How crazy are you about topping off your tank?

BobInSD

Equipment
L5740
Jun 23, 2020
South Dakota
... If water forms in the tank, it's going to the fuel filter. It has no choice since water is heavier than diesel.

My fuel tanks are vented. My fuel cans are not. Wet outside air can enter the tank when warm and drop moisture as it cools. The fuel cans not so much. They do squeeze down as it cools, and if I were to vent them on a warm, moist, day they would get water inside. I don't, so they don't.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
My fuel tanks are vented. My fuel cans are not. Wet outside air can enter the tank when warm and drop moisture as it cools. The fuel cans not so much. They do squeeze down as it cools, and if I were to vent them on a warm, moist, day they would get water inside. I don't, so they don't.
I meant the tank on the tractor. It should not be vented. Even a non-vented tank will only allow so much vacuum, though because otherwise it would implode/collapse. I don't have storage tanks. I don't use enough diesel to warrant storing more than 5 gallons.

BobInSD

Equipment
L5740
Jun 23, 2020
South Dakota
I meant the tank on the tractor. It should not be vented. Even a non-vented tank will only allow so much vacuum, though because otherwise it would implode/collapse. I don't have storage tanks. I don't use enough diesel to warrant storing more than 5 gallons.
I thought the tank on my tractor was vented? I'm not a diesel guy, but if it isn't it would be the first vehicle I ever owned that did not have a vented fuel tank.

Reactions: 1 user

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I thought the tank on my tractor was vented? I'm not a diesel guy, but if it isn't it would be the first vehicle I ever owned that did not have a vented fuel tank.
Bob - - yes, tractor tanks are vented, often a simple vent in the cap.

Otherwise, the fuel system would draw a vacuum to the point tractor wouldn't get fuel.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Vented to let air in, not out. I didn't state myself very well. Otherwise there would be a constant smell of fuel around the tractor. I NEVER smell diesel around my tractor unless the cap is off the tank and I'm pouring more in. This is by design. Venting fuel vapors constantly is probably not the safest situation. If you look at the cap closely, you'll see what I'm talking about.

McGyver

Equipment
L3240
Nov 9, 2022
Mica, WA
HORUSDY Gas Siphon
Do yourselves a favor and pick up an in-line gas tank siphon. You put your gas tank right on the hood of the tractor, shake the siphon a couple of times and the fuel flows directly into your tractor. Walk away and let it work! Best device I've found in a long time. Amazon and inexpensive!

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Putting the tank on the hood of my BX isn't going to work, since the tank fill is centered over the right rear tire.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users