Hooks: Weld or Bolt?

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
After all the input and discussing with my welder/neighbor I went with 5/16 weld on hook and mounting plate at each lift arm and a Anchor Hook in the middle, just placed the order with Ken. No plate for the Anchor Hook but neighbor seemed to think he had material to make one or just weld it straight to the bucket. I kind of like the idea of a supporting plate so we will see how it turns out when we do the job. Nice to have a good neighbor and thanks to Ken for his input.

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, FEL With QA 60"mmm, 3pt FDR1672,homemade ballast box, BB 1572 box scraper
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
After all the input and discussing with my welder/neighbor I went with 5/16 weld on hook and mounting plate at each lift arm and a Anchor Hook in the middle, just placed the order with Ken. No plate for the Anchor Hook but neighbor seemed to think he had material to make one or just weld it straight to the bucket. I kind of like the idea of a supporting plate so we will see how it turns out when we do the job. Nice to have a good neighbor and thanks to Ken for his input.
That will be a good set up. You will need your welder to cut out a piece of 1/4 plate to mount the anchor hook to the bucket in the center as the plate on top of the bucket is not wide enough. Look at my post and you will see what I mean. I just received another set of hooks I ordered from Ken that I have to weld on to an L 3800 bucket tomorrow that will be the same set up you are talking about.

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
Rkidd, your post pointed me to the anchor hook so thanks. I will be looking at your set up as we do the job for sure.

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, FEL With QA 60"mmm, 3pt FDR1672,homemade ballast box, BB 1572 box scraper
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
Rkidd, your post pointed me to the anchor hook so thanks. I will be looking at your set up as we do the job for sure.
You will be happy with the setup in the future when you have to do some rigging and lifting. If you have any other questions let me know. Good luck with new setup.

Forvols

Jan 28, 2017
Hawkins county TN
I put on 2 of Kens bolt on hooks 1 inline with each arm and a clevis on top in the middle of the bucket. Kubota L2501 with quick attach bucket. Very well made kit and easy install. Likely last years and exceed what my tractors lift specs are.

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
I put on 2 of Kens bolt on hooks 1 inline with each arm and a clevis on top in the middle of the bucket. Kubota L2501 with quick attach bucket. Very well made kit and easy install. Likely last years and exceed what my tractors lift specs are.
I thought about that set up also or with a 3/8 hook in the middle but after Rkidd's input decided to try the anchor hook. When I ran this by my neighbor he thought it was a good idea and he is an equipment operator. As Rkidd said you can use straps and cables more securely and after having just one hook on my 8N I understood that, had a few straps slip off over the years. Plus with my new bucket a strap will not scratch it up as much, I am sure the new will wear off but I would like to prolong it for a while, lol.

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
Stmar, I got the 3 hook setup I got from Kens bolt on hooks we had talked about, all welded and painted up for my neighbors L3800 yesterday. If yours isnt done yet, this will let you know what it will look like. One thing that was different on this 66" bucket from my 60" bucket is there was enough room on top to weld the anchor hook right to the top plate on the bucket without an additional 1/4 plate to make a long enough plate to support it.

View attachment 30264

View attachment 30265

View attachment 30266

View attachment 30267

View attachment 30268

Last edited:

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
Hope mine comes out as good, great looking job. My neighbor is very meticulous, as most welders are, so I am sure he will do a good job then it will be up to me to paint it. Thanks for the examples, good to see pictures.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Now this brings up another question about HOOKs,,,,,,Inside the bucket top of the bucket or behind the top of the bucket,,, Whats you ideas?

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Well I have seen hooks placed inside the bucket, and also on top of the bucket, and I have seen them placed on the back side of the top of the bucket.
The top of the bucket and the back side of the bucket might give a bit more lift distance , but Im thinking the hooks mounted inside the bucket would give a lot more protection to the operator should the lift part ways. I dont know, thats why Im asking to illuminate myself as well as others

wiltff

Equipment
L3800 HST & FEL. 66" LP Tiller, 72" EA Boxblade, 84" Woods disc, 96" rake
Aug 6, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
Well I have seen hooks placed inside the bucket, and also on top of the bucket, and I have seen them placed on the back side of the top of the bucket.
The top of the bucket and the back side of the bucket might give a bit more lift distance , but Im thinking the hooks mounted inside the bucket would give a lot more protection to the operator should the lift part ways. I dont know, thats why Im asking to illuminate myself as well as others
I have hooks mounted on top for carrying of logs and such but I do any pulling from inside the bucket to put something in front of me.

Attachments

jajiu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560 HSTC, Grader, Backhoe, Snow Plow, Pallet Forks
Jun 5, 2016
Rowley, Massachusetts
I use the bucket a lot for moving trailers. 3560 with b/h. The parts are HF and effective and inexpensive for the task. Did the welding with the bucket detached to avoid any issues with the electronics on the tractor.
That's a great set-up! I have to move some big boulders and want to put them on my trailer, but no way to move the trailer with the back-hoe on. I'll look into that. My dealer does a good job with the welding, I'll have them put one on when I take it to them for service. I don't have any welding equipment and when I did welding at the factory where I worked, it wasn't good.

Spectre381

Equipment
Kubota B2650, LA534 FEL, SGC0660 Grapple, 42" forks, ballast box, ratchet rake
Aug 18, 2016
NC
Finally broke down and ordered the weld-on plates, 5/16" hooks and clevis mounts with ½" shackles from Ken's bolt-on hooks. Put them on with the grab hooks pretty much in line with the lift cylinders and the shackles just inside that - all on top of the bucket. Not the prettiest weld job in the world, but I don't think they're going anywhere.

Thanks for the idea rkidd and thanks for a great product Ken!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk