's obvious, but a lack of Google images has left me coming to you guys for help. Do you recognise it?

If anyone does know which it is I'd be really grateful if you could post up a reply. I'm off on holiday tomorrow and I'm not sure if I can read my PM's on my phone so a post here will enable me to look up a part number and get it ordered ready for when I get home!
On my RC48-G, there is a plate with a serial number and model number above it.

Also, it would seem to me that if you measure the blades from the extreme left to the extreme right as shown in the bottom view picture, that would give you your answer. If it is close to 40" it is a RC40-42 and close to 44" than it should be a RC44-42. I am not sure of this just assuming that this makes sense.

birddogger

May 29, 2011
Pittsburgh
That black label should say what model #, or is it obliterated?
I jam a 2x4 between the blade and the corner of one of the semicircular shrouds and then start cussing a lot. It usually takes a breaker bar and a cheater pipe to get them free. Block each blade separately, don't put the load through the gearbox.

When you sharpen the blades grind out nicks and gouges keeping the edge parallel to the original edge of the blade, don't round over the corner as that center blade shows; grind that out as far as practicable. Then put the angle back on the edge.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Yeah I take my blades off the same exact way, but I used an impact wrench to back them out and a torq wrench to put them back on with.

Big Kahuna

Equipment
Kubota 2000 L3010 HST with Loader ,1992 B7100HST , 1979 B6100E & 2007 F2880
Dec 23, 2011
Homer City, Pa.
Good day fellow member, your mower deck is a RC40-42 rear discharge.
Kubota belt part # A-70713-34770 size 5/8 X 84"
I would use no heat, just block the blades and a breaker bar or impact will take them off, don't use the Allen hex on the center bolt, you get a better bite with a socket. Nice little tractor, very well built.

Big Kahuna Back in the U.S of A.

birddogger

May 29, 2011
Pittsburgh
Heating the bolts will melt the grease seals on the bearings before the bolts come loose. Use some penetrating oil, Kroil if you can get that on your side of the pond, or Toyota makes a decent penetrant/rust breaker, that is available at dealers over here; almost as good as Kroil. Either one, apply it copiously and wait a day if you can.

njc110381

Equipment
B4200
Aug 8, 2012
Gloucestershire, UK
Well I finally got around to having a go at the deck. I've been away for a week and browsing the site on my phone but in the meantime my father has been spraying releasing fluid on the deck bolts every day. I set to them earlier with an 18" breaker bar and block of wood as suggested and two of the three came off just with steady hand pressure. The third was slightly less helpful but standing on the bar did the trick!

When I sharpened the blades they seemed quite soft. Is that normal? I usually run Honda push mowers and the blades on those really take some grinding but the ones fitted to my deck were quicker to sharpen even though they're twice as thick as the Honda ones?

Whilst I was away I got a new belt ordered too (kind of took a chance on that and luckily I bought the right one!) so fitted that. The old one was very badly worn, about 2/3 the width and less than half the depth of the new one! As I had the covers off I greased everything I could see that could need greasing and also removed a lot of the bolts and cleaned/greased the threads before refitting them. I also found that the spacers on the rear deck support wheels were pushing the wheels against the rear tyres so I refitted them to give some clearance and greased them too.

I'm off mowing tomorrow so will see what difference a good sharp set of blades and a new belt make. I thought I should take the chance to say a quick thankyou to you all for taking the time to offer your advice - the whole thing has gone very smoothly and would have been much harder without your help. I really appreciate it.

njc110381

Equipment
B4200
Aug 8, 2012
Gloucestershire, UK
I just got back from my mowing job and the newly serviced deck works a treat. I was having to mow in low 3rd to get a decent finish but now it will cut well in high 2nd. The grass isn't long so finish is everything - I was tempted to try high 3rd but figured that may be pushing it a bit. :D